Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fontana, CA (LIVE 29 Mar 2019, 24 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped by this morning as I was running errands. Friday, 17 August, 2018.

Doesn't look like any progress has been made. Didn't spot any transformers closeby either.

IMG_5509.jpg

Was that concrete base/top on the street before?

IMG_5512.jpg

The charger cabinet for the ADA slots (I think, anyways).

Pedestals were still wrapped in the black plastic as shown in the last few picture updates.

I did speak with a Union Pacific worker who was driving by and asked me what was going on with the construction. I told him what they were and he got annoyed by that, saying that he didn't think such exclusive charger access should be given to Tesla in a "public place." I told him that the lot was not "publicly owned" and that the shopping center management company arranged the spots just like any other store in the center would do with storefronts. The convo was not a bad one, he just wasn't a fan of anything Tesla.

He said he was looking to buy a Volt since it was more affordable and I let him know that Tesla had the Model 3 and would soon be selling a more affordable version. He settled down a bit and maybe he will check it out as he considers things further... especially with all the chargers going up... even in Fontana... eventually.... whenever SCE decides they want to finish this. ;)

Lastly, mods might want to consider changing the thread title with the correct number of charging spots. There are definitely 24, not 23.

Last edited:
24 stalls, everything built since it was first spotted 4 months(!!!) ago, just waiting to be energized. Meanwhile, the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger has lines on the weekends, and now they're down to only 10 stalls (the damaged one was removed, and the paired stall was deactivated). With the new Model 3's in the area also sharing the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger, you'd think someone would spur SCE to finish the Fontana location. Starting to see how San Diego probably feels with their supercharger issues.

Meanwhile, the Rancho Cucamonga supercharger has lines on the weekends, and now they're down to only 10 stalls (the damaged one was removed, and the paired stall was deactivated).

I recently read, perhaps on one of the various blogs, that future supercharger installations will occur near the closest locations, where existing superchargers have high usage. Rancho Cucamonga has pretty high usage, so it is not surprising that many of us didn't see Fontana coming. I guess we can forget the online supercharge map and planned, future locations for 2018 and 2019 unless nearby ones are experiencing high usage.

I stopped by Fontana today and the only change I saw was the speed the weeds were growing.

The "planned locations" were always just automatically placed in the city names, they were never based in real data other than "oh, Pasadena will get one". Supercharge.info has way better information. I'm still just bummed, I need that Fontana charger to help with my work commute.

Conspiracy theory: they built and completed construction in 2018Q2 to take the expense on their balance sheets and quarterly performance. Tesla has stated they want 2018Q3 to be the biggest quarter ever, showing a profit and showing great revenue. :tinfoil: what if they're holding off on completion of this Supercharger until October 1, when the expense to get SCE to do the installation and the costs involved with Supercharging are taken? That way, Q3 is spotless, and Q4 takes the hit, which can be offset against all the new Model 3's in the area charging at this location?

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155 and K3Man