Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When talking about thread nomenclature, why bother saying “permit found, construction started”. If construction has started, isn’t it a given that there is a permit in place?
Point taken. ;)

The “permit found” text came first and then I neglected to remove it once I added the “construction stated” text.

Reactions: bmah and 4SUPER9
Went by today. Lots of peeps busy workin’.

Attachments

• 9E073338-EBC5-4A2D-8A2A-E3A24E3A14FE.jpeg
    9E073338-EBC5-4A2D-8A2A-E3A24E3A14FE.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 124
  • 93642E94-5C01-4C35-A10E-E08F182E4F05.jpeg
    93642E94-5C01-4C35-A10E-E08F182E4F05.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 98
Went by yesterday. Wasn't super busy during lunch. This picture shows what looks like the conduit for either extending the HV line to the upper parking lot, or for the 480V feed to the upper parking lot. The upper parking lot is behind the fencing.

I wonder if that will pass a code inspection, or if they are going to be forced to relocate it further away from the hydrant?

I wonder if that will pass a code inspection, or if they are going to be forced to relocate it further away from the hydrant?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

They didn’t need to run it by the hydrant. They could have trenched a bit left of that hydrant and missed it entirely. To me it reeks of expediency in trying to not have to core drill through that retaining wall. And they needed to use metal conduit as a result.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This seems to be one of the most difficult sites to photograph. Who has a drone?
Probably not worth the bother just yet. All there is is trenching and a pile of 3-4 inch electrical conduit. Hard to imagine anything but a supercharger site needing that much electrical conduit of such a large size.

There isn't much room on site for equipment laydown until they get the underground work done and the site re-leveled so I doubt you'll see Tesla crates just yet.. They have been busily working both times I cruised by recently though. I pass here 2X a week. Might be easier to snoop on a Sunday when activity is down.

Most of this shopping center is old and mangy looking, but the owner seems to be doing a lot of construction work on the structures to spruce it up contributing to the safety issue of wandering around. There is a new fancy looking building housing a gym right along La Costa just downhill from the site. That parking lot area was 95%+ full at noon on a Tuesday. Maybe a third of the rest of the structures look empty. Those parking lots were less occupied. If they get this shopping center fixed up, there really isn't a ton of parking though this lot is up a hill and the least convenient area to the shops.

Getting close means either climbing a dusty, slippery hill or dodging the construction equipment that is zipping around from all the activity. There are also power lines and trees so anyone using a drone needs to take care. And like I said, there isn't much beyond dirt right now.

Went by there this afternoon. It was busy. They are still actively grading, but it looks like they've buried most if not all their conduit already.

First up, here's the parking lot from the point of view of the parking lot entrance. They have cut out some of the hillside, so presumably some equipment is going to go there. SC cabinets? Switch gear? Solar battery packs? You can see four gray conduits sticking up in front of the white wall - those are where SC pedestals will go. Also note the steel plates on the road leading to the parking lot - I'd guess that's the tie in for the high voltage line.

015ccf404220330d1f3e60ee414.jpg

They completed these huge conduits by the (abandoned?) fire hydrant:

0126db6c86eb457d614c04ec94e.jpg

These conduits feed a lower area that looks like it is getting a major reconstruction shown below. You can see the two big red capped conduits poking out of concrete cubes. It also looks like they are building some new pretty big concrete pads here.
01744f91b9f4b29159b0156a70d.jpg

Finally, near the entrance to the parking lot, I noticed a pile of hefty metal girders. Supports for overhead PV panels?
01da5b9c4efa5dec752c0d4cb3d.jpg

Oh, also I ran into a professional photographer while I was there. He was hired by the property owner to document progress. He commented that the entire mall will be upgraded stage by stage. Indeed the building nearest to this parking lot is getting a major remodel right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett