Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Craig, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's on-line - nice skinny cooled-cable 250kw chargers. Far from the store to avoid ICEing, and stalls free of snow. K&G seems to be committed to the concept.
IMG_2876001.jpg

Today is 5/15/2021. None of the superchargers are working, although no notice on routing that site is down. Might be working sometime on 5/17/2021.

I made the same unpleasant discovery on Saturday morning. I'm glad I over-charged in Silverthorne, otherwise I would have been facing a several hour level 2 charge instead of 90 minutes in order to make it to Vernal with enough buffer to make it to Dinosaur National Monument and back into town.

A few observations:
  • All the pedastals had stickers that said "Call this number for assistance" or something to that effect, but the spot for the number was blank.
  • I googled the number for Tesla Supercharger support but it is closed on the weekends (!), so I called Tesla roadside assistance. Agent couldn't detect any issues with the Craig location but said he was submitting a ticket with the supercharger maintenance team. He said they likely wouldn't look at the ticket until Monday though!
  • Even after I called, and apparently you did too, @Rickland, the in-car nav still showed the station online. Why not mark it as reduced service at a minimum?
  • Chargers seemed to be powered (car recognized charging cable and the handle button would open the charging door), but charging would not start.
  • I wonder if the outage is at all related to the ongoing construction for the adjacent Chargepoint DC fast chargers?
  • Thank you to Yampa Valley Electric for the level 2 station. Annoyingly the car navigated us in the back way, which is blocked by a gate. The correct entrance is right off of Highway 40.
  • Craig Superchargers were still offline when I passed through on Sunday (and still showing available in nav)

Last edited:
Glenwood Springs to Kremmling to Rawlins works, although that last 169 mile leg could be difficult in wind. Sure was hoping to avoid Glenwood Springs and just go from Grand Junction to Craig to Rawlins directly.

I have camping reservations (14-50 RV pedestal) in Seminoe State Park for Thursday and Sunday nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoEV
Glenwood Springs to Kremmling to Rawlins works, although that last 169 mile leg could be difficult in wind. Sure was hoping to avoid Glenwood Springs and just go from Grand Junction to Craig to Rawlins directly.

I have camping reservations (14-50 RV pedestal) in Seminoe State Park for Thursday and Sunday nights.
Google says the fastest route from Grand Junction to Custer is through Denver. I'm guessing you just don't want to go that way (I wouldn't either).

Reactions: israndy
Google says the fastest route from Grand Junction to Custer is through Denver. I'm guessing you just don't want to go that way (I wouldn't either).
Nope. I-70, the Denver metro area, and I-25 aren't much fun to drive (although I wouldn't have to drive I-70 since US 50/US 285 is more direct, scenic, and enjoyable).

And, as you might guess, I need to add some Supercharger Stations to my list, currently 257, none of which are on the route you mention (I've been to South Dakota via that route before, used Guernsey State Park as my overnight camping/charging stop). Before the Craig and Kremmling Supercharger Stations were built, the routes directly north to Rawlins weren't possible.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
For shortest route, I think you'd be better off going to Laramie and then Wheatland instead of Rawlins then Casper from Kremmling though your planned camping spot makes that a bit useless. Plus it still allows for bypassing the Denver metro and 25 madness.

For shortest route, I think you'd be better off going to Laramie and then Wheatland instead of Rawlins then Casper from Kremmling though your planned camping spot makes that a bit useless. Plus it still allows for bypassing the Denver metro and 25 madness.
The reason I don't want to take that route is that I've already visited those Supercharger Stations and I'm trying to collect new ones for the Superchargers Visited game.

The distance between my home in Ouray County and Custer SD is too far for a single day drive given my slow supercharging (hour and a half for long trip legs), short range (163 RM at 100%) S-60 and my well-earned reluctance to drive at "deer-o'clock." Hence the overnight camping/charging stops.

If Craig is back in service I can now take my preferred route once again.

Do you have a CHAdeMO or Setec CCS adapter dpg? If so, could charge a bit extra on the way to Craig and if it’s offline when you get there then you might be able to make it to Steamboat and use the ChargePoint or at least only need a short charge at YVEA’s level 2 in Craig.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: PLUS EV