Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dublin, CA - Amador Plaza (LIVE, 14 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished service there yesterday. Although I was near 80 % charge during its one week stay at the SVC they parked it in a supercharger stall with it plugged in until I arrived for pick up. This is the second time I noticed this at Dubln. I would have been happy having it plugged in at just one of their HWPCs . I think service cars are taking up a lot of the spaces.

Just finished service there yesterday. Although I was near 80 % charge during its one week stay at the SVC they parked it in a supercharger stall with it plugged in until I arrived for pick up.
Tesla really should not be doing that at any Supercharger. I am disappointed to hear that continues to occur at that location. All the Service Centers have multiple HPWCs are far as I know.

Just finished service there yesterday. Although I was near 80 % charge during its one week stay at the SVC they parked it in a supercharger stall with it plugged in until I arrived for pick up. This is the second time I noticed this at Dubln. I would have been happy having it plugged in at just one of their HWPCs . I think service cars are taking up a lot of the spaces.
Tesla really should not be doing that at any Supercharger. I am disappointed to hear that continues to occur at that location. All the Service Centers have multiple HPWCs are far as I know.

While agree that this can be an issue for SVC with SC that are busy like Dublin, I think it's OK for places or times with light traffic. The SVC should find out when you are going to be by to pick it up and charge accordingly. And once your car is topped off they should pull it from the stalls and just park it.

At lower volume sites it should not be a problem, but again they need to monitor their free stalls. The one time I was at Dublin on a Thursday at noon, there were always 2-3 cars waiting 10 - 15 minutes for a stall.

Needed to charge to get home the other day and Dublin was closest. What a mistake. Monday at around 3:30 PM and already a queue. Waited 10 minutes for a stall and even had someone thinking about snarking it from me. Later I saw more of that. In addition I think I was throttled after 5 minutes too. Never had that before.

We also witnessed some weird behavior where young persons (low 20's) drove cars into stalls and hooked them up to chargers. After a few minutes an ICE truck comes buy and picks them up. Later other people get dropped off and get in the cars that were brought in to charge. Looks suspiciously like someone is running a charging shuttle service. And to top it off the place emptied at 5pm. That was weirder still.

Add to that the place is a dump. There is a trash can at the chargers which was full and stuff was spilling onto the ground. Same with the doggy doodle container. And the refreshments amounted to stale coffee and a water dispenser you had to bring your own container or use a coffee cup. This had to be the lowest level of Tesla service I have witnessed to date.

From now on I am going to do the locals a favor and avoid that place like the plague.:mad:

Wow. Is it really cheaper to hire a shuttle service (and trust them with your car) than simply charging at home and paying for off peak rates?
I wonder if it's someone using the cars as a livery service and they aren't able to charge wherever they store the vehicles.

Figuring they're saving in the ball park $10-20 per charge, it can't be profitable...

Free Supercharging is the achilles heel of the Supercharger network. Whenever you offer something for free, a significant portion of the population starts going to extreme lengths to take advantage of it. Even a subsidized incremental cost to Supercharge would be enough to discourage abuse.

Unless Tesla keeps building out Superchargers at a rapid pace, what used to be Tesla's best strength over the competition will soon turn into a disadvantage, a victim of their own success.

Wow. Is it really cheaper to hire a shuttle service (and trust them with your car) than simply charging at home and paying for off peak rates?

<speculation> Maybe they're people rich enough to pay for a shuttle service but live in a condo or apartment where home charging isn't available? </speculation>

I was at Dublin a few weeks ago to try the "software update by geofence" experiment. It was late on a Sunday afternoon...the place didn't look as bad as what
@aesculus observed. There were even a couple open stalls so I did a short opportunity charge.

Bruce.

If this is actually what's going on then my only reaction is pure anger... If it were up to me, and I realize it isn't, I'd determine who's cars those are and disable SC on them immediately. That's absolutely an unacceptable use of the network requiring harsh and drastic actions to curb the behavior.

I know there are going to be plenty of you who'd disagree with my stance on that but there are people who are depending on the availability of this network when they purchase their cars. They sure as hell aren't planning or expecting this... I think it's time Tesla starts aggressively curbing local SC use.

Jeff

Reactions: roblab

I know there are going to be plenty of you who'd disagree with my stance on that but there are people who are depending on the availability of this network when they purchase their cars. They sure as hell aren't planning or expecting this... I think it's time Tesla starts aggressively curbing local SC use.

Jeff

And there are plenty who will agree. Tesla needs to think or rethink its policies on supercharging, and quit selling cars with "free charging forever" to people who have no home charging. It just does not, will not ever work.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
There certainly seems to be confluence of factors that makes Dublin a zoo. My wife was in a line of cars at Dublin this morning when a white X showed up and cut past everyone. After calling me and venting, she went and had bit more polite conversation with the driver and eventually the guy got in line. Later, while she was charing, she sent me the following...

Screenshot_9_2_16__10_49_AM.jpg

Me, I do my part by avoiding Dublin like the plague these days. BTW, I am saving this text, simply because she admitted I was actually right about something. :)

Looks like they started some construction this weekend. The 2 SC and the 2 HPWC that are closer to the building are not currently accessible. There was a tech doing maintenance on some of remaining SC stalls but each was immediately usable after he finished.

Attachments

• IMG_20161024_121247.jpg
    IMG_20161024_121247.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 72
Looks like they started some construction this weekend. The 2 SC and the 2 HPWC that are closer to the building are not currently accessible. There was a tech doing maintenance on some of remaining SC stalls but each was immediately usable after he finished.
They're installing more SpC stalls near the SvC. I don't quite understand the concept or orientation of the new stalls. Unless they are going to do some more trenching, my only guess is that these new stalls are intended for cars that are in for service.

They're installing more SpC stalls near the SvC. I don't quite understand the concept or orientation of the new stalls. Unless they are going to do some more trenching, my only guess is that these new stalls are intended for cars that are in for service.

Might be the only best location given the location of the transformer pad and existing bunker. Would be a long cable run to other areas in the parking lot.

Might be the only best location given the location of the transformer pad and existing bunker. Would be a long cable run to other areas in the parking lot.
Yeah, I think you're right. Not a lot of great options. The layout of the parking lot is clearly intended for dealerships with dozens of cars on the lot.

They could wrap around the transformer with four stalls in on the east side of it (by the garage/showroom). They could also put SCs on the stalls next to the 680 ramp (opposite the current SC stalls), although that would eat into the queueing space and there are already times where the line spills out onto Amador Plaza. My last thought would be that cluster of 16-20 spots east of the current SCs.

Yeah, I think you're right. Not a lot of great options. The layout of the parking lot is clearly intended for dealerships with dozens of cars on the lot.

They could wrap around the transformer with four stalls in on the east side of it (by the garage/showroom). They could also put SCs on the stalls next to the 680 ramp (opposite the current SC stalls), although that would eat into the queueing space and there are already times where the line spills out onto Amador Plaza. My last thought would be that cluster of 16-20 spots east of the current SCs.

...I wonder how big the transformer is that PG&E placed and how many Superchargers it would support??