Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dickinson, ND

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a stretch to get any of them by 4th of July. None of them are even under construction yet.

I always like to use this example as "never say never".

This is the 750km route between Ballarat and the "big battery" site. It went from two in permit & two unknown, to four open, in less than a month!

Tesla can do it if they want!

upload_2018-6-6_22-51-11.png

upload_2018-6-6_22-52-50.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
So, my road trip plans for next month have changed such that we now only have 4 humans coming, which makes me really want to take my 3 rather than our Volvo. But this would mean either renting a car for the portion of the trip from Rapid City to Dickinson, to Teddy Roosevelt NP, back to Rapid City, or... Figuring out some way to charge overnight in Dickinson.

PlugShare tells me that the closest charger of any strength is in Bowman, 73 miles away from Dickinson. Is that my best/only option other than renting an ICE?

Thanks.

So, my road trip plans for next month have changed such that we now only have 4 humans coming, which makes me really want to take my 3 rather than our Volvo. But this would mean either renting a car for the portion of the trip from Rapid City to Dickinson, to Teddy Roosevelt NP, back to Rapid City, or... Figuring out some way to charge overnight in Dickinson.

PlugShare tells me that the closest charger of any strength is in Bowman, 73 miles away from Dickinson. Is that my best/only option other than renting an ICE?

Thanks.
Ask @lightfoot3b real nice.

Reactions: PLUS EV
:D

Thanks.
In a 3 it should be no issue from Rapid to Dickinson, but just in case, Spearfish chargers take 20miles off the journey.

Also, Medora to Spearfish would be a piece of cake in a 3 as well. (204 miles, all 65mph)

You would be welcome to charge at my home in Dickinson, just make sure to arrange with me so I can make the garage look presentable and have the S out of the way when you need to charge :) I have a 14-50 nema and my charge cord is in the garage 99% of the time anyway.

Where to stay | Medora - Explore it. Adore it.
They have 14-50 nema plugs at the campground that is right inside Medora (could actually walk right into town from there, and is maybe a couple hundred yards from the park entrance. You can't get lost in all 7 blocks of Medora :)

Reactions: dhrivnak
Thanks for the info, @lightfoot3b. Appreciate the offer of your home charger. I'd prefer to avoid that imposition if possible. I hadn't looked at Medora closely enough. It looks like I could conceivably park at the campground and stay the night at the Rough Riders--Google tells me it's just a 0.9-mile walk. 204 miles in from Spearfish, plus ~40 miles driving Scenic Loop Drive. Call it 260 on the way in, then 210 back to Spearfish. That should easily be doable if I can charge overnight at the campground @ 32A.

Thanks for the info, @lightfoot3b. Appreciate the offer of your home charger. I'd prefer to avoid that imposition if possible. I hadn't looked at Medora closely enough. It looks like I could conceivably park at the campground and stay the night at the Rough Riders--Google tells me it's just a 0.9-mile walk. 204 miles in from Spearfish, plus ~40 miles driving Scenic Loop Drive. Call it 260 on the way in, then 210 back to Spearfish. That should easily be doable if I can charge overnight at the campground @ 32A.
Cool, but seriously, it's not an issue. I've woken up with (not my) Tesla in the driveway charging with a camper extension cord :) The garage is also a double.

Reactions: dhrivnak and Zaxxon
Ha, awesome. What I might do is plan to get a spot at the campground just for ease of our use since it's right near the park, but have your garage slotted as backup in the unlikely event that the campground has an issue. Would that work?

Reactions: lightfoot3b
That campground isn't on PlugShare, either (nothing in that area is, actually). So once my trip is over and I hopefully am not stranded, I'll add it.
It's not on PlugShare since it is a campground, but it is on RV Parky, which you should install if you drive off the beaten path (or North Dakota, whichever applies).

Not a good idea to add campgrounds to Plugshare.

• Funny
Tons of campgrounds are on PlugShare. What's the problem there?
They really shouldn't be unless they have a dest charger, J1772 etc. There are so many campgrounds, if they were all added to Plugshare, they would overwhelm the system, would not be accurate and the app would not be useful.

