Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CDCDEE11-508F-4EC5-A0F1-850D8D1E6848.jpeg
EA9269DC-C50C-4C46-9D1F-5D1F9AF748C3.jpeg
Weekend update.

The underground conduit is there. They will spend the day tying it in and installing the mule tape. He’s done and out of there today. AP will start there cable pulling next. No Transformer on site, any day now

The guys will set last three bases today and restore site. Charging pedestals are still on back order till mid September ☹️

Cables are in between switch gear and super chargers

I’ll have the squirrel keep an eye on the place.

No one working at main site. Two-man crew doing cleanup along path of power supply conduit. Leveling and seeding. Talked to them. They said the power conduit work is complete. They don't know what's going on with the charger site. I did see that all 10 pedestal bases are now in place.

Forgot to ask did the power company set there transformer? (large green box next to Tesla's gear)

Drove by this AM. All the wood fencing is up for the cabinets. Very tidy work. Looks like they completed all the grading to cover open holes and the remaining heavy work is integration of the infamous Tesla pedestals. Once the pedestals are installed, presume there are a few other testing steps to take. So close, but yet so far.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv and Thinkje
Drove by in the rain. Did not want to get wet for better photography. Kindog's description is right on, but notice the green transformer is now in place. Progress indeed.View attachment 445534

That is big progress. Now all the cabling from BJ's and the switchboard can be done and terminated. Good deal. They could possibly get a service inspection and set the meter and turn on the juice while we sit and wait for those backordered pedestals.

Did you see the underground crew working down by BJ's and or is there large black pipe pile gone? it was half way to BJ's.

Yes the mini excavator blocks the view of the utility transformer. I cant see it either. it was the third concrete pad. EDIT I went back to the picture and the pad would have been to the left of the excavator.

When this site is done I wonder how much pressure if any it will take off of Gaithersburg. that place is always full.

It will keep me out of Gaithersburg. Frederick is my weekend destination and I hate using the main highways. So I try hard to not need to run down to Gaithersburg.

I recall around a month ago I went there for dinner with a friend and plugged in while we ate at Copper Canyon. Food was ok, but the damn car charges too fast for a proper meal. I had to get up an move the car before we were done.

Leesburg actually will keep me happy if I can't get to Haymarket. But I'm getting concerned with my range. I've been watching it more closely and I'm just not getting anywhere near the miles I should get. Isn't it in the winter when the range goes down so badly?

That is big progress. Now all the cabling from BJ's and the switchboard can be done and terminated. Good deal. They could possibly get a service inspection and set the meter and turn on the juice while we sit and wait for those backordered pedestals.

Does anyone know if these will be 250 kW chargers or the newer higher power chargers? Given they cut the number of pedestals back from 12 to 10 and the pedestals are backordered, I'm wondering if they aren't installing 350 kW units?

Does anyone know if these will be 250 kW chargers or the newer higher power chargers? Given they cut the number of pedestals back from 12 to 10 and the pedestals are backordered, I'm wondering if they aren't installing 350 kW units?

The newer chargers you’re referring to are 250 kW. The ones being installed in Frederick are the standard 144 kW. Leesburg is 72 kW.

The newer chargers you’re referring to are 250 kW. The ones being installed in Frederick are the standard 144 kW. Leesburg is 72 kW.

Sorry, Supercharger inflation. lol

So even though these will be "Supercharger classic" they are backordered. That says something and it ain't that Tesla is installing a lot more Superchargers than they used to.

I was charging at Haymarket the other day and a model 3 owner was talking about how the model 3 would charge at the full 144 kW while S and X won't. I don't recall ever getting 144 kW, but I do regularly get 130. Was he talking about the extra 14 kW I was missing out on or he was a bit confused and thinking of the model 3s working with the full 250 kW on the newer chargers.

BTW, I'm not doubting you, but how do you know the Frederick chargers will be 144 and not 250? Is this indicated somewhere?

Leesburg actually will keep me happy if I can't get to Haymarket. But I'm getting concerned with my range. I've been watching it more closely and I'm just not getting anywhere near the miles I should get. Isn't it in the winter when the range goes down so badly?
I see you're a new member. Beg your pardon if you already know this: efficiency on short jaunts is low when it's cold outside. And when it's hot outside. It takes considerable energy to bring the inside of a cold car up to 70°. And to bring the inside of a hot car down to 70°. If you're plugged in, turn climate control on before departure.

I see others have previously replied with some advice. Also note that short trips use more energy than longer trips. The way you drive also has a huge effect on range. Your heating and AC system settings also have an impact. If you leave the car sitting with camping mode on or dog mode on, that'll turn also cause a spike in the usage numbers when you go again.

I see you're a new member. Beg your pardon if you already know this: efficiency on short jaunts is low when it's cold outside. And when it's hot outside. It takes considerable energy to bring the inside of a cold car up to 70°. And to bring the inside of a hot car down to 70°. If you're plugged in, turn climate control on before departure.

Not that new. The AC I believe is about 3 kW, so even if it runs 100% of the time (which it doesn't) it is a fraction of the power used to move the car, so a red herring.

I have a 100 kWh battery and still can't get even 240 miles between charges that being a number that should be reasonable for non-highspeed driving between 10% and 90% of charge. There have been times when I have been clocked at below 300 Wh/mi over the full run, but still couldn't get 240 miles on a charge. That's when I tried paying more attention to the kWh going into the battery vs. the %charge given credit for. I'm already below 96% of the original capacity. I'm watching it more closely now.

The real issue is that you can never just assume you are going to have enough charge to get to any given location if you don't track it closely. I'm about to drive 120 miles starting at 77%. But I won't be near a charger and will put about 50 miles on locally before returning. I'll not only have to charge on my way up, I'll also need to charge on the way back. It's so bad, that I don't bother to charge at home anymore. If I were starting with 90% charge from here, I couldn't count on reaching the charger on the way back without stopping on the way up. So why screw with plugging in at home?