Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - East Brunswick, NJ - State Route 18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BEF92BFF-46A6-429C-8FAA-600AF797000C.jpeg
It's live. I just did a 30% charge from 50 to 80% there this afternoon. Enjoy!
Thanks for letting me know. I’m there now charging finally glad it’s up and running.

The last two times I've visited this Supercharger it has been painfully slow. Today, my peak speed was 24kW or 81 mph. This is the slowest charging I've ever experienced at any supercharger I've visited. When I speak to other drivers charging, they have the same experience. I know we're discouraged from reporting problems through phone technical support. What's the best way to report the problem?

The last two times I've visited this Supercharger it has been painfully slow. Today, my peak speed was 24kW or 81 mph. This is the slowest charging I've ever experienced at any supercharger I've visited. When I speak to other drivers charging, they have the same experience. I know we're discouraged from reporting problems through phone technical support. What's the best way to report the problem?

[email protected]

I'm not as familiar - why is phone support bad?

You should report problems to [email protected]
Was your battery warm? i.e. had you been driving for at least half an hour before trying to charge. What % of charge were you at when you started? Were you paired with any other car which was charging? All of those things will affect the rate of charging.

I frequent this SC location and never had any issues. JSeargant's suggestions make a lot of sense. Try them next time....

Also, when you went did you use the same charger ( spot ) both times?

You should report problems to [email protected]
Was your battery warm? i.e. had you been driving for at least half an hour before trying to charge. What % of charge were you at when you started? Were you paired with any other car which was charging? All of those things will affect the rate of charging.
Yes to all the “yes/no” questions. And my battery was at various states of charge - today it was at 50%. So no reason I can identify for a charge rate of 24 kW. Others I encounter at this station have the same issue. I’ll try the website you suggest. Thanks.

Yes to all the “yes/no” questions. And my battery was at various states of charge - today it was at 50%. So no reason I can identify for a charge rate of 24 kW. Others I encounter at this station have the same issue. I’ll try the website you suggest. Thanks.
If your answer was yes you were paired with another car, that would be your problem. Is that what you meant? If someone is already charging on 1A and you connect to 1B you will only initially get about 25% of the possible max rate until their rate of charge drops.

It amazes me how many people don't seem to be aware of this (not saying that applies to you, but I just want to belabor the point, since I've had people connect to the Supercharger next to me which was paired with me, even though there were available unpaired chargers. Usually I tell them, but sometimes I don't.

This is not an issue on Urban Superchargers where the max rate is a dedicated 72 kW for each charger, but on V2's it definitely is.

Last edited:
If your answer was yes you were paired with another car, that would be your problem. Is that what you meant? If someone is already charging on 1A and you connect to 1B you will only initially get about 25% of the possible max rate until their rate of charge drops.

It amazes me how many people don't seem to be aware of this (not saying that applies to you, but I just want to belabor the point, since I've had people connect to the Supercharger next to me which was paired with me, even though there were available unpaired chargers. Usually I tell them, but sometimes I don't.

This is not an issue on Urban Superchargers where the max rate is a dedicated 72 kW for each charger, but on V2's it definitely is.
I knew that was going to cause confusion as soon as I hit "send"!

No, I wasn't paired with another vehicle. I was actually the only vehicle at the whole station during one experience. I've supercharged at a few places and I'm aware of some of the variables that can cause variance in charging speeds, but none of those apply in this case.

I sent an email to the address you suggest. Hopefully I'll get a response soon.

Reactions: JSergeant
Reposting a post I made on another thread:

I frequently visit a supercharger in East Brunswick, NJ. It's a standard configuration, with a power rating of 120 kW (according to the Tesla website). The last month or two, charging here has been painfully slow - even when using it with one or two other Teslas charging, the steady rate has been as low as 24kW, 81 mph. I have spoken to others charging at that same station at the same time, and their speeds are similar. I had called to report it, but the message assured me that if there was a problem with a supercharging station, Tesla was aware of it and to please hang up. Perhaps naively, I respected that I might be unnecessarily taking up a phone line that someone else with a "real" problem could be using and did not report.

However, after a very unsatisfactory response to an email I sent to technical support about the issue, I finally decided to call support and force the issue. To make a long story short, Tesla was absolutely NOT aware of the issue. In fact, even trying to get the representative to acknowledge the issue was difficult because upon her looking at her board, the supercharger in question did not register any errors. I had to insist that she send a complaint to the engineering department, and took the additional step of visiting the supercharger and plugging in for the specific purpose of calling in and insisting that they monitor my charge to confirm my complaint. Hopefully, they will send someone to investigate and repair. Ironically, the same day I saw several posts about much the same issue at the Allentown, PA supercharger.

It surprises me that no one else had forced this issue, and I would like to encourage all of us to be persistent about making sure our supercharger network is functioning at is maximum capacity. We depend on this network. We can't be complacent about non-functioning or underperforming superchargers. Please take the time to report these things when we experience them, even if it's inconvenient to be on hold for 30 minutes to speak to a rep, and have to go through the frustrating process of convincing some rep to take effective action instead of blowing off the complaint by asking 10 questions about my battery temperature or whether my car was charging on the same circuit as another. If we don't do it, no one else will. And we'll be helping each other avoid getting stranded at a non-functional supercharger we were counting on to get us home.