Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Colorado Springs, CO - Forest Bluffs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to be clear, while the V4 posts they put in support 1000 volts, the charger they are hooked to are still V3, and are only rated to 500v. We haven't seen a V4 charger that supports greater than 500 volts yet.

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling that V3 cabinets are 1kV capable. The DC bus tying cabinet to cabinet runs at 1kV, so it stands to reason that they can also send 1kV to the charging post (if the post can support it, which V3 can't). Megachargers, from what I can tell, are using V3 cabinets - just more cabinets per post to boost total kW output.

Right. I'm saying I suspect they're 1kV capable despite the ratings plaque stating 500 volts max post output. Perhaps they'll update the plaque when paired with a capable post.
They didn't at the one site they just installed in Europe. The V4 post plaque says 1000v, while the V3 charger cabinet still says 500v. I don't think that site is open to non-Teslas yet, if it ever will be, so we haven't seen the results from an ~800v vehicle.

this is kind-a exciting!! I just found this thread. I drive my MSP from Denver (Waterton actually) to just south of Colorado Springs 4 times a week. I don't have to Super Charge; however, it is nice to know there will now be a 5th charging station on my trip to work lol.

I will stop and charge here just for fun once it pops up on my display, and I will link some pictures.

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling that V3 cabinets are 1kV capable. The DC bus tying cabinet to cabinet runs at 1kV, so it stands to reason that they can also send 1kV to the charging post (if the post can support it, which V3 can't). Megachargers, from what I can tell, are using V3 cabinets - just more cabinets per post to boost total kW output.
The wiring to the posts is different per recent plans with the alternate post listed. Same as the DC Bus. So, thicker which means higher amperage regardless of voltage. 350A vs 475A. 35% increase in amperage. 1000v depends on if the AC to DC converters support that. I’d guess they are easy to swap if they aren’t capable currently. Would allow easy upgrade for current V3.

1680234181530.png

Reactions: Big Earl
I was there around 07:00 AM this morning. They have the stalls up (I counted 16) and the cabinets don't have covers on them anymore but the stalls are dark. I think they're getting very close to opening it up.
Also I noticed the first stall I passed by is reserved for disabled drivers. View attachment 925895
Interesting, so this location and the new Denver location have a handicap supercharger spot. So when they are 1 / 16 available, can you use the last charger? What are the laws? In fact, there is a spot like this at my apartment complex with a Level 2 and I have been too scared to park there and charge!

Interesting, so this location and the new Denver location have a handicap supercharger spot. So when they are 1 / 16 available, can you use the last charger? What are the laws? In fact, there is a spot like this at my apartment complex with a Level 2 and I have been too scared to park there and charge!
A lot of the newer supercharger builds have a handicapped stall. I can't speak to all the laws in every local jurisdiction, but in practice I think the best policy is to use it last and if possible, keep your charging session short and/or stay with your car if you do use it. It isn't reasonable to expect a lineup of cars to sit and wait and leave it open in case a handicapped Tesla driver shows up.

At your apartment, I would ask management because it's possible that spot was built with someone specific in mind and it would be rude to take their spot. If that's the case and you find out who that person is, you could potentially try to ask them which times of the week they intend to use it or which times of the week when it would be okay for you to use it. L2 is a little different though since by definition you will be parked in the spot for a long time.

Reactions: gregpet

A lot of the newer supercharger builds have a handicapped stall. I can't speak to all the laws in every local jurisdiction, but in practice I think the best policy is to use it last and if possible, keep your charging session short and/or stay with your car if you do use it. It isn't reasonable to expect a lineup of cars to sit and wait and leave it open in case a handicapped Tesla driver shows up.

At your apartment, I would ask management because it's possible that spot was built with someone specific in mind and it would be rude to take their spot. If that's the case and you find out who that person is, you could potentially try to ask them which times of the week they intend to use it or which times of the week when it would be okay for you to use it. L2 is a little different though since by definition you will be parked in the spot for a long time.
The superchargers I've seen with handicapped spots seem to have different signage than normal handicapped parking spots. They say "Designed for disabled access Use Last" Compared to normal handicap spots that typically say something like: "Reserved parking, minimum fine $xxx) So I doubt one would have any problems parking there.

We stopped here for a charge last weekend. While the app shows all 16 stalls are available, some of the stalls are still blocked by construction fencing. The 8 stalls on the west are placed close to each other and have charging on either side (so 4 spots on one side and 4 on the other). With the fencing, 4 of the stalls are blocked so a total of 12 stalls are available currently at this location. It probably shouldn't be a problem any time soon. While we were there getting some Tex-Mex at Chuy's, we were the only car Supercharging.