Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Childress,TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla must really be having a problem getting a site in Wichita Falls. BerTX's routing notwithstanding, it makes little sense to have a supercharger in Childress without one in Wichita Falls to make it stress-free to travel on US 287 (the hypotenuse of the DFW-OKC-Amarillo triangle).

I agree, just had to use Denton SC to go north on 287 and it adds an hour+ to my drive plus the charging time. I was only able to make the jump because of warm weather and a tailwind. It was 91° with a 10-15mph tailwind, I left Denton with 96% SOC and arrived Childress with 6%. No speeding or agressive driving but no drafting or hyper mile tactics either.

Once the Arlington SC opens I might try it instead of Denton. But I'm guessing it wouldn't save much time.

Welcome to Texas and congratulations on successfully running the gauntlet presented by the "Supercharger to Nowhere." The return from Denton to Childress is also possible, but can be more challenging due to the winds. We've had 85s report having to be 10-15 under the posted speed to make it successfully.
You also gain 1200 ft. of elevation from Denton to Childress. It's a challenge.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas and bollar
@mkjayakumar good catch... my grace-period to edit has expired. As I understand it, 1,000' elevation gain is +6 RM needed; while 1,000' descent is -6RM needed. As the difference going down versus up (2 x 1,600' elevation) is 3,200', it would take about 18 more RM if fighting gravity going from Denton to Childress. So assuming no winds, flats, windows up, (throwing the kids out to walk, heh!), that 75D would have had 14 range miles to spare, if driving up hill, instead of the 32 range miles to spare.

Translated to my S 70D (240 RM v. 249 RM, per EPA), I could do the Denton->Childress with 5 range miles to spare. Sounds like fun ;).

@mkjayakumar good catch... my grace-period to edit has expired. As I understand it, 1,000' elevation gain is +6 RM needed; while 1,000' descent is -6RM needed. As the difference going down versus up (2 x 1,600' elevation) is 3,200', it would take about 18 more RM if fighting gravity going from Denton to Childress. So assuming no winds, flats, windows up, (throwing the kids out to walk, heh!), that 75D would have had 14 range miles to spare, if driving up hill, instead of the 32 range miles to spare.

Translated to my S 70D (240 RM v. 249 RM, per EPA), I could do the Denton->Childress with 5 range miles to spare. Sounds like fun ;).

I've read more like -10 going uphill and +6 going downhill and that has more or less matched my experience.

Tesla must really be having a problem getting a site in Wichita Falls. BerTX's routing notwithstanding, it makes little sense to have a supercharger in Childress without one in Wichita Falls to make it stress-free to travel on US 287 (the hypotenuse of the DFW-OKC-Amarillo triangle).
I was looking at this over the Christmas holiday (coming from Houston) and almost convinced myself that Waco -> Sweetwater/Cisco -> Childress was practical in a P85. You get up on the plateau on the way to Sweetwater/Cisco, and are then going northbound while going up to Childress.

I chickened out, though...

Reactions: vrykolas
Heh! Thanks. First Tesla trip to Texas. I'm appreciating the mild weather, though I'm still sweating having enough charge to get out of Dallas (next stop, Bryan). Found a level 2 nearby at Whole Foods, near a bunch of restaurants, so will go there for a long dinner if all else fails -- the hotel (here for a conference) has no charging available.
I assume Nav will route you through Corsicana, but I would go through Waco (Bellmead) so you'll have more charge while in Bryan. You'll be hanging out in a Collin Street Bakery either way.

If you're in a pinch while in DFW, there are many Tesla owners on Plugshare that would be happy to help - some of whom may actually be This Is True subscribers...

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I was looking at this over the Christmas holiday (coming from Houston) and almost convinced myself that Waco -> Sweetwater/Cisco -> Childress was practical in a P85. You get up on the plateau on the way to Sweetwater/Cisco, and are then going northbound while going up to Childress.

I chickened out, though...

I did Sweetwater to Childress the other day in my MS60D. I see what you mean, the climb is in the Waco=>Cisco leg, but it is more manageable in length.

Do be alert if going from Sweetwater to Childess, though, as the car Nav will try to route you through Abilene. Just go up TX-70 and across on FM-57. 40 miles shorter and same speed limits.

I assume Nav will route you through Corsicana, but I would go through Waco (Bellmead) so you'll have more charge while in Bryan. You'll be hanging out in a Collin Street Bakery either way.

Thanks for the tip.

If you're in a pinch while in DFW, there are many Tesla owners on Plugshare that would be happy to help - some of whom may actually be This Is True subscribers...

I'm 3/4 mile from a Whole Foods with a ChargePoint-linked (but free) 30A, so the past two days I parked there and had leisurely lunches, so I think I'm good. In exchange, my wife and I bought a bunch of stuff there. And I should have thought of looking on Plugshare: I put my home charger on there too once it went hot. :)

And oh! Are you a subscriber?

Thanks for the tip.

I'm 3/4 mile from a Whole Foods with a ChargePoint-linked (but free) 30A, so the past two days I parked there and had leisurely lunches, so I think I'm good. In exchange, my wife and I bought a bunch of stuff there. And I should have thought of looking on Plugshare: I put my home charger on there too once it went hot. :)

Is This True?

Thanks for the tip.

I've got nothing to add in this thread other than to say I like your avatar picture. One of the things that drive me nuts when I see it. I know on forums like this that English may not be everyone's native language, but still makes me cringe.

Good luck on your journey!

English not being a native language is not an excuse to make such blunders. Breaks and Brakes are basic words with completely different meanings. I can excuse folks in sentence formations but not on simple words used everyday. It is just being lazy.. and I am quite often guilty of that too, but I am not going to find an excuse that my native language is not English.

I've got nothing to add in this thread other than to say I like your avatar picture. One of the things that drive me nuts when I see it.

I'll post it here for context since I do change my avatar out from time to time -- though I've left this one extra-long to make the point since it drives ... me ... crazy. I'll probably change it soon (but keep this around to use it again later :rolleyes: ).

breaks brakes.png

• Funny
Reactions: vrykolas
Doubtful but possible, as I just made the trip going exactly the speed limit, in a 90 with a full charge from Denton, and arrived at 14%
Just made the Denton to Childress drive (10.15.2017) in a 75. Charged to 100% in Denton arriving easily in Childress with 5%...When I set off from Denton(50°F), my driving technique for the first 80 miles was power output control with a steady right foot. (Tesla, please offer us a Power Control in addition to Speed Control) After passing through WF, my est SOC had jumped from 5% to 11%, so on came Autopilot at 75mph arriving at the Childress Supercharger having had used about 60kW.