Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I grabbed some juice here Monday night as I was in Charlotte and hadn't seen the new supercharger yet even though I can make it to Charlotte and back with ~20 miles of buffer at the speed I normally drive. No other Model S were seen in the short time I was there but I had two people interested in my car who hadn't seen any Model S plugged in there yet. One had no idea other than "are those car chargers?" while the other was pretty familiar with Tesla. I would say this tells me the Charlotte Tesla owners needs to get out and educate more but I won't say that as my home area is probably much much worse :wink: Some people say Tesla superchargers are a form of advertisement and this location meets that bill! The parking lot for the plaza was mostly full but the supercharger area was probably the least filled area so that was good as far as placement of the superchargers...

Reactions: copyhacker
8 Tesla's showed up at the Charlotte SC and juiced up and as we were leaving 2 more T's showed up. A lady from Durham, and man & wife from Texas.

IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1809.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG

For folks in and around Charlotte, I happened to spend the weekend at the Residence Inn Downtown for a wedding. It is immediately next to the baseball and football stadiums, and there is a huge parking garage nearby which included 17 EV chargers. Parking rate is fairly high, but some of the chargers are free and some ChargePoint.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I just want to add that South End has public chargers curbside by some of the restaurants on South Blvd and I'm sure there are others available around town (Publix in Ballantyne and Whole Foods in Southpark come to mind). I'm just so happy to see them around town, especially when in use.

For folks in and around Charlotte, I happened to spend the weekend at the Residence Inn Downtown for a wedding. It is immediately next to the baseball and football stadiums, and there is a huge parking garage nearby which included 17 EV chargers. Parking rate is fairly high, but some of the chargers are free and some ChargePoint.

The ChargePoints are also free - or were the last time I was thee. You just need the ChargePoint card to activate them.

I'm sitting at the Charlotte SC now. Anyone have any idea why I'm getting a constant 50kW charge. All the way from 1% to 37% currently. I have a 60 and have routinely gotten 90kW at Atlanta, Decatur, Tifton, and Chartanooga when plugging in below 10% SOC and a taper down to around 50kW at 55%. Seriously it has been steady at 335V and 150A and I tried 2A, 3A, and now 4B.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and someone was charging at the stall that was (I think) the 5th one from the charging enclosure. They were getting a really slow rate and decided to move over one stall which gave them a much higher charge rate. I can't be 100% sure which stall he was originally in but it was close to the center, and I think it was the 5th from the enclosure. I used the 2nd stall and had full rate without issue.

Stopped by for a charge today...plugged in at 3A so I wouldn't pair, but there was no power at 3A. Same at 3B so I had to pair with a Model X on 4A (he was on 4B). Fortunately he was near the end so my charge was pretty powerful from the get-go. When I cam back out the guy was sitting in the Model X so I asked him if he had tried the two "3" chargers. Turns out he was a Tesla technician doing maintenance on the superchargers and he had 3A and 3B off when I arrived. I have never encountered techs at superchargers doing maintenance.

Stopped by for a charge today...plugged in at 3A so I wouldn't pair, but there was no power at 3A. Same at 3B so I had to pair with a Model X on 4A (he was on 4B). Fortunately he was near the end so my charge was pretty powerful from the get-go. When I cam back out the guy was sitting in the Model X so I asked him if he had tried the two "3" chargers. Turns out he was a Tesla technician doing maintenance on the superchargers and he had 3A and 3B off when I arrived. I have never encountered techs at superchargers doing maintenance.
The only time in the last 2 years that I've seen any Tesla technicians at a SuC was at that same site, FWIW.

The only time in the last 2 years that I've seen any Tesla technicians at a SuC was at that same site, FWIW.

Same, but I charge at that site once a week on average due to having to travel to Charlotte frequently for work, so I'm likely to see things happening there. I've seen maintenance on that site three times I believe. Never a full outage, only outage of select stalls that maintenance was performed on.

I wonder if the latest maintenance was related to the degraded charging speed I saw on the 1A stall a week ago. Moved to the 4A stall and got full speed. For anyone interested, I plugged into 4A and had full current for a short time and then it dropped steeply over a 1 minute period to around 50kw and wobbled around there for a while, never going above about 65. Moved over to 1A and got about 85kw initially, which was exactly what it should have been for that point in the taper, and the taper was perfect after that. Below are the TeslaFi graphs:

Stall 1A
2017-05-14_9-21-50.jpg

Stall 4A
2017-05-14_9-22-06.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Drucifer
I usually pull into 1A, but on Monday someone pulled into 1B while I was having lunch so my charge slowed, which I didn't realize until I returned to the car, so I moved to 4A. Since Tesla servers send messages when you're getting close to full, how about they send a message to both cars when someone doubles up? I have met a number of recent owners who don't know that shared chargers reduce charging speed. I left a grumpy note on the silver S's windshield explaining the matter and suggesting they do some research to understand the issue.

Reactions: Drucifer