Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Darien CT Rest Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm stopping there later today, will let you know.

Last time I drove by they appeared to still be there.

I stopped NB and SB today. I charged at over 100kW at the NB charger in the back part of the parking lot (the pull forward spot). No problems.

The SB charger showed "reduced service" on the Nav screen. When I got there, two cars were charging, one was ICEd and I took the last spot next to a M3. I had a pretty full charge (since stopping NB), so all I got was 20kW for about 10 minutes, and then I took off. So it works, and it might be reduced service, but I couldn't tell.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
Here are some pictures of the SB construction site.

20190909_181215.jpg

20190909_180724.jpg
20190909_180729.jpg
20190909_180746.jpg

Attachments

• 20190909_181210.jpg
    20190909_181210.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
North is coming along. All pads and conduit are set; they have paved and planted grass. No equipment set yet.

In this photo the blue shows where the new supercharger location is - they are using an island that was a dog poop area. Black circles show the two current supercharger locations (2 stalls each).

Red line is approximate route of the trench they are currently digging to get power. You can make out the power poles they will be connecting to. The red blob is where they were when I stopped by. They had a guy with a jack hammer pounding on a rock or ledge, then gave up and put a hammer on their small excavator and began really pounding. That is a VERY expensive power hookup - almost 1000' I think

upload_2019-9-21_7-3-39.png

North is coming along. All pads and conduit are set; they have paved and planted grass. No equipment set yet.

In this photo the blue shows where the new supercharger location is - they are using an island that was a dog poop area. Black circles show the two current supercharger locations (2 stalls each).

Red line is approximate route of the trench they are currently digging to get power. You can make out the power poles they will be connecting to. The red blob is where they were when I stopped by. They had a guy with a jack hammer pounding on a rock or ledge, then gave up and put a hammer on their small excavator and began really pounding. That is a VERY expensive power hookup - almost 1000' I think

View attachment 457386
Sure looks like a long trench! Did they have to do the same for the other 4 stalls?

The existing 4 stalls are located by the building (2 on each side), and may be connected to the building power. There is a transformer near the one on the north end, and it is possible that is for the superchargers and they ran power from there to the other one. Sort of odd that they put them in two different locations - may have had to do with the parking.

I have circled the supercharger cabinet, the disconnect, and the location of a transformer.
upload_2019-9-21_9-19-45.png

Here is the other one. Cabinet and disconnect circled. The disconnects were added a couple of years ago - didn't used to have them.
upload_2019-9-21_9-21-42.png

Last edited:
They are still making progress on the NB side, but no sign of Tesla chargers or pedestals.

Interestingly, the transformer pad and service boards are located at one end of the parking lot, and the equipment boards are located by the charging pedestals 1000' away. I'm surprised they did not run the 12kV primary the 1000' instead of the 480v service. There will be a lot of fat cables between the service boards and the equipment boards.

Must be some reason - maybe not enough space for the equipment near the chargers, or maybe the utility wanted it this way?

I drove by all 3 of the southbound SCs on 95 in CT today, Darien, Fairfield, and Madison, and they're all at the same point.

All construction looks complete except the SC cabinets and changing pedestals. The ground is all closed up and paving, landscaping, and signs are up, with a coming soon paper taped to them. One of these threads reported that it was expected to be complete "before Thanksgiving" and that looks very likely at this point.