Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cornwall, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some pictures I took today on my way back to Montreal.

The overall layout has not changed much from weekend pics, but I was able to get a shot of the charge post covers (still in their box, 2-pk in front, 4-pk in the back).

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

**Cornwall SC Update** as of august 21st... boys and girls, we're not talking about weeks now, neither days (maybe days... I'm a little bit too excited now!) but we're maybe talking about hours before we can re-charge our beloved Tesla's...

Here are the pics I just took from there... for those who are more experts (Doug_G?), with the pics you see, approximately how long we now have to wait until the first day it'll come online?

BTW, who has a red Tesla that I crossed 2 times (today, thursday, I was the one that had a Black with Silver Turbine wheels/P85) on the 138 Road between Cornwall and the 417? Was nice to see a Tesla flashing back the lights!

cornwall-SC-august21.JPG
cornwall-SC-august21#2.JPG

**Cornwall SC Update** as of august 21st... boys and girls, we're not talking about weeks now, neither days (maybe days... I'm a little bit too excited now!) but we're maybe talking about hours before we can re-charge our beloved Tesla's...

Here are the pics I just took from there... for those who are more experts (Doug_G?), with the pics you see, approximately how long we now have to wait until the first day it'll come online?

BTW, who has a red Tesla that I crossed 2 times (today, thursday, I was the one that had a Black with Silver Turbine wheels/P85) on the 138 Road between Cornwall and the 417? Was nice to see a Tesla flashing back the lights!

For most sites, the key component pacing the final schedule is the Utility Transformer installation.

See this annotated picture from Blanding, UT, for what you need to look for:
Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

That's awesome!

Looks like there's still some finishing work to do in the power distribution area, but they might bring it online before that's done, who knows!

Thanks for the update @dm!

-----

Were you able to tell if the connector covers have the glowing red Tesla or not? :)

That's awesome!

Looks like there's still some finishing work to do in the power distribution area, but they might bring it online before that's done, who knows!

Thanks for the update @dm!

-----

Were you able to tell if the connector covers have the glowing red Tesla or not? :)

Eh eh! no I didn't (but when I'll go next time I'll take a picture of it if it's the case ;) )! Guys all looked pretty busy (actually, if I'm not mistaken there were 2 more guys comparing to my last week check-up), the only comment that I heard from the guy is: «it's coming»!

I really have the feeling that it'll be up and running this sunday... fingers crossed...

@Cottonwood: thanks for the clarification! As you can see the Distribution Center was installed and so were the SC cabinets...

Nice progress since my visit two days ago!

Yep, compared your pics with these new and the progression has been fast for a very short period of time... in your pics the Distribution Center & SC cabinets were still in their «boxes»...

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, upon my departure from the site, one of the guy seemed to look at how to put the «Tesla Covers» on the charging station (don't see it on my picture)... I'll try to go back on saturday to see where they are at...

Anyone here planning to go do a spot check before saturday?

More pictures from today - August 21st 2014.

In my opinion, there's a step-down transformer missing. Power from the utility pole is not wired, but evidently, the conduits are in place.
Trenching appears complete. Not much left to do !

View attachment 57139

View attachment 57140

View attachment 57141

Yep, as I said earlier when I left, one guy was looking at putting the «Tesla charger» cover... so he did (picture 1)

So what's your wild guess for the grand opening?

Because Canada uses a 346/600 Volt, 3-Phase standard, and the Supercharge equipment is designed for the U.S. standard of 277/480 Volt, 3-Phase; Squamish used two transformers, one Utility Transformer that stepped the Utility Line Voltage down to 346/600 Volts, and a second Tesla Supplied Transformer to step the 346/600 Volts down to 277/480 Volts.

I believe that the picture below shows the Supercharger Cabinets, and the 346/600 to 277/480 Volt Tesla-supplied Transformer. There is space behind the Supercharger Cabinets and wire stubbed out for the yet to be installed Distribution Center, and the Utility Transformer is not shown. Typically the Utility Transformer is outside of, but close to, the Equipment Enclosure with the Tesla gear.

Happy Sleuthing!

More pictures from today - August 21st 2014.

In my opinion, there's a step-down transformer missing. Power from the utility pole is not wired, but evidently, the conduits are in place.
Trenching appears complete. Not much left to do !

View attachment 57140

But my BIG question mark is that, nowhere on the site I saw any Distribution Center :confused: ... all the boxes that left were the ones for the «Tesla covers» (showed in one of the 3 pics)...

Hope it's somewhere hidden and not in «transit» as it would push back, again, the opening...

That's what I tought... they know (knew for Squamish) that Canadian Tesla owners waited for so long that they just decided to open it «unofficial»...

From what I've read, this happens at every Supercharger installation. As soon as it's working, the Tesla owners know. :) If there's an official opening, it's usually many days or more than a week later, at which point dozens have used the location.