Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought it would be best to reply to this in the Dickinson thread.

325 from Dickinson to Billings. That is the rated range of a Model 3 LR RWD. I have a AWD rated 310. But I would expect to leave a Supercharger at 90% and arrive at no less than 10% So 250 miles usable in my Model 3. So I would need to at least do a stop for a 14-50 plug at a campground. That is a charge rate of about 30 miles for each hour of charge....2 1/2 hours charging. Could be done in one day but I would not do it that way. I would probably stop overnight in Glendive or Miles city at a Motel with a 110v outlet and get the added range that I need the while I sleep.
I fully expect the ones from Dickinson to Billings to go in right in line with the other i-94 ones. So that SHOULD be a small time gap, but as we know, nothing up here is ever on time, simple, or logical.

This is pretty exciting, although I'm going to remain cautious until ground is actually broken on at least one location in North Dakota.

I'm planning a road trip in my Model 3 LR RWD from Denver to Devils Lake at the end of May, so alas I don't expect any ND locations to be ready by then. Right now, my plan is to supercharge in Spearfish, SD, level 2 charge at the campground in Dickinson overnight (thanks lightfoot3b for setting this up!), and then top off at one of the level 2 chargers in Jamestown before heading to Devils Lake on US 281. This will be my first Tesla road trip > 250 miles so I'm really looking forward to the adventure.

This is pretty exciting, although I'm going to remain cautious until ground is actually broken on at least one location in North Dakota.

I'm planning a road trip in my Model 3 LR RWD from Denver to Devils Lake at the end of May, so alas I don't expect any ND locations to be ready by then. Right now, my plan is to supercharge in Spearfish, SD, level 2 charge at the campground in Dickinson overnight (thanks lightfoot3b for setting this up!), and then top off at one of the level 2 chargers in Jamestown before heading to Devils Lake on US 281. This will be my first Tesla road trip > 250 miles so I'm really looking forward to the adventure.
Awesome! If you want to stop by when in Dickinson let me know. Also, on the way, I'd suggest stopping in Bismarck to top up a bit since it is a 48A 240V charger, and make your stop that much shorter in Jamestown at the 32A 207V charger. Could actually save you a good bit of charging since it is 74% faster in Bismarck!

Awesome! If you want to stop by when in Dickinson let me know. Also, on the way, I'd suggest stopping in Bismarck to top up a bit since it is a 48A 240V charger, and make your stop that much shorter in Jamestown at the 32A 207V charger. Could actually save you a good bit of charging since it is 74% faster in Bismarck!

Great advice! You must be referring to the chargers at the Lignite Energy Council in Bismarck? I didn't realize the chargers in Jamestown were only 207V. Given that, I might just skip Jamestown altogether. It's 25 miles or so out of the way anyway. The shortest route from Bismarck to my parents' place is only 176 miles, shorter than the Spearfish to Dickinson leg.

My only qualm about skipping Jamestown (and most of I-94 after Bismarck) is that the state highways are awfully desolate between Bismarck and Devils Lake. Good to know I have options either way!

I imagine construction season will be ramping up soon, so checking for roadwork is on my pre-departure checklist, too.

Great advice! You must be referring to the chargers at the Lignite Energy Council in Bismarck?
Correct.

I wonder what are the chances that's the team working its way along I-94?
I think you will see Alexandria first. However I wouldn't count Dickinson out as an odd duck going up sooner than some others due to... some squeaky wheels being involved :) And I'm actually not talking about myself, though I might have some influence on the squeaky people! :D

*edit:
Yes, skip Jamestown if you can shorten 25 miles up! That's 1.75 hours in travel + charge time extra by just going there.

Last edited:
The permit issued in April of 2018 was inquired about if a new permit for Dickinson was needed because of "minor electrical changes" or if their current plan can proceed. The official did not know if the building permit needed revision or if it would simply need review by the ND state electrical board since it was only a "minor electrical change".

*fingers crossed for V3* Or is it only the V2 being amped up to 150kW...

Reactions: Utah John
V3 is not a minor change. I don’t understand why every thread about an upcoming SC is filled with people saying it will be V3. It won’t. Remember it’s Elon we are talking about. We will be lucky to have even 1 more V3 location outside the Bay Area by the end of the year.

Reactions: mociaf9
V3 is not a minor change. I don’t understand why every thread about an upcoming SC is filled with people saying it will be V3. It won’t. Remember it’s Elon we are talking about. We will be lucky to have even 1 more V3 location outside the Bay Area by the end of the year.
Quick question for you if you know about this stuff. Why would they call the city with an electrical change to a building permit then? It doesn't change location or the space needed as far as I know.

Anything is possible, perhaps someone reviewing the work and noticed a mistake, or they realized they want to configure things slightly differently, or put in one more stall. I’m not an expert on this stuff but I see too many people trying to read too hard into things that just aren’t a big deal. A small adjustment to original permitting documents can be caused by any number of things and doesn’t mean a giant upgrade like V2 to V3.

At the shareholders meeting , Elon indicated that going forward installs would be urban chargers or V3 superchargers. I expect that as you watch supercharge.info there will be a pretty clean break between V2 and V3. After the fist V3 are deployed outside of Fremont, all new interstate chargers will be V3.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightfoot3b
Just had a Model 3 Long Range AWD delivered to me in Minot, ND. I'm moving out of state next summer, so hopefully this SC will be available by then. With just this one, I could make it to Spearfish, and on to wherever I need to go. If I have to leave without it, have to figure out a way to level 2 charge with an overnight stay somewhere in order to get out of town.