Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Fountain Valley (LIVE 28 Aug 2015, Expanded 27 Oct 2017, 16 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, with this many people waiting to charge their cars, I can't imaging what is the line will be when Tesla releases thousands of model 3 (with SC capability) cars in a few years!
At the Model 3 launch, Elon said that Tesla would double the number of Superchargers by the end of 2017. And obviously will continue to expand the charging network into the future.

What you imagine as a problem is simply not a problem. Superchargers are relatively inexpensive to build (cheaper than a new gas station), and electricity is almost everywhere.

This is a concern of mine since I'm buying an S60. I travel to San Diego/Coronado frequently and it's about 95-100 miles one way. I have to charge to make it back home so I will be relying on a supercharger.

Has anyone confronted/asked people at supercharger if they are local or how badly they need the charge? I wonder what percentage of Tesla owners supercharge just to "top off".

Stopped by on my way to John Wayne airport. Got there around 9:30pm all but two stalls were taken. Crazy to see a couple just drive in with another car just to pick up their charging X. But it was funny to see her baaaarely make her way out, she almost backed into a pole.
This is very frustrating. Now, if they dropped off their X only an hour before, that would be perfectly fine. If they dropped it off the night before, or anything more than an hour prior, that would be quite offensive. Since we do not know, it is hard to pass judgement. At the same time, I would have definitely taken their plate and notified TM (even though they know) and let them investigate to truth. A phone call to TM might make them more likely to have a discussion with the violator (again, if a violation even occurred).

I really wish TM would step up and put a time limit on parking at these congested locations. I know we debated what to say ad nauseam, but please, put up a "1 hour limit while charging sign", at least until they can come up with something better.

The FV Superchargers are close to John Wayne and lots of limo/car service companies use them (just like the three locations by LAX).

Just a tip, if the wait is during off-hours, the Schneider CHAdeMO -http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/42957 is available for public use, just make sure it's non business hours. (Got about 112 miles per hour there)

Again, until the OC has at least as many SCs as LA County, given that the highest number of owners in any county call Orange County home, and until they build an SC in North San Diego County, both SJC and FV are going to continue to get disproportionate traffic.

At 10pm, you know they're not shopping at the nearby Costco. There are probably travelers heading north from SD who don't want to deal with SJC which isn't exactly convenient. A North County SC shifts the load further north to Redondo, Hawthorne, and Culver City. The only county less adequately resourced than the OC would be San Diego County.

That said, ICEing by our own is just offensive. Doesn't matter if they are locals, livery, or travelers. Get back to yer chariot a few minutes before the charge is complete. It ain't rocket science. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Harrumph.

/goml

Reactions: AMPd
Planning to stop by FV supercharger tomorrow (Sunday). How accurate is good Popular Time estimate?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 67
Anecdotally, that looks about right. If you can get to Redondo instead, it tends to be less busy than FV.

Sunday into the evening and Fridays after work are bad whether it's a Costco gas station or an SC. Confluence of density and distance along the 405 in particular.

Did anyone see the Fisker Karma supercharging around 8am this morning?
Since it isn't possible to charge a Fisker Karma from a Tesla supercharger, it sounds like they don't fully appreciate the difference between a charging spot and a parking space. The alternative is that they're doing it deliberately to mask the inner regret they feel about their poor life decisions. ;)

Welcome to TMC, by the way!

Is that question intended to be humorous?

Every time I see one of those cars with the circuit board roof panels, I think of Tron.

That's kinda humorous.

What kills me about FV is that it's yet another SC in close proximity to shopping - and in particular to a Costco - not exactly known for being a quick in and out - plus it's a 20-minute round trip walk before any shopping is done. And as anyone who's shopped at Costco can tell you, the checkout lines aren't always short.

And that's not humorous.