TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Darien CT Rest Area

Discussion in 'New England' started by aaron.s, Jun 19, 2013.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I stopped NB and SB today. I charged at over 100kW at the NB charger in the back part of the parking lot (the pull forward spot). No problems.

The SB charger showed "reduced service" on the Nav screen. When I got there, two cars were charging, one was ICEd and I took the last spot next to a M3. I had a pretty full charge (since stopping NB), so all I got was 20kW for about 10 minutes, and then I took off. So it works, and it might be reduced service, but I couldn't tell.

• Informative x 1
  2. mcot222

mcot222 Member

Good to know. So I assume once the V3 are done they would remove the current V2. I would be really surprised if they kept them as they are close to the building and subject to iceing anyway.

3. Wise Pete

Wise Pete Member

I drove by Darien, CT rest stops on I-95 and noticed new Superchargers being set up on both SB and NB sides. I saw 12 poles with Tesla charging signs on the SB side. It's a good addition as the 4 chargers they currently have there are very often full.

@BlueShift @Chuq @MarcoRP

4. Wise Pete

Wise Pete Member

#164 Wise Pete, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Here are some pictures of the SB construction site.

20190909_181215.jpg
    20190909_180724.jpg 20190909_180729.jpg 20190909_180746.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  5. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

We can’t update Supercharge Info at the moment for it to be visible as an expansion in progress. There is already a thread on which @tes-s made the find so I’ll ask @Doug_G or Mods to merge this post with the other thread (link here)

6. MarcoRP

New update for this Supercharger by @Wise Pete , with more photos, but no apparent changes since the last update. link

7. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

Construction on the northbound side is proceeding. 10 stalls, and looks like one will be a handicapped stall.

Looks like they will be pouring the equipment pads today, and should have site work done next week. Then waiting on Tesla equipment and utility transformer.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

North is coming along. All pads and conduit are set; they have paved and planted grass. No equipment set yet.

In this photo the blue shows where the new supercharger location is - they are using an island that was a dog poop area. Black circles show the two current supercharger locations (2 stalls each).

Red line is approximate route of the trench they are currently digging to get power. You can make out the power poles they will be connecting to. The red blob is where they were when I stopped by. They had a guy with a jack hammer pounding on a rock or ledge, then gave up and put a hammer on their small excavator and began really pounding. That is a VERY expensive power hookup - almost 1000' I think

upload_2019-9-21_7-3-39.png

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 1
  9. MarcoRP

Sure looks like a long trench! Did they have to do the same for the other 4 stalls?

10. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

#170 tes-s, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    The existing 4 stalls are located by the building (2 on each side), and may be connected to the building power. There is a transformer near the one on the north end, and it is possible that is for the superchargers and they ran power from there to the other one. Sort of odd that they put them in two different locations - may have had to do with the parking.

I have circled the supercharger cabinet, the disconnect, and the location of a transformer.
    upload_2019-9-21_9-19-45.png

Here is the other one. Cabinet and disconnect circled. The disconnects were added a couple of years ago - didn't used to have them.
    upload_2019-9-21_9-21-42.png

11. SureValla

SureValla Member

can confirm, I stop here regularly with my pooches

• Like x 1
  12. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

They are still making progress on the NB side, but no sign of Tesla chargers or pedestals.

Interestingly, the transformer pad and service boards are located at one end of the parking lot, and the equipment boards are located by the charging pedestals 1000' away. I'm surprised they did not run the 12kV primary the 1000' instead of the 480v service. There will be a lot of fat cables between the service boards and the equipment boards.

Must be some reason - maybe not enough space for the equipment near the chargers, or maybe the utility wanted it this way?

13. Lobstahz

Lobstahz Member

I drove by all 3 of the southbound SCs on 95 in CT today, Darien, Fairfield, and Madison, and they're all at the same point.

All construction looks complete except the SC cabinets and changing pedestals. The ground is all closed up and paving, landscaping, and signs are up, with a coming soon paper taped to them. One of these threads reported that it was expected to be complete "before Thanksgiving" and that looks very likely at this point.

14. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

Pulling cable today. Still waiting on V3 chargers, pedestals, transformer, meter. Northbound.

2019-10-21 13.00.56.jpg 2019-10-21 13.00.16.jpg

• Like x 3
  15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Just FYI.. I got 118kW today in the last (furthest from the building) stall on the SB side.

6CB51F3D-AA42-4E66-BDE7-2B8C392895D2.jpeg

16. sjg98

sjg98 Member

Any progress here, looks like Fairfield not too far up 95 got equipment delivery and is now moving along nicely..

17. Lobstahz

Lobstahz Member

Sadly no change yet. I drove by Darien SB last night hoping for progress, like what is happening at Fairfield, but didn't see anything visually different at the new SC location than when I stopped by in October.

18. user212_nr

user212_nr Member

Northbound

sc_darien.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. user212_nr

user212_nr Member

edited contrast

sc_darien.jpg

• Funny x 1
  20. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

Installing and wiring pedestals Northbound today. Sorry, no pics.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1