Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Childress,TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just made the Denton to Childress drive (10.15.2017) in a 75. Charged to 100% in Denton arriving easily in Childress with 5%...When I set off from Denton(50°F), my driving technique for the first 80 miles was power output control with a steady right foot. (Tesla, please offer us a Power Control in addition to Speed Control) After passing through WF, my est SOC had jumped from 5% to 11%, so on came Autopilot at 75mph arriving at the Childress Supercharger having had used about 60kW.

Sounds about right. I did this in a P85 this summer with about 1000lbs of gear. Started at 98% SOC and arrived at 9%. Did do some drafting of a Semi for about 60-70 miles, as I got a little twitchy during one stretch, but when I got within 20 miles of Denton I was blasting at 85 mph and not caring.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515 and arcus
Childress to Denton route is a bit tight but can be achieved -- last October/November I got close to 100% charge in Childress (getting to 100% takes a long time) and, drove slowly for the first half, and when I was about 60 miles out from Denton, felt comfortable enough to increase my road speed.
IIRC, I arrived with about 26 miles of rated range in my older S85.
It was at night in pitch blackness (except for the flashing red lights from all the wind turbines), not much traffic, probably mild winds, variable condition roads with some construction.

Hmm...
In my mind, Denton to Childress trek has at least two things counting against it: Elevation change (increase) and (possible) strong head and/or cross winds.
My alternate path TO Childress in August 2017 took me Denton to Childress via Ardmore.
Got a close to full charge (~95%) in Ardmore, and then drove mostly backroads West toward Childress (like 180+ miles).
Certainly not the most direct routing, but I arrived without any "range anxiety" white knuckles, driving at a fair rate of speed.

Another Option might be the previously mentioned strategy of grabbing a supplemental L2 charge somewhere from Denton to Childress as there are several RV parks on the route. If it is really cold and windy weather, this might make an uncomfortable range (driving from either direction) scenario a lot more palatable.

A S100D or a LR M3 would have no problem for this route in either direction.
OR a lot of other Model S with Dual Motors.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
If you had tailwind speeds, then you were lucky. That is the exception to the rule for that stretch. I did a similar drive from Ardmore to Childress and had trouble making it. I had charged my S90D to 90% the night before and wished I had gone back to the Ardmore supercharger for a top-off before heading out. The winds were NOT in my favor that day lol.

If you had tailwind speeds, then you were lucky. That is the exception to the rule for that stretch. I did a similar drive from Ardmore to Childress and had trouble making it. I had charged my S90D to 90% the night before and wished I had gone back to the Ardmore supercharger for a top-off before heading out. The winds were NOT in my favor that day lol.
... and then ?

This is a great thread guys thanks for sharing. I should not even attempt it in S 75 then. Will have to wait for Wichita Falls SC to open first. Or detour to Burkburnett and sip some power off DC at Best Western Red River.

This is a great thread guys thanks for sharing. I should not even attempt it in S 75 then. Will have to wait for Wichita Falls SC to open first. Or detour to Burkburnett and sip some power off DC at Best Western Red River.
I think you can attempt, just be sure to charge to 99+%, lower your suspension, look at the wind forecast and start off driving under the speed limit. And have a plan B such as charging at a level 2 along the way or detouring to Ardmore or something like that.

• Helpful

You can make it...just play it safe the first 80 miles or so. After WF, you can drive as normal. Based on experience in a MS 75 with coil suspension, range mode on, and no heater except seats.

• Helpful
I just did Childress to Denton 3 weeks ago in my S85. I drafted behind some semis for about 30 miles, and arrived with about 15% range remaining.

On the return trip I used PurpleWalt’s method. I didn’t want to risk it, so had a nice dinner in Ardmore at Interurban while I charged to 95%. I was able to go 5 mph over limit most of the way but arrived with only 15 miles left in Childress.

