Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an interesting statistic. I travel to Charleston from Atlanta frequently. I wish they had an SC there. Charleston is probably one of the most visited cities in South Carolina. I'm fortunate in that the friends I visit let me charge in their garage while I'm there but Charleston really needs a nice SC. They have some pretty good wall chargers on Hungry Neck Blvd near the IOP causeway but obviously this just isn't the same....
It still baffles me that there is no Supercharger in Charleston.

That's an interesting statistic. I travel to Charleston from Atlanta frequently. I wish they had an SC there. Charleston is probably one of the most visited cities in South Carolina. I'm fortunate in that the friends I visit let me charge in their garage while I'm there but Charleston really needs a nice SC. They have some pretty good wall chargers on Hungry Neck Blvd near the IOP causeway but obviously this just isn't the same....
We ended up installing a 240v plug on the wall of a friend in Summerville’s house. So at least my wife can charge when she visits her friend.

Hopefully this helps move some critical pieces forward.... new position based out of Charlotte!

Tesla has posted a job in late April to get a "Supercharger Installation Manager" or "Installation Manager, Charging Infrastructure"
The Supercharger Installation Manager role entails active program coordination of all deployment phases of Tesla’s Supercharger projects, including construction feasibility diligence, layout and design, utility design and easements, permitting, construction, site commissioning, and closeout. The ideal candidate has relevant hands-on experience managing infrastructure projects (up to thirty projects at one time across multiple states/provinces) and demonstrates a bias to action, logical problem solving, and mastery of a project’s tactical details. Finally, s/he brings high energy and an optimistic approach to fully completing projects in a swift and quality manner.

The listing is here Installation Manager, Charging Infrastructure | Tesla

Not sure if this means anything but a new Supercharger just opened in Hardeeville. Not sure if this means anything for a Supercharger in Charleston
43B59210-183F-4A5C-85F0-810EC4217251.jpeg

supercharge.info just posted a new 8 station V3 Supercharger location at Hardeeville. SC at junction of I-95 and US-17.

Didn't see that coming, but it greatly reduces the load on the V2 chargers at Savannah airport, and is, I suppose, more useful if approaching Charleston from the South.

Thanks!

Didn't see that coming, but it greatly reduces the load on the V2 chargers at Savannah airport, also helpful for people approaching Charleston from the South.

Woohoo!!!!!!!! Savannah airport was extra driving, out of the way, slow, and often had broken stalls. This is amazing news!!!

The address is: 16319 Whyte Hardee Blvd, Hardeeville, SC

Also, word is Tesla is actively scouting for a Charleston location. No location determined yet, no ETA.

The Hardeeville Supercharger is a welcome addition. The Savannah one is the worst. But Charleston is still a glaring omission. At least this disproves some recent theories that Tesla is semi-boycotting South Carolina for a while. Hopefully a Charleston supercharger, service centers in Greenville/Columbia/Charleston, and a Supercharger somewhere on I-26 - in that order - are in the future (seriously, going down to Charleston and having to take the Columbia or Santee detour on the way is infuriating).

Reactions: Kacey Green
The Hardeeville Supercharger is a welcome addition. The Savannah one is the worst. But Charleston is still a glaring omission. At least this disproves some recent theories that Tesla is semi-boycotting South Carolina for a while. Hopefully a Charleston supercharger, service centers in Greenville/Columbia/Charleston, and a Supercharger somewhere on I-26 - in that order - are in the future (seriously, going down to Charleston and having to take the Columbia or Santee detour on the way is infuriating).

Totally agree we need a SC in Charleston, and surely we’ll have one by year end. But I’m not even sure Tesla can legally build a Service / Delivery center in South Carolina at this time. This state has some of the most restrictive dealer franchise laws in the country, unfortunately. Ironic that the auto dealers association argues against Tesla’s direct sales model in part because they say service will suffer without franchised dealers, and then the application of the law PREVENTS Tesla from opening a Service Center here. Anyway, Senate Bill 379 was introduced last year in the South Carolina legislature to amend the existing code to allow manufacturers of electric vehicles to sell directly, but it is stuck in the Senate Transportation Committee presently. I would encourage everyone to write your State House Rep and Senator urging them to support this bill.

Senate Bill 379 was introduced last year in the South Carolina legislature to amend the existing code to allow manufacturers of electric vehicles to sell directly, but it is stuck in the Senate Transportation Committee presently. I would encourage everyone to write your State House Rep and Senator urging them to support this bill.

The dealership lobby is too powerful. This bill will probably be abandoned.

The dealership lobby is too powerful. This bill will probably be abandoned.

They are powerful, but not as powerful as us! Remember, all politicians (Dems, Reps & others) all want one thing above all else...to get RE-elected. They need money for sure which is why lobbying groups like the dealers have influence, but they also need VOTES and lots of them. There are hundreds of Tesla owners in Charleston and thousands across South Carolina. If each of us writes our State House Rep and State Senator about this Bill, its chances of passage go way up. Also important to remember Volvo has a huge voice in this state thanks to their massive investment near Ridgeville. Well Volvo wants half of their sales to be BEV in 5 years. And Polestar, Volvo’s new all electric brand, looks to be mimicking Tesla with retail spaces and online ordering, no dealers. SB 379 does not mention Tesla, it merely says manufacturers of electric cars may sell directly. This could apply to Polestar as well which I imagine Volvo would support. Bottom line, write your representatives about this and push for change.

Sure. Let’s rename it to “Supercharger - Charleston, SC plus other topics of interest to those in Charleston and the surrounding area including how to help Tesla overcome ridiculous laws in South Carolina that are anti-competitive and currently prevent Tesla from doing business in our state.”

Or, and I’m just spit balling here, we could leave it as is.

They are powerful, but not as powerful as us! Remember, all politicians (Dems, Reps & others) all want one thing above all else...to get RE-elected. They need money for sure which is why lobbying groups like the dealers have influence, but they also need VOTES and lots of them. There are hundreds of Tesla owners in Charleston and thousands across South Carolina. If each of us writes our State House Rep and State Senator about this Bill, its chances of passage go way up. Also important to remember Volvo has a huge voice in this state thanks to their massive investment near Ridgeville. Well Volvo wants half of their sales to be BEV in 5 years. And Polestar, Volvo’s new all electric brand, looks to be mimicking Tesla with retail spaces and online ordering, no dealers. SB 379 does not mention Tesla, it merely says manufacturers of electric cars may sell directly. This could apply to Polestar as well which I imagine Volvo would support. Bottom line, write your representatives about this and push for change.

I'm with you for sure. I think the dealership lobby will still drown us out when it comes down to voting time though :(

Since there is now news on a Supercharger there

Huh? Where is the news about a Supercharger in Charleston?