Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLUS EV: yes, too slow - pain not mitigated in any way.
Is there no accountability within Tesla for the Fort Stockton fiasco?

With my old P85 each trip through the area cost me about 3 hours of my life.
Forced to take the Jeep most trips, starting in early 2014. After 4 years I decided to punt and buy the bigger battery.
With the new 100D it only costs me about 30 minutes per trip - plus the $110,000 of course :(

I will never understand the intentional lack of communication between Tesla and Tesla owners.
Even if it comes straight from Elon, it is bad policy. It hurts sales and it certainly doesn't build confidence in Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

Forced to take the Jeep most trips, starting in early 2014. After 4 years I decided to punt and buy the bigger battery.
With the new 100D it only costs me about 30 minutes per trip - plus the $110,000 of course :(

I will never understand the intentional lack of communication between Tesla and Tesla owners.
Even if it comes straight from Elon, it is bad policy. It hurts sales and it certainly doesn't build confidence in Tesla.

The Fort Stockton RV Park is the solution people use for the lack of a supercharger here? I was thinking of renting a spot in the RV Park for the night then walking a mile or so to a hotel. Any better ideas?

Haven’t been through the area so don’t know it personally, but -

Judging from much of the content of this endless thread, that sounds like quite the bargain.

Six: the RV parks a few miles east of town, and it is usually very hot in summer, so walking to a hotel is not a good idea.
I am unaware of any destination chargers in the area, despite many approaches by Tesla enthusiasts and Tesla.
You might try calling the Best Western + to see if they ever installed a destination charger or NEMA 14-50.
They were in contact with Tesla two years ago about a Supercharger, and more recently as a place for HPWCs.

Tesla's policy of automatically paying for destination charger installation has changed, so we may never see a DC in FS.

Seems that a 100 kWh S going speed limit can make it with less than ideal weather but would be annoying and greatly limits the ability to charge and go quickly.... we don’t talk much about the added time in ozona or van horn. Ugh

buttershrimp: yes, heading west I need 100%. Last trip I stopped at 97% and arrived in Fort Davis with 35 miles left on a 100 battery.
That's not enough margin to handle a detour out here.

If you plan to drive from Fort Stockton to Fort Davis via Alpine and there is an accident, a fire, or a flood you will likely be stranded on Highway 67 - and without cell phone coverage. I don't think anyone at Tesla understands this.

buttershrimp: yes, heading west I need 100%. Last trip I stopped at 97% and arrived in Fort Davis with 35 miles left on a 100 battery.
That's not enough margin to handle a detour out here.

If you plan to drive from Fort Stockton to Fort Davis via Alpine and there is an accident, a fire, or a flood you will likely be stranded on Highway 67 - and without cell phone coverage. I don't think anyone at Tesla understands this.
Interesting, no doubt it's the biggest glaring weakness in my view.... but even I tend to think of this supercharger in terms of hauling ass.....most likely to New Mexico versus going up through Lubbock..... I'm willing to hypermile and do other unwise things, but I really don't want to hypermile on interstate. Anyway, I see that stretch and think, ok, uphill against wind, rain, etc. I could do it most likely, but it would suck and I no longer want to drive until there is less than 6 miles remaining. When I think of going to Marfa, I think of making it to the Destination charger over night. I've never considered the idea of making detours until you mentioned it, which it dawned on me.... there is a whole lot I want to see out there. Alpine, Marfa, Marathon, (I'll skip Pecos), Terilingua.... Yep, we need Ft. Stockton ASAP

Reactions: XHabjab