You likewise wouldn't want to add every 120V 15A plug in the country, for the same reason.

RV Parky is a really good app and very useful to the EV crowd. It's intended purpose is for RV travellers (okay, RVs, travel trailers etc.), but it is useful to the EV community since it documents the locations of numerous 14-50 plugs available for transient use... which includes us. [Also, Wal-Mart's and restaurants where you might camp out overnight, sometimes next to a 120V 15A plug.]

They really shouldn't be unless they have a dest charger, J1772 etc. There are so many campgrounds, if they were all added to Plugshare, they would overwhelm the system, would not be accurate and the app would not be useful.

You likewise wouldn't want to add every 120V 15A plug in the country, for the same reason.

RV Parky is a really good app and very useful to the EV crowd. It's intended purpose is for RV travellers (okay, RVs, travel trailers etc.), but it is useful to the EV community since it documents the locations of numerous 14-50 plugs available for transient use... which includes us. [Also, Wal-Mart's and restaurants where you might camp out overnight, sometimes next to a 120V 15A plug.]

I see what you're saying but we'll have to agree to disagree. PlugShare makes it simple to toggle off 14-50, which is effectively a campground toggle. It makes it simple to see *all* known working, EV-friendly charge points at a glance, along with comments from actual EV drivers. Withholding known useful points is counterproductive.

In a place where there's an abundance of solid charge options I agree that it's not necessary or maybe not even useful to add less-fantastic options like campgrounds. But in this particular area of the country, knowing that there's a place with 20+ 14-50 outlets adjacent to a national park entrance is a big deal when there are zero J1772 or Supercharger options within 100+ miles in any direction.

I see what you're saying but we'll have to agree to disagree. PlugShare makes it simple to toggle off 14-50, which is effectively a campground toggle. It makes it simple to see *all* known working, EV-friendly charge points at a glance, along with comments from actual EV drivers. Withholding known useful points is counterproductive.

In a place where there's an abundance of solid charge options I agree that it's not necessary or maybe not even useful to add less-fantastic options like campgrounds. But in this particular area of the country, knowing that there's a place with 20+ 14-50 outlets adjacent to a national park entrance is a big deal when there are zero J1772 or Supercharger options within 100+ miles in any direction.
Exactly my take. That's why the campground in Sturgis was added on plugshare (by me) as it made it possible for me to make runs to SD from ND now that I'm ~90k miles and 4 years of degradation prior to Spearfish being added (YAY!). Plus, like has been discussed knowing who is cool with you handing them $10 for charging in their campground randomly is a huge perk then having anything go South because they think you are stealing. It's key for their first contact to be has friendly, helpful, and willing to toss them a few $ for their services.

Reactions: Zaxxon
Exactly my take. That's why the campground in Sturgis was added on plugshare (by me) as it made it possible for me to make runs to SD from ND now that I'm ~90k miles and 4 years of degradation prior to Spearfish being added (YAY!). Plus, like has been discussed knowing who is cool with you handing them $10 for charging in their campground randomly is a huge perk then having anything go South because they think you are stealing. It's key for their first contact to be has friendly, helpful, and willing to toss them a few $ for their services.

FWIW, this particular campground said I was the first to ask for a campsite specifically to charge an EV. They didn't offer any sort of charging-only option, though. It'll be $45 for the site. Since I'll only be there one night, that was fine. They were cool with my intended use. They did think I was a bit weird for planning to park there, then hoof it a mile to a hotel.

• Informative
FWIW, this particular campground said I was the first to ask for a campsite specifically to charge an EV. They didn't offer any sort of charging-only option, though. It'll be $45 for the site. Since I'll only be there one night, that was fine. They were cool with my intended use. They did think I was a bit weird for planning to park there, then hoof it a mile to a hotel.
If it's the one I linked to they have had Teslas there charging, just maybe a different person on the phones at that time, or that last owner just reserved the spot and never told them what it was for.
:)