Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Amador Plaza (LIVE, 14 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is highly unlikely that Tesla would deliberately reduce the max charging rate at a site in exchange for adding more charging spots.

Tesla has either persuaded the local utility to increase the power available to the location or the utility did some local infrastructure improvement for other reasons and Tesla is taking advantage of it. Either way, it's good for us!
I think it's highly likely that this is all speculation. ;)

As CuriousG said, there is a non-zero possibility that Tesla has decided to add more charging spots to service additional cars concurrently during peak travel times, even though the power budget for the site remains the same. As utilization reaches 100%, more cars would perhaps be able to get "just enough" juice for the next leg of their trip without waiting as long, even at a reduced charging rate.

Clearly they would want to increase their power budget at the same time, but would it be a bad move on Tesla's part to add the spots first and then throttle as the total power draw from all stalls reached the allowed maximum?

I think it is highly unlikely that Tesla would deliberately reduce the max charging rate at a site in exchange for adding more charging spots.

Tesla has either persuaded the local utility to increase the power available to the location or the utility did some local infrastructure improvement for other reasons and Tesla is taking advantage of it. Either way, it's good for us!
It isn't that unlikely if a bunch of cars sit idle while it has finished charging. Based on the reporting at this particular SuperCharger, certainly not out the realm of the possibility although I hope they upgraded the infrastructure to have more charging stations without an impact in charging speed.

Looks like the new stalls are ready to be turned on. Also I captured the rare mid-day lull in Dublin (it was full shortly after I left)

IMG_20170411_114353.jpg
).

IMG_20170411_114408.jpg

Wonder when the new stalls are going to come online. They had those Coming Soon hoods over them last night. One of the regular stalls was also coned out, which meant that the 17" screen gave dud information when it showed 1/10 free - that free stall was in fact out. The wait last night was <15 mins. Half the cars there looked unoccupied, including the one on my left, which was there before I showed up, and after I left. Probably got dinged with idle fees.

Two of the new pedestals were working on Saturday. Other new ones still not operable. At the head of the cue, you have to watch those chargers off to the right, as well as the other chargers ahead.
I just checked. The working pedestals are the same two that used to work pre-upgrade project. The 4 new ones are covered with tarp that says "Coming Soon". This is the view from my driver's seat at charging stall #3A. The 4th tarped new pedestal is off the right edge, and the 2nd preexisting working one is hidden behind that PG&E transformer.
image.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and Blu Zap
That split charger layout results in folks sometimes sneaking to the second bank, skipping the line waiting thats usually parked along the area leading to the main bank. Last time I was there, at least one person drove in, looked for a charging spot in the second bank, while studiously ignoring the rest of us parked in line waiting giving him angry looks.

That split charger layout results in folks sometimes sneaking to the second bank, skipping the line waiting thats usually parked along the area leading to the main bank. Last time I was there, at least one person drove in, looked for a charging spot in the second bank, while studiously ignoring the rest of us parked in line waiting giving him angry looks.
@suraj1194
Exactly right. Owners that are at the head of the cue need to watch the two SCs to the right. Too bad Tesla can't take that responsibility. But it is incumbent on us to keep owners from jumping the line. Too bad we have to do that.

I don't think there can be a better way other than for owners to be aware of the existence of a queue and be courteous and line up. It's just too split up and messy to either line up or move around within the parking lot, especially when there's a car transport rig parked there along the side next to the 680S ramp.

It's alright to be a newbie and not realize that the line of cars on the left aren't in fact just sitting there admiring the soaring vistas of the 680/580 interchange, but those deliberately doing so aren't being good fellow owners. I do hope owners will collectively be courteous to each other.

Personally I'm an infrequent user of Dublin. It's almost always full and I typically don't need a charge when I'm in the area. But I expect the layout is an invitation to arguments once the M3 owners start showing up too, and people argue 'that line is for THAT bank'.

Is there a different/better way to queue up?

It would work if the line was facing west with first in line at 1A. Or everyone used the second entrance and the line faced north from the "guest parking" area. That probably isn't a great experience for shoppers, though.
Not safely from the closest entrance. There's not enough room before the freeway onramp just beyond the entrance to the parking lot, and if the queue gets too deep, it could intermingle with freeway onramp traffic. That would be more of a nuisance than a safety hazard, but it would still be a safety hazard.

Your other ideas sound good though; a sign indicating where to line up should do it (a few signs to direct people to the line, and a line start sign that says "start line here" or something).
I don't think there can be a better way other than for owners to be aware of the existence of a queue and be courteous and line up. It's just too split up and messy to either line up or move around within the parking lot, especially when there's a car transport rig parked there along the side next to the 680S ramp.

It's alright to be a newbie and not realize that the line of cars on the left aren't in fact just sitting there admiring the soaring vistas of the 680/580 interchange, but those deliberately doing so aren't being good fellow owners. I do hope owners will collectively be courteous to each other.

Personally I'm an infrequent user of Dublin. It's almost always full and I typically don't need a charge when I'm in the area. But I expect the layout is an invitation to arguments once the M3 owners start showing up too, and people argue 'that line is for THAT bank'.
I laughed at the soaring vistas. Ok, I agree with everything. I don't know what to say other than to try my sign idea.

Reactions: suraj1194