Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cupertino, CA (LIVE 28 Mar 2018, 10 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heavy demand is polite speak for Apple employees near the new campus.... just wait till it opens. I bet you’ll find it by the huge line of Teslas out the garage, filled with nerdy people trying to work on their phones with TACC engaged :D

The new Apple campus has LOTS of free charging stations for employees.

It's not clear to me why they wouldn't just charge while at work rather than make a special effort (and maybe a wait in line) to juice up down the street, spend time while the car charges (not a nice place to sit in your car and limited, but nice, shops/restaurants), and then risk having to pay a penalty for overstaying their visit.

And this is even more of an issue for Apple employees with Model 3s who don't get free Supercharging.

That said, I agree that it will likely get heavy use; just not from Apple employees.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: Chuq
Heavy demand is polite speak for Apple employees near the new campus.... just wait till it opens. I bet you’ll find it by the huge line of Teslas out the garage, filled with nerdy people trying to work on their phones with TACC engaged :D
I know Apple employees who work at Apple Park. There are a lot of EV chargers available in the parking structures there. The employees can charge while they are at work.

I know Apple employees who work at Apple Park. There are a lot of EV chargers available in the parking structures there. The employees can charge while they are at work.
I do too. I’ve heard concerns that there still aren’t enough charging spots due to employees idling on chargers with impunity. My friends working across that Cupertino garage are already saying it’s difficult to find a charging spot in the morning.

Plugging into a L2 charger in the afternoon is next to useless compared to finding a Supercharger at that time of day.

Progress update:
Nothing that I could see since Tuesday.
And like the Mueller investigation, it won't finish before the end of the year.
I think this might be a weekend project for the contractor. Silicon Valley construction has been great lately, and this is the buy your house savings time for construction workers; if they miss out on gangbuster years like this, they might not ever have a place to live.

I think this might be a weekend project for the contractor. Silicon Valley construction has been great lately, and this is the buy your house savings time for construction workers; if they miss out on gangbuster years like this, they might not ever have a place to live.

I certainly hope that the construction workers haven't become homeless...because the charging station still appears to be far from finished.

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo
Traffic was the worst I’ve seen it during my current job (rainy Friday afternoon at quarter til 5), so I got off in Cupertino. I guessed the correct garage, but didn’t see the SC on the way up. On the way down, I was more thorough. The SC location designation is “MA”, and is under Level 2. I guess M stands for Mezzanine. I lost track of what was under M, but ground level is G, and it goes down from there (underground); I didn’t get those level designations. This SC is not on level 2; it is on level M, which is up from level G (ground).

The SC plug pedestal area had 3 boys inside the work zone pealing the copper scrap. Maybe they were getting off work. I’d say that was a haul of maybe $1,000. A lot of work for a measly $300 each, but if you’re poor (as apprentices can be), I could see doing 3 hours of that grueling work for the “overtime”. They made it funner by laughing and talking the whole time, so I guess it works out.

There is almost no progress since other photos. I noticed a non-shored trench from the transformer to a switch box with its side cover off (letting rain sprinkle in a bit). It had ample conduit with pull rope, but no wire. The transformer and its pad are listing toward the area of the unshored trench. In the mud I wouldn’t be surprised if it fell, including while they work on it. I don’t understand why they have an unfilled trench there (the pipes look like they’re in, but I didn’t confirm by looking in the trench), and I don’t understand why it isn’t shored.

I did not see any rolls of wire for that run. There was enough scrap to do that run, so maybe they exceeded their scrap budget and didn’t measure properly. It’s always more expensive to need new wire because you cut it short than to cut it a bit long, but it does indicate to me they ran wire without knowing where it would be wired in, since they had double the scrap lengths I would think they normally need to finish wiring.

The Verizon meter socket is still empty.

My first theory that this is a weekend job for some busy person still fits these observations, but the unshored trench yells unprofessional to me, so there could be some reason for the delay consistent with that (unprofessional errors causing delays). I wonder if the inspector agrees and is part of the slowdown.

When I arrived, no EVs we’re charging at the J1772’s (ChargePoint), but when I left, just two Tesla’s were (and they seemed to know each other). There is an incentive in this garage to park in the EV spots since it is full for most the levels which take a long time to drive and the J1772’s on ground floor can skip the elevator or stairs. Hopefully level M is hidden enough and enough of a hassle that that phenomenon doesn’t transfer to the SCs.

Last edited:
There is an incentive in this garage to park in the EV spots since it is full for most the levels which take a long time to drive and the J1772’s on ground floor can skip the elevator or stairs. Hopefully level M is hidden enough and enough of a hassle that that phenomenon doesn’t transfer to the SCs.

Did you notice that they installed a dispenser with "Tesla Parking Only" permanent adhesive stickers to put on driver side ICE car windows that park in these spots?

Seriously, I don't know why Tesla couldn't have found a better location for this SC. At least it's covered in the rain...not that that's much of an issue for us these days.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Shouldn't be long now...

IMG_7013.JPG

This may be the last photo with the sun streaming in and no Teslas juicing up.

Oops (humor...with some real concerns):

The city of Cupertino just revised their traffic impact study of the nearly completed Tesla Supercharger. Their conclusion was that it will cause unmanageable traffic congestion at the entrance and first and second levels of the parking garage. As a result, the permit is now revoked.

Please tell every Tesla owner that you know to not go to this Supercharger...even if it shows up on the Tesla map. And, if you accidentally drive by and it looks open, and you see nine cars that are not mine parked there with cables plugged in, just ignore them and keep moving.

And if you do decide to give it a try anyway, keep in mind that it probably uses slow, dirty, recycled electrons which could gum up your motors and reduce performance.

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo and FlatSix911
Oops (humor...with some real concerns):
The city of Cupertino just revised their traffic impact study of the nearly completed Tesla Supercharger. Their conclusion was that it will cause unmanageable traffic congestion at the entrance and first and second levels of the parking garage. As a result, the permit is now revoked.
Please tell every Tesla owner that you know to not go to this Supercharger...even if it shows up on the Tesla map. And, if you accidentally drive by and it looks open, and you see nine cars that are not mine parked there with cables plugged in, just ignore them and keep moving.
And if you do decide to give it a try anyway, keep in mind that it probably uses slow, dirty, recycled electrons which could gum up your motors and reduce performance.

Yikes, seriously? What are the next steps then? Sounds like this won't open any time soon...