Wichita Falls would make life much nicer between Dallas and Amarillo. At least we don’t have to go though OKC anymore,,,,

During the Christmas break we tried a trip to Albuquerque via the Denton to Childress route and we failed miserably. It looked somewhat promising on 380 west but, about 10 minutes into the 1st climb on 287 we got the "red error of death". We pushed through and decided to stop at an RV park in Vernon. As a side note a lot of folks seem to like to go to the Hampton inn since there is a HPWC(206V 40A) but, the RV park (Rocking A RV) will charge you faster (240V 40A). Our wh/mile average was ~400 but, once we decided we weren't going to make it to Childress, we stopped driving slow (55-60ish) and just headed to the Vernon RV park at around 65-70ish. After that it was smooth sailing as we hopped from SpC to SpC. On the way back we went the I40 to I35 and hit the SpCs the whole way. The trip back ended up being about an hour quicker even though it was longer since we never had to do any L2 charging. Most importantly there were no white knuckle moments and I have resolved to take that route until the Wichita Falls SpC comes online. Below are a few more details about the trip.

P85+ 21" Turbine with Michelin PSS
38 psi front 40 psi rear
34 degrees In Denton
Winds 7 mph from west
5 people luggage
Start percentage 97%
Start rated miles 253

During the Christmas break we tried a trip to Albuquerque via the Denton to Childress route and we failed miserably. ... Below are a few more details about the trip.

38 psi front 40 psi rear
34 degrees In Denton
Winds 7 mph from west
5 people luggage
Start percentage 97%
Start rated miles 253

@ShaneT Nice writeup about a route I'm inclined to take in next 12 months. I would say you failed gracefully rather than miserably. There are almost always alternatives to the SuperChargers -- which I've frequently relied on as I pass through the Texas triangle bounded by I-45; I-35 and I-10. Winds are something to really keep in mind, as well as the elevation gain. I think the in-dash nav accounts for elevation in its estimates, but not the winds. As for *red errors*, I've frequently driven with arrival predicted/depicted to occur with only a few % battery -- beyond yellow and into the 'red'.

Incidentally, I drove through the void that existed (just) before the Nacogdoches SuperCharger was installed (NE Houston to Shreveport), and with nice October weather, got a 15 minute charge at an unattended RV park. Talking to the owner via the phone, they said to just leave $5.00 in their mailbox..., which I assume is a good starting point for these quick, stop-gap negotiations.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride!

@ShaneT Nice writeup about a route I'm inclined to take in next 12 months. I would say you failed gracefully rather than miserably. There are almost always alternatives to the SuperChargers -- which I've frequently relied on as I pass through the Texas triangle bounded by I-45; I-35 and I-10. Winds are something to really keep in mind, as well as the elevation gain. I think the in-dash nav accounts for elevation in its estimates, but not the winds. As for *red errors*, I've frequently driven with arrival predicted/depicted to occur with only a few % battery -- beyond yellow and into the 'red'.

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride!

"Gracefully" ok sure I'll take that :) Thanks

During the Christmas break we tried a trip to Albuquerque via the Denton to Childress route and we failed miserably. It looked somewhat promising on 380 west but, about 10 minutes into the 1st climb on 287 we got the "red error of death". We pushed through and decided to stop at an RV park in Vernon. As a side note a lot of folks seem to like to go to the Hampton inn since there is a HPWC(206V 40A) but, the RV park (Rocking A RV) will charge you faster (240V 40A). Our wh/mile average was ~400 but, once we decided we weren't going to make it to Childress, we stopped driving slow (55-60ish) and just headed to the Vernon RV park at around 65-70ish. After that it was smooth sailing as we hopped from SpC to SpC. On the way back we went the I40 to I35 and hit the SpCs the whole way. The trip back ended up being about an hour quicker even though it was longer since we never had to do any L2 charging. Most importantly there were no white knuckle moments and I have resolved to take that route until the Wichita Falls SpC comes online. Below are a few more details about the trip.

38 psi front 40 psi rear
34 degrees In Denton
Winds 7 mph from west
5 people luggage
Start percentage 97%
Start rated miles 253

I wouldn't have attempted that trip under the conditions listed. You could definitely put more air in your tires, but it probably wouldn't have helped with that much weight in your car anyway.

