Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Folsom, CA - Iron Point Rd. (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folsom superchargers

Just went to Folsom superchargers today for the first time and plugged in with no other car near me and did a range charge. Started with about 90 miles left and after 50 minutes only went to 197, would have taken 1 hour to get to the 208 full charge. Somehow I thought it would be faster. Any input would be appreciated.

That's definitely abnormal and it should have been much faster. I've used the Folsom supercharger along with 4 others and I've never had it charge so slowly. After about giving it 5 minutes or so to warm up, my car is usually charging at about 220 miles/hour and it begins to slow down a little as my car starts topping the 170 mile range left region. The charge is quite slow when you get to the higher end, but I've never seen it go below 120 miles/hour (and it was only at 125ish when my car was at about 200 miles of charge already).

I've had a supercharger station in Barstow screw me over once because it "overheated." Maybe your charger station overheated at some point?

This last weekend I was on a trip and on the way home I stopped at the Folsom outlet stores to charge up before making it home. I was at about 5% when I arrived (yes, I like cutting it close). When I plugged in I was the only tesla there, and only was getting about 200 amps. This was at night, and it was probably between 75 to 80 degrees. Oddly, about 8 months ago I believe, when I plugged in there I was getting about 300 amps. I'm wondering if they have had to throttle back the amps there, which could be why they are opening another location in Folsom.

Also, while I was there, which was after the outlet stores were closed, there was a car in the parking lot that drove by a few times, then parked off in the distance. I never saw any body wandering around, but it was a little peculiar. They do have security that normally drives around, but this car looked unmarked. In the past when I've stopped there at night, a security vehicle would drive up behind me. No one ever got out and talked to me at all, but I wonder if they are recording the license plate numbers of vehicles that stop there at night. I'm not sure that this vehicle that drove by during my last stop there was security even though it was unmarked. Not that anything bad has happened, but something interesting to note.

Heads up on this supercharger (the ones at the Folsom Outlets, not Palladio).....they are closed as of today due to construction. The entire outlets appear to be inaccessible as I drove all the way around looking for a way in, but every entrance/exit is blocked by caution tape. I think they are doing construction of some sort in the parking lots. The supercharger at Palladio nearby is quite busy and most of the cars have been here 2+ hours. Nobody has left and it is completely full!

Damage I found in stalls 3 and 4 when I arrived. Back and front images of stall 3. Less damage in stall 4. No excuse as you only pull forward and these are easiest of the stalls to park in.

IMG_1295.jpg
IMG_1296.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Informative
Reactions: KathyApplebaum
I noticed on the way there was there was no status indicator showing how many stalls are available on the map. Just a little further down the road, it showed the Palladio status so I know it wasn't my car. I was also surprised that there were no other Teslas charging as this was on a Saturday. Foot and car traffic was still pretty heavy even though there were lots of stores that have gone out of business.

When I made my way back to the car maybe half an hour later, there were still no Teslas charging. Maybe the locals have deemed this as an unreliable Supercharger station?