Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flagstaff, AZ - US-89

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by today (2/19) and the fences are gone and the entrance is open. Doesn't seem to be powered yet.
20230219_123654.jpg

Reactions: Sasmania
This site is showing in the Tesla app now. 24 stalls. It sure looked like there was 7 charging cabinets in some of the pictures, but I guess it is just 6.
Oops, I was thinking of Eloy with the surprise of 7 cabinets. Either way, this site will be great for I-40 drivers, and those going up to Page and/or the North Rim! (Well, once 12” of snow stops falling every 3 days or so). :)

We make the drive from Colorado to Phoenix every year for baseball and find ourselves in a "barely" making situation every time. A new charger at circle k helps little. Is anyone at Tesla reading this? We need a North of Flagstaff supercharger!! Next year we drive the RAV and will be confident that we can make it both directions.

We make the drive from Colorado to Phoenix every year for baseball and find ourselves in a "barely" making situation every time. A new charger at circle k helps little. Is anyone at Tesla reading this? We need a North of Flagstaff supercharger!! Next year we drive the RAV and will be confident that we can make it both directions.
What route are you taking? I usually do Hollbrook to Payson down to PHX. Hollbrook to Flagstaff I guess is more of a "scenic" route

She lists Basalt as her address, so it is probable that she comes along the Western Slope through Blanding and into Flagstaff on US89. I suspect she would like one in Cameron or on US160 around Tuba City or even Kayenta. The rumor regarding Kayenta was that the tribal council (or whoever makes decisions) was skeptical of allowing a Supercharger station there. Cannot confirm or deny.

• Informative
Reactions: gene
^If you look at the Kayenta thread starting here: Supercharger - Kayenta, AZ
you will see that a proposed Supercharger station got a LOT of pushback from the Navajo rank and file. Their reasons may not make sense, but that seems to have been the end of it so far as the Diné leadership and Tesla are concerned. Kayenta was removed from the coming soon list on Tesla.com.

I certainly don't like going the long way via Gallup but it at least it can be done. (If going to/from Phoenix, Gallup/Holbrook to Payson allows skipping Flagstaff entirely.) Another option is to charge overnight at the Gouldings Resort campground in Monument Valley, well worth the visit anyway, and that will allow getting to or from Flagstaff, 169 miles. Not practical for those who make regular trips between Flagstaff and Cortez, except in the longest range cars, but something to consider as a one-off adventure.

Monument Valley Panorama2019-21sf 4-21-18.jpg

Last edited:
^If you look at the Kayenta thread starting here: Supercharger - Kayenta, AZ
you will see that a proposed Supercharger station got a LOT of pushback from the Navajo rank and file. Their reasons may not make sense, but that seems to have been the end of it so far as the Diné leadership and Tesla are concerned. Kayenta was removed from the coming soon list on Tesla.com.

I certainly don't like going the long way via Gallup but it at least it can be done. (If going to/from Phoenix, Gallup/Holbrook to Payson allows skipping Flagstaff entirely.) Another option is to charge overnight at the Gouldings Resort campground in Monument Valley, well worth the visit anyway, and that will allow getting to or from Flagstaff, 169 miles. Not practical for those who make regular trips between Flagstaff and Cortez, except in the longest range cars, but something to consider as a one-off adventure.

View attachment 915938

I recall the issue with the Navajo tribe. Whats even more insteresting is ABQ has made some great strides with the Nations over there so I dont know what the Navajo tribe concerns is (but again, its their land so I get that part).

I recall the issue with the Navajo tribe. Whats even more insteresting is ABQ has made some great strides with the Nations over there so I dont know what the Navajo tribe concerns is (but again, its their land so I get that part).
It seems like you already get this, but they are different tribes. Or were you assuming that all tribes would have similar attitudes towards EVs, commerce, etc.?

Reactions: JamesEarl15
The gist of the comments was that Diné leadership was allowing a Supercharger Station to benefit rich Tesla owners while many hogans on the rez don't even have electricity, which is quite true. The idea that drivers using the Supercharger Station would be visiting local businesses while their cars charged didn't seem to occur to them, nor did the idea that gas stations already support visitors passing through Kayenta.

The reaction was very negative and it appeared that the idea was dropped. Those of us who had been hoping for a Kayenta Supercharger Station for years gave up. Not going to happen, for now.

At the very least, it would be nice to have a Supercharger Station in Cortez; most people want one in Durango but that is only fifty-one miles from Farmington. Durango would be good for US 160 if an Alamosa Supercharger Station ever gets built (149 miles). Cortez makes the 260 mile jump to this new Flagstaff Supercharger Station easier for long range cars and it is the gateway city to Mesa Verde National Park. [Cortez is also 81 miles from Blanding, 75 miles from Farmington and 73 miles from Mountain Village Supercharger Stations.]

Last edited:
The gist of the comments was that Diné leadership was allowing a Supercharger Station to benefit rich Tesla owners while many hogans on the rez don't even have electricity, which is quite true. The idea that drivers using the Supercharger Station would be visiting local businesses while their cars charged didn't seem to occur to them, nor did the idea that gas stations already support visitors passing through Kayenta.

The reaction was very negative and it appeared that the idea was dropped. Those of us who had been hoping for a Kayenta Supercharger Station for years gave up. Not going to happen, for now.

At the very least, it would be nice to have a Supercharger Station in Cortez; most people want one in Durango but that is only fifty-one miles from Farmington. Durango would be good for US 160 if an Alamosa Supercharger Station ever gets built (149 miles). Cortez makes the 260 mile jump to this new Flagstaff Supercharger Station easier for long range cars and it is the gateway city to Mesa Verde National Park. [Cortez is also 81 miles from Blanding, 75 miles from Farmington and 73 miles from Mountain Village Supercharger Stations.]
Cortez supercharger would definitely be better than nothing, would save some time driving through Farmington. Unfortunately, making it from Flagstaff SC to Cortez through Tuba City/Kayenta/4 corners probably isnt easily doable even in a 100D car unless you really watched your speed and climate settings.