Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Centro, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the first one like that that I've seen.

I did not check the signage. Hopefully it is dual use and not reserved only for handicapped charging.

I regret to tell you that it's handicapped parking (charging or not) and not legal for a non-handicap car to use that spot. According to Qualcomm's facilities people, a certain proportion of each kind of parking spot must be set aside for handicapped. Apparently the exact proportion depends on the county or something, but if it is marked handicapped, that is it.

I regret to tell you that it's handicapped parking (charging or not) and not legal for a non-handicap car to use that spot. According to Qualcomm's facilities people, a certain proportion of each kind of parking spot must be set aside for handicapped. Apparently the exact proportion depends on the county or something, but if it is marked handicapped, that is it.

Well that does not make a lot of sense. Given the % of handicapped drivers with Teslas. Also there is no particular benefit for a handicapped person to get a special spot, since it is not closer, etc.

Is sitting in your car considered "parking". At least that may be a work around if the other spots are full.

Handicapped spots

Well that does not make a lot of sense. Given the % of handicapped drivers with Teslas. Also there is no particular benefit for a handicapped person to get a special spot, since it is not closer, etc.

I am the primary driver and significant other for someone who no longer drives but is not housebound. This Tesla owner values the increased width for “Handicapped” designated spaces, whether at Super Charger locations, at rest stops or at the mall. The increased width of the space affords a safe “out of traffic” assembly area, and space to transfer between car and scooter.

My Model S replaced a Honda Odyssey as the primary transport both local errands and for road-trips. I store a small scooter under the hatchback, which I assemble and position by the passenger door as needed. My friend says the firmness of the Tesla seats to assist entry/exit, and it is a lot less effort when I assist with transfer, so we think the Model S is a huge improvement over the ramp equipped minivan. At Superchargers the wider spots allow the time spent for loading and unloading to be used for charging. Typically after we have found a restroom and Starbucks, our charge is complete and we are on the way.

I know there is at least one other Super Charger location with a “Handicapped” stall, at Centralia WA.

Is sitting in your car considered "parking". At least that may be a work around if the other spots are full.

I've seen Tesla's with handicapped stickers/signs/plates here in Florida and I know of at least a couple of TMC members who require handicapped parking. The main point of handicapped spots is the extra room afforded to allow the vehicle occupants (may be other than the driver!) to exit/enter the vehicle. We can get excited pretty quickly when EV spots are ICE'd so let's not start zapping handicapped parking places please.

That said, I'd be 99% certain that no other Tesla driver will object to you getting a charge if the other stalls are full although you should be prepared to give up your place immediately if a handicapped owner/passenger required the spot. BUT to answer your question, yes, certainly in some jurisdictions, sitting in your car is considered "parking" and you could be subject to ticketing.

I'm wondering if this isn't throwing more confusion into the "Are these PARKING spots or CHARGING spots?" discussion. Interesting, at any rate.

To provide an unpleasant situation: you're coasting into El Centro on quarks, and seven of the spots are ICEd! Phew - there's one charging site open. Guess which one it is?

Now: if you choose to charge there, who might become the ticketed operator? I'm afraid the answer is clear....

El Centro are all pull in. Even if the spots are ICE'd, you can just pull along side and plug in. Not the best thing as you then would need to stay with the car but you can still charge.

If Tesla could get more places to agree with placing Superchargers with that condition...I could accept it.

I am the primary driver and significant other for someone who no longer drives but is not housebound. This Tesla owner values the increased width for “Handicapped” designated spaces, whether at Super Charger locations, at rest stops or at the mall. The increased width of the space affords a safe “out of traffic” assembly area, and space to transfer between car and scooter.

My Model S replaced a Honda Odyssey as the primary transport both local errands and for road-trips. I store a small scooter under the hatchback, which I assemble and position by the passenger door as needed. My friend says the firmness of the Tesla seats to assist entry/exit, and it is a lot less effort when I assist with transfer, so we think the Model S is a huge improvement over the ramp equipped minivan. At Superchargers the wider spots allow the time spent for loading and unloading to be used for charging. Typically after we have found a restroom and Starbucks, our charge is complete and we are on the way.

I know there is at least one other Super Charger location with a “Handicapped” stall, at Centralia WA.

I'm not against handicap spots at all. I have a wheelchair bound friend and understand the need to the extra space when entering/exiting his truck.

But permanently reserving 1/8th of the charging locations for exclusive use of people with Handicap placards seems extremely wasteful.

It should be a "Handicap Priority" spot, meaning you use it only when the others are full and you have to be prepared to move your car if it's needed by someone.

These are not 'parking' spaces any more than the islands at gas stations. The mindset needs to be altered. These are charging lanes that happen to be in a parking lot. Signs should read 'No Parking - Active EV Charging Only'. If Tesla wants to designate one lane as 'Handicap Accessible' - they have my vote.

Off line at noon 9/14/15

Arrived at this station on Monday 9/14/15 at around 12 noon and tried all the stalls. No charge- Called Tesla to make them aware, turns out there was a utility problem. Tesla was working on getting it resolved. However, we had just enough range left to make Yuma. So we moved on- Felt bad for the second Tesla to arrive I think he was headed west. Hope he was able to get a charge at the local Nissan Dealer or one of the near by RV parks. This sort of event really shakes you up. Lucky for us it worked out without a flatbed.. Need to get some better real time data to the cars now that in many places the supercharger density is enough if you know the next one is off line, you can "overcharge" and skip one.

IMG_6187.JPG

How come I'm getting such poor charging power at El Centro today? The heat? It's 108F right now.

I'm seeing 32kW only of supercharger power and yet I only have 114mi range on battery at moment. Very slow charging here, argh.

I assume car is limiting charge because it's hot as blazes?

It's not uncommon to have one or more of the stations with reduced power. Feel free to report here, plugshare, or by calling Tesla, but if you ever see anything that low, just switch to a spot with a different number.

Also the rise in temp from 108 to 116 while you're parking was not a real temperature rise. That's just what happens when you park some place. The air around the thermometer is trapped and gets hotter.