Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by Carlsbad city offices today. Permit for Supercharger at Carlsbad Shoppes (by 78) got approved last week.

Found a new Supercharger in Carlsbad permit process #CBC2017-0600 Location is La Costa VONS at 7710 El Camino Real. Waiting for approval by city
Wait a sec... Am I understanding you correctly in that there will actually be two Carlsbad locations???

• Funny
Reactions: Vern Padgett
About a month ago, another permit was spotted for 7710 El Camino Real, which has nothing to do with a Vons, and is in a small mall. It is somewhat close to the 5 at La Costa, so a fairly quick drive from the 5.

The permit for 7710 says Vons next to it, at least according to the screen shot in this earlier post:

Supercharger - Carlsbad (permit found, construction not started yet)

Maybe the site is owned by Vons? Not really sure. Or maybe it's the city that is confused?

Just to clear up some confusion this post might bring. This thread originally started with a permit for 2525 El Camino Real, which is across the road from the Carlsbad Shoppes, and is in the parking lot of a Vons grocery store. It is also right off the 78 freeway. The post above says that this permit has now been approved.

About a month ago, another permit was spotted for 7710 El Camino Real, which has nothing to do with a Vons, and is in a small mall. It is somewhat close to the 5 at La Costa, so a fairly quick drive from the 5.

The post above seems to be conflating the two permits.

You know, from now on, whenever anyone posts anything about Carlsbad permits, please bring a frigging phone and take a picture of what you found and post it.

The permit for 7710 says Vons next to it, at least according to the screen shot in this earlier post:

Supercharger - Carlsbad (permit found, construction not started yet)

Maybe the site is owned by Vons? Not really sure. Or maybe it's the city that is confused?

7710 El Camino is owned by Vons, the building there used to have a Vons a few years back.
I am trying to reconcile the above posts:
There are two permits:
  1. 2525 El Camino Real, across from the the Carlsbad Shoppes, in the parking lot of an existing Vons.
    This is the first permit found at the start of this thread, and according to @USKiwi , finally approved just last week.
  2. 7710 El Camino Real, which is still owned by Vons, but no Vons actually there anymore.
    This was the permit found by @Teriyaki88 on December 19th, and according to @USKiwi , the permit is still in process.
This is interesting, in that if the 2nd permit posted was a replacement site for the first, then why did the first permit go through just last week? Either there will be 2 superchargers in Carlsbad, or there is a problem with the first site (other than a permitting problem) and Tesla just let the permit process go through without actually pulling the request. I am hoping for the former. Given that this has been the busiest commutes for Teslas in the country, and notoriously overcrowded, adding San Clemente, expanding FV, and adding 2 new locations here, along with the rumors of Irvine, then we may finally have secure and rapid access to charging along this route.

As someone mentioned, the Vons lot at 7710 El Camino used to be a Vons and has been closed for some time. There is an Equinox Gum in its location now and they are currently redoing the shopping center. I hope that it goes in as I live right up la Costa Avenue from this site.

2525 El Camino is not the Vons parking lot, it is a section of the Shoppes mall across the street, see picture from city records attached.

The city declined to show me the approved plans as the requester had not yet picked them up. However, when I was at city office in December, before permit was approved, the city employee verbally informed me that the requested location was near the new restaurant row Panera Bread, Yard house, Luna Grill etc
2525 El Camino.JPG

I checked out the site for 7710 El Camino Real about 3 days ago. The address is indeed the Equinox gym. After exploring the parking lot it seems there are 2 places that can feasibly setup a SC here.

First is in the overflow parking atop the hill. See first 2 pictures. Plenty of spaces. Out of the way so as not to intrude upon the main parking of the businesses.
67A389DD-A831-45FF-9FDF-07056BE6B094.jpeg
7DF37EBD-021A-4CFC-A40D-7B39521DA7BB.jpeg

The next is behind the gym, in front of the Bank of America. There is a row of parking here that has now been fenced off. No permits anywhere nor construction equipment beyond the fence (yet). What are your thoughts? See next pic.
65593139-E4BA-49E2-96C3-7E496F2A50C6.jpeg