Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by today at 1:20pm for the first time to try and get a charge at this location. All eight spots were taken. There were two cars waiting. I would have been the third. Of those eight cars charging, only two people were inside their cars. The other 6 were empty. I did not hang around, as I had enough to get to Redondo Beach. There, I got the last spot. 7 of the 8 cars had drivers sitting in their cars, which was nice because 3 spots opened while I was there.

Why do you complain about cars being empty? What's wrong with going into a store or restaurant (thereby supporting the property in return for giving up space for Tesla) while my car charges? My Tesla App notifies me 15 minutes before charging stops so I have plenty of time to get back and clear out for the next guy.

Reactions: bmah
Why do you complain about cars being empty? What's wrong with going into a store or restaurant (thereby supporting the property in return for giving up space for Tesla) while my car charges? My Tesla App notifies me 15 minutes before charging stops so I have plenty of time to get back and clear out for the next guy.
Wasn't complaining. Just stating facts. I typically do not stay in my car either

Dropped by there today just to check it out and it was crazy busy!
All 8 stalls were busy and 7 people waiting!!!
There was an attendant there managing and trying to keep things in check!
That is ridiculous. Unfortunately, the Buena Park and Santa Ana Superchargers are unlikely to have a major impact on this. They may relieve SJC a bit, which in turn could open that up so fewer people charge here, but still, wow. I hope Tesla has their eye on this, specifically for an expansion or additional 405 location.

This is slowest Supercharger I have used so far. Came in with 40 miles left. Charging at only 94 miles an hours. Busy location. All stalls taken. Waited 10 minutes.
Were you on station 4B, last one on the right? That one is faulty, charging at only 74A for me yesterday and the guy plugged into 4A was already in taper. He said that someone told him the same about 4B last week.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
For a while Tesla had people (actually sub-contractors, not employees) at some of the SpCs directing new arrivals to spaces, plugging in for them, etc.
I was at the Culver City SC last week. They now have a true valet option, where they will actually park the car and charge it for you. They will return it when you are done shopping. At least this way any car that has finished its charge is moved. At this time, it is an optional service. They valet is located elsewhere at the mall and not by the SC.

Was at FV today, and sure enough there was a fellow there keeping order and plugging cars in. Was an 18-minute wait for a paired charge - first time for that in a long time. Instead of ~1kW/min, was about 0.67kW/min.

I suggested the fellow make a point of encouraging people to return *before* their charges were complete. Friendly user education and all that.

I don't know why the Southwest Region has such questionable siting, but it's going to become a chronic problem without a change in direction/leadership of that team. If you put an SC at a shopping center or a mall, people are going to shop. Great for the shopping center - not so great for optimal car turnover. This siting *creates* inevitable problems in areas of density.

It takes a lot of work to deploy an SC. More effort/care for siting avoids CREATING conflicts of interest and will not waste the overall effort. It's a lot easier to site an SC optimally in the first place than to have to deploy valets as a band-aid.

There are plenty of alternate locations not located in store parking lots or at malls. I would suggest they be considered more carefully for the next SC locations in the OC and North (San Diego) County.

I think the best place for these SC, connect it to Starbucks. Go in get a coffee and go out.

Or implement what Nrg Evgo does. It stop charging after 30 mins. At best they can only charge 30 mins at a time. If they need more, go back to the SC and press the button again.

This at lest let the driver know, you need to move in less than 30 mins, so stick around.

Or some form of penalty for sitting too long. Ppl just need motivation.

Driving from San Diego to LA early Saturday morning, stopped at the FV supercharger at about 6:20am, three cars were already there. Stayed till 06:40, all stations were full and two cars were waiting. I couldn't believe it for so early in the morning.

Driving from San Diego to LA early Saturday morning, stopped at the FV supercharger at about 6:20am, three cars were already there. Stayed till 06:40, all stations were full and two cars were waiting. I couldn't believe it for so early in the morning.
There has been so much discussion about locals charging, leaving there cars behind for extended periods, etc, that I am now beginning to question that based on your comments. Why would any local want to wait in line to charge? Alternatively, could it be that lines formed in the first place because locals get there first and leave their cars for extended periods? The fact that a line can form at 6:40am on a Saturday morning, with the Costco not even close to opening yet, makes me feel otherwise. My guess is that these are people trying to get to/from San Diego.

For the record, locals, to me, are people who are living nearby and opportunity charging or don't have home charging. I highly doubt those people would bother charging at 6:40am, unless a cup-o-joe at Starbucks is that worth it. To me, I would not call someone who lives in either SD or LA "local" (we have seen people on this forum, maybe even this thread, complain that their plates are from California. What???).

Last edited:
Just left FV on way home to SD ...only stall open was 4B and sure enough it was faulty...charger stopped few times and had to release and put back in to start .. There was a 5 car wait at 5pm..

Charged there the other day, and I got lucky as a few cars pulled out as I was pulling in. The attendant said there was an 8 car wait the prior hour, and cars queued up as I was charging. I needed the charge for the drive back up I5. Can't wait for the Buena Park site to open up. Our Southern California/Disney visits would be easier.

@siucity - note that Buena Park, in addition to being an SvC is also a CPO hub. Regular SvCs have a habit of platooning cars through their SCs, which fills them. I imagine the CPO/delivery responsibilities will just make that worse.

The good news at least is (unlike Fountain Valley and the lollygagging Costco shoppers) that the SvC techs will also move an inventory/loaner/customer car that's under their care if you are traveling and need to get in and get out. Also, upon request, they will not pair with you if you are charging - again, so that you can get on your way as quickly as possible. Encountered both these cases at/near SLC and Knoxville. All you have to do is ask.