It should be noted that this leg would have been much easier to pull off in the opposite direction. I'm not saying I would have done it with all those people, but the 1300 ft elevation difference and the prevailing winds make Childress to Denton much easier than the reverse.

I wouldn't have attempted that trip under the conditions listed. You could definitely put more air in your tires, but it probably wouldn't have helped with that much weight in your car anyway.

It should be noted that this leg would have been much easier to pull off in the opposite direction. I'm not saying I would have done it with all those people, but the 1300 ft elevation difference and the prevailing winds make Childress to Denton much easier than the reverse.

@PLUS EV We did consider for a brief moment to try it in reverse but, we chickened out.

@ShaneT, thanks for details of your adventure. How much was the charge at the RV park? Was it the same as what @Missile Toad said? Just drop some cash in the mailbox?

I told the gentleman that I need to charge and he simply stated it would be $10. After 2 hours, I left and he seemed a bit surprised as other Tesla owners have left their car there for the night. I probably could have negotiated something cheaper but honestly, I was just happy to get some juice. :)

Another data point - I've made this run in both directions in my Model S 90D with 21" Tesla wheels (Continental tires) 8 times now (4 round trips) utilizing only the superchargers in Denton and Childress. I usually depart each supercharger with at least 95% charge.

I always start slow (~65 MPH) and usually am able to speed up around midway (Wichita Falls). I've made it in the winter and the summer. There's a reason you see all those wind mills along the route - the wind is almost always blowing and my luck seems to dictate it is always either a headwind or crosswind, seldom a tailwind. Wind and cold are the biggest killers of range which you cannot control (speed you can control).

I would likely not attempt it in my previous P85D but have never felt like I wouldn't make it in my 90D.

I also make the direct run from Amarillo, TX to Trinidad, CO using only the superchargers in Amarillo and Trinidad - that is more challenging than Denton --> Childress but also doable. ~2,500' net elevation change (4,000' up to Raton Pass) and I use the general rule of thumb that each 1000' elevation change (up) requires and extra 6 miles of rated range. Once you make it to Raton Pass (Elev. 7,800) you are golden to Trinidad as it's all downhill from there. I would definitely not have attempted this route in my P85D.

Mike

Another data point - I've made this run in both directions in my Model S 90D with 21" Tesla wheels (Continental tires) 8 times now (4 round trips) utilizing only the superchargers in Denton and Childress. I usually depart each supercharger with at least 95% charge.

I always start slow (~65 MPH) and usually am able to speed up around midway (Wichita Falls). I've made it in the winter and the summer. There's a reason you see all those wind mills along the route - the wind is almost always blowing and my luck seems to dictate it is always either a headwind or crosswind, seldom a tailwind. Wind and cold are the biggest killers of range which you cannot control (speed you can control).

I would likely not attempt it in my previous P85D but have never felt like I wouldn't make it in my 90D.

I also make the direct run from Amarillo, TX to Trinidad, CO using only the superchargers in Amarillo and Trinidad - that is more challenging than Denton --> Childress but also doable. ~2,500' net elevation change (4,000' up to Raton Pass) and I use the general rule of thumb that each 1000' elevation change (up) requires and extra 6 miles of rated range. Once you make it to Raton Pass (Elev. 7,800) you are golden to Trinidad as it's all downhill from there. I would definitely not have attempted this route in my P85D.

Mike
I did Trinidad to Amarillo in my MS75D, but definitely not much of it at the speed limit. No problem going below the speed limit on that road, with two lanes each direction and little traffic. Going slow is faster sometimes, when you can cut a corner like that. I wouldn't try it the other direction.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I did Trinidad to Amarillo in my MS75D, but definitely not much of it at the speed limit. No problem going below the speed limit on that road, with two lanes each direction and little traffic. Going slow is faster sometimes, when you can cut a corner like that. I wouldn't try it the other direction.

@BerTX I have read several of your posts and how you do an excellent job maintaining the speeds necessary to make long distances. I truly have a lot of respect for that. Personally, I would rather drive a bit faster and not have to monitor as much even if it means taking a bit longer to get to my destination.