Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charleston, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charleston WV supercharger!!

I may have the most travel impactful "supercharger opening" story yet.

Next week we are driving from Florida to visit my wife's family, about 70miles south of Charleston. We then drive back to Florida and then fly out a day later from Orlando to Detroit (4 tickets) to visit my family. I drive a 60 so the gap was to big north of her family. Spanning this would have taken me hundreds of miles out of the way. So we were going to drive 17 hours south to then pay for 4 plane tickets to fly 25 hours north the next day. I read this thread for the first time today

Many people talk about how the opening of a new supercharger will save then a couple of hours of charging or driving...

Wow, This supercharger opening just gained me 2 days of time with family, about a $1000 in plane tickets refunds, an extra visit to a family relative in Knoxville on the way home (not possible at 30k ft), and we get a car to use while we're in Michigan.

I hope Tesla knows how amazingly impactful these Superchargers are that are not just to handle high capacity areas, but actually gap holes in our freeway system.

Thanks Tesla!
Nice! Are you aware of the planned Supercharger in West Melbourne?
Supercharger - West Melbourne, FL

Any local information?

Charleston WV supercharger!!

I may have the most travel impactful "supercharger opening" story yet...

I love (and rated your post as such) posts like this. Most Superchargers added complete a path that allows somebody to make an electric trip they couldn't before.

Anyway, on a more general point, this Supercharger reduces the biggest gap on I-64 from 350 miles to 195 miles, making it traversable in larger-battery Teslas. Tesla's plans include Beckley, WV (2017) and Eberfeld, IN (not 2017) but that would still leave the 168 mile gap from Lexington, KY to Charleston, WV.

For I-77 there's still 250 miles from Charleston, WV to the end at I-90 in Cleveland, OH _but_ Cambridge, OH seems to be under construction. (There's a thread for Cambridge, OH that now has pictures that look like they've dug and laid the conduit for the distribution+Supercharger slab.)

Tesla still not showing it nor does Plugshare is I hesitate to take my trip in3 days until confirmed. HellTown can you confirm?
Villa, there are some Tesla owners around Charleston listed on Plug Share with HPWCs. You might want to get in touch with one of them as a backup plan if Tesla doesn't officially open the Supercharger before your trip.

Last edited:
Any chance you could shoot an image of your display while it is charging, so we could lay this to rest?

Thanks much.

I don't think it's a "trust" issue. If someone on here says they've used it, I tend to trust them.

I believe the issue is that until Tesla 100% blesses it (And it shows up on their map), it could be unreliable as others have seen supercharger sites go offline after they've used them but before Tesla completely acknowledged they were live. So even if someone sends you a picture, until it shows on the Tesla maps, you're taking a chance (Albeit I believe a very small one.)

Any chance you could shoot an image of your display while it is charging, so we could lay this to rest?

My route on Thursday morning has to rely on being able to get a full charge in Charleston. Otherwise alternate routes offer a longer journey to skirt around this spot.

Thanks much.

I think if you are asking the question of proof like that, you need to just plan that this charger will not be officially signed off on and showing on your NAV screen by Thursday; therefore plan accordingly. While there is a chance someone could be trolling, I highly doubt it's the guy who's been giving us updates and pictures the last 3 weeks.

However, if you are feeling adventurous and trustworthy, this could restore your faith in humanity and the universe in general.

Large choices here.....

Reactions: 1101011
I think if you are asking the question of proof like that, you need to just plan that this charger will not be officially signed off on and showing on your NAV screen by Thursday; therefore plan accordingly. While there is a chance someone could be trolling, I highly doubt it's the guy who's been giving us updates and pictures the last 3 weeks.
However, if you are feeling adventurous and trustworthy, this could restore your faith in humanity and the universe in general.
Large choices here.....

Well, I've mapped my trip with a number of variables. Thursday will come irrespective of my trepidation. Since my appointment does not have slack, I can take the 'roundabout route to go south. Re-evaluation from there might instill more confidence for the more direct route on the return.

Apologies to Helltown for doubting veracity.

Well, I've mapped my trip with a number of variables. Thursday will come irrespective of my trepidation. Since my appointment does not have slack, I can take the 'roundabout route to go south. Re-evaluation from there might instill more confidence for the more direct route on the return.

Apologies to Helltown for doubting veracity.
This would be a great troll though, right? Like, maybe you made an enemy somewhere along the way and they found out about your trip, and then they went through all this effort to sabotage you so that you missed your appointment. Epic.

• Funny
Reactions: kevinf311
It's official now!

Attachment-1.jpeg

Yes, it's showing on the navigation map in my Tesla so it indeed must be official. But Tesla has apparently not yet entered all the data into their computer systems. If I navigate eastward through West Virginia where I-64 would be the shortest route, it still routes me the longer way around West Virginia, as if that Supercharger didn't exist. And it's still showing as a grey "future" Supercharger on the map at Tesla.com.