Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cupertino, CA (LIVE 28 Mar 2018, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, wouldn't have the back area of Valco Shopping Center (near Perimeter Road and Highway 280 around the steakhouse or now defunct TGIFs) been a better location, NOBODY EVER parks out there and the would be less likelihood of getting 'iced' by drivers trying to park near other locations.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Also, wouldn't have the back area of Valco Shopping Center (near Perimeter Road and Highway 280 around the steakhouse or now defunct TGIFs) been a better location, NOBODY EVER parks out there and the would be less likelihood of getting 'iced' by drivers trying to park near other locations.
Remember that the owners of Vallco want to completely redevelop that area. The current plan is to put housing there.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
This is nothing new. They have been wanting that for at least the past decade or two, still understandable but you cannot deny their own short-sightedness in not at least considering a partnership with Tesla on a supercharger row, especially given the amount of vast parking and empty space on their 'property'.

Reactions: CameronB
This is nothing new. They have been wanting that for at least the past decade or two, still understandable but you cannot deny their own short-sightedness in not at least considering a partnership with Tesla on a supercharger row, especially given the amount of vast parking and empty space on their 'property'.
How do you know it wasn't considered? Maybe by the time the redevelopment gets approved, there will be reason to justify a second location in Cupertino, much like San Mateo now has two SC sites.

And from Tesla's perspective, would you rather put a SC in an abandoned back lot of a dead mall with literally nobody around (and have to rip it out later when redevelopment gets approved), or put it in a well-lit garage adjacent to lots of food and drink options? (The Alexander's steakhouse across from the TGIF's is also closed, BTW. It moved over to Main Street, near where the new Supercharger is located.)

Some progress every day, including a 6th cabinet that showed up last week. It's different from the other 5, maybe a transformer?

Attachments

• IMG_20171115_104710.jpg
    IMG_20171115_104710.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20171115_104835.jpg
    IMG_20171115_104835.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20171115_104845.jpg
    IMG_20171115_104845.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 154
Not much progress as of 11-21. The conduit is no longer in the orange trailer. Not much else seems to have changed since 11-15.

To confirm, the location is on the second level on the street side of the parking structure, roughly above the public chargers on the first level.

Unlikely to be online before Thanksgiving...might be running by Christmas.

IMG_6874.JPG IMG_6876.JPG

Well, we will see. I will reserve further judgement until construction is completed and I have an opportunity to sample it for myself. (I will not be visiting the new San Mateo SC again though, that experience left a rather poor taste in my mouth.)

Glad to hear this project is underway ... the location will be swamped :cool:

Being that this is in a parking structure in a moderate traffic lower-level location, I wonder if Tesla has considered what to do about cars queued up for a charging spot. I hope that it doesn't become like the mess in the original San Mateo location...especially after Model 3 production ramps up.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Well, we will see. I will reserve further judgement until construction is completed and I have an opportunity to sample it for myself. (I will not be visiting the new San Mateo SC again though, that experience left a rather poor taste in my mouth.)

Being that this is in a parking structure in a moderate traffic lower-level location, I wonder if Tesla has considered what to do about cars queued up for a charging spot. I hope that it doesn't become like the mess in the original San Mateo location...especially after Model 3 production ramps up.

Given the close proximity to the new Apple campus and the inherent parking structure bottlenecks ... this will be a Cluster****:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: EVie'sDad and e-FTW
Given the close proximity to the new Apple campus and the inherent parking structure bottlenecks ... this will be a Cluster****:cool:
Yes, I’ve made that sort of statement multiple times in reference to other Supercharger sites. And your statements contribute nothing useful to the discussion.

New Supercharger sites are better than no new sites. In contrast, Chevy isn’t doing squat to support long distance travel for Bolt owners.

Reactions: e-FTW and bmah
Yes, I’ve made that sort of statement multiple times in reference to other Supercharger sites. And your statements contribute nothing useful to the discussion.

New Supercharger sites are better than no new sites. In contrast, Chevy isn’t doing squat to support long distance travel for Bolt owners.

Hold your judgment ... Tesla could do better due diligence on the site selection process to the benefit of all Tesla owners :cool:

Although it is much more likely that Apple, as an employer, will offer on-site charging for their EV owning employees as a perk, but I too can see the possibility of abuse just as is seen in the Mountainview SC with Google and Microsoft campus employees.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Hold your judgment ... Tesla could do better due diligence on the site selection process to the benefit of all Tesla owners :cool:
I don’t need to reserve judgement: I’ve been watching Tesla build out the Supercharger network for over 4 years now. They’ve done an impressive job and are now operating and managing the largest EV charging network in the world in terms of electricity delivered and cars charged, while continuing to rapidly expand their network. It’s easy to criticize Tesla for not “perfectly” selecting sites when you aren’t one of the people who actually have to find a suitable site, manage the construction process, get the permits and approvals, and make everything happen. But the reality is that Tesla has done a remarkable job in a short period of time with relatively limited resources compared to the giant auto companies they are competing against.

To get back on topic...and the new Cupertino Supercharger is just another small part of the amazing network that is available to Tesla owners and not availble to other EV owners. I for one am happy to see a new Supercharger in Cupertino even though I will likely never use it since it is only about 25 miles from my house.

As somebody pointed out to me, the new Apple campus has a huge number of level 2 chargers, which will certainly be more convenient for Apple employees than driving across the freeway to Cupertino Main Street. I've no doubt it will be crowded though, just like Mountain View and San Mateo.

Not that I think it will matter to the Tesla Superchargers, but most of the buildings directly across the street from the garage with Pieology and the Superchargers on Vallco Parkway are all Apple Buildings. They run from Perimeter Road and Vallco Parkway to across Tantau and also incorporate all the buildings from Tantau/Stevens Creek/280 with the exception of IHop and the Woodcrest Hotel. These are all on the opposite side of 280/Apple Park. Check Apple Maps and you'll see them listed if you click on them. But Apple has it's own EV charging on premises for their employees (free perk) so doubt they will have much need of the superchargers unless in situation as Ulmo described (short day and bind--doubt they have any short work days though!). The Apple Park Visitor Center I was just at after it opened has some public chargers, ChargePoint I think.