Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have information on the location and timing for the planned Frederick, Maryland supercharger? It is supposed to be coming this year.

Tesla seems to be making deals with Sheetz, Wawa and Royal Farms to locate chargers. I've noticed the recent supercharger openings near Cleveland are both at Sheetz stations.

My bet for the future Frederick location is the Sheetz at East Patrick Street and Monacacy Blvd. It has easy access to I-70 and is not too far off I-270/Rt. 15. There are multiple fast food options within 500 feet. There is another Frederick Sheetz near Francis Scott Key Mall. Convenient to I-270, but not not so much to I-70.

If it's not located at a Sheetz, I have no clue where Tesla will put it.

• Funny
Reactions: MMC-
Does anyone have information on the location and timing for the planned Frederick, Maryland supercharger? It is supposed to be coming this year.

Tesla seems to be making deals with Sheetz, Wawa and Royal Farms to locate chargers. I've noticed the recent supercharger openings near Cleveland are both at Sheetz stations.

My bet for the future Frederick location is the Sheetz at East Patrick Street and Monacacy Blvd. It has easy access to I-70 and is not too far off I-270/Rt. 15. There are multiple fast food options within 500 feet. There is another Frederick Sheetz near Francis Scott Key Mall. Convenient to I-270, but not not so much to I-70.

Sheetz at 6050 Buckeystown Pike according to Sheetz mobile app.

I frequently use that Sheetz’ ATM as my bank. (I get gas at the Costco around the corner.)

Don’t know why the Sheetz app shows ev charging at this store. There is no ev charging there now. There is insufficient parking, and no room to add a row of superchargers within the property’s footprint. Other than that, there are no other businesses in easy walking distance, unless you want to shop next door for an Audi or Volvo.

To me, this would be a poor site for the Frederick supercharger. But of course I don’t get to decide.

Went hunting for the future supercharger. The manager at the Walkersville Sheetz knew nothing. And could care less. The manager at the East Patrick St. Sheetz knew that his company was making deals with Tesla and the chargers were moving south. He said he’d make inquiries, and I could come back in a week for more information.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and J__T
You know this might not be going into a Sheetz. There are some hotels off of Buckeystown Pike (route 85) such as a Courtyard and some others that might be the host. Also there is a royal farms being rebuilt at 7402 Shockley Blvd. Frederick. Since Royal Farms has a agreement with Tesla also this warrants watching.

You know this might not be going into a Sheetz. There are some hotels off of Buckeystown Pike (route 85) such as a Courtyard and some others that might be the host. Also there is a royal farms being rebuilt at 7402 Shockley Blvd. Frederick. Since Royal Farms has a agreement with Tesla also this warrants watching.

Hotels are an awful choice imho for a supercharger since most vehicles would be fully charged in ~1 hr. It makes more sense for a hotel to have a Destination charger where 6+ hrs are needed for a full charge and that works out well for a night at a hotel and for superchargers to be located where folks are making <1 hr stops.

I've enjoyed the locations that are near something that is open 24x7 such as Gas Stations / Convenience Stores / Grocery Stores (Sheetz, WaWa, Royal Farms, Meijer, Chevron, Truck Stops, etc.) and they are so much better of an option than the locations that are closed after 8 or 9 PM (Shopping Malls, Strip Malls, Restaurants, etc.).

I fully agree on the issues with hotels. We know however that some have been sites have been built at them.

Personally I think the Royal Farms is going to host as they and Wawa seem to be the go to locations for Tesla as of late.

Hotels are an awful choice imho for a supercharger since most vehicles would be fully charged in ~1 hr. It makes more sense for a hotel to have a Destination charger where 6+ hrs are needed for a full charge and that works out well for a night at a hotel and for superchargers to be located where folks are making <1 hr stops.

I've enjoyed the locations that are near something that is open 24x7 such as Gas Stations / Convenience Stores / Grocery Stores (Sheetz, WaWa, Royal Farms, Meijer, Chevron, Truck Stops, etc.) and they are so much better of an option than the locations that are closed after 8 or 9 PM (Shopping Malls, Strip Malls, Restaurants, etc.).

I fully agree on the issues with hotels. We know however that some have been sites have been built at them.

Personally I think the Royal Farms is going to host as they and Wawa seem to be the go to locations for Tesla as of late.
Hotels are the worst place, in my opinion. The Rocky Mount, NC supercharger is between two hotels, with nothing else around. Don’t like walking past the desk to try to find the potty.

The two Cleveland area superchargers opened this year are each at a Sheetz. On my recent trip from Frederick to South Bend, 3 of the 4 charging stops I made were at a Sheetz. The south Frederick Royal Farms is a possibility. I wonder whether Tesla wants to or does not want to locate directly between a Toyota and a Honda dealer?

I just ran out to Ohio and used an SC at a Hampton Inn. It was four stalls. I had to pass all the restaurants and Sheetz. Pull into the site and there are 4 SuperChargers not destination chargers. It really was odd to see them at a hotel. I would hate to ice a spot if I was staying there for the night. I would think I would check in and lug all my stuff in for the night and the car would be completely charged. I guess I would make another trip down stairs to move the car to an regular spot.

I did go into the hotel and used the bathroom. I saw the breakfast bar and started wondering?? Should I, no one is policing the thing.;) I didn't but it did make me wonder. I am a Hilton Honors member. Guess I was Honest.

I still wonder about the Sheetz up in Walkersville, it's off the beaten path but they have that large parking lot in the rear all fenced off. Someone has set up a temporary office on lot and fenced it off. I believe it is a police barracks for now.

Noticed another likely spot yesterday, the 154th anniversary of Battle of Monocacy, the battle that saved Washington from Jubal Early’s invading confederates. There is a Wawa on Urbana Pike across from the Target. Space looks big enough, and it’s close to food and shopping. Easy to get to off I-270 and I-70.

• Disagree
Reactions: Only Trons
Speaking of hotels, we had a discussion on Facebook (I need to stop doing that, the quality goes downhill quickly; if you think TMC can be back.. eek) about this topic.

The placement of the Supercharger at National Harbor, for example, is another case. Is it for guests there for a function? You can't be staying there or you'd have the same issue, charged in an hour and have to come back. People passing by on 95 need to pay for parking to use it. Useless. Another bad choice by Tesla, everyone seems to gather. (Sorry for the semi-OT, but hotels do seem to be a bad choice, especially pay to play ones!)

Could be outside of the city. A lot of areas there which you think are in the city are not. For instance the new Royal Farms on Buckeystown Pike is not in the city. I think the sheetz at the other end of Buckeystown which was also a possible location is not in the city.

I wrote to the mayor of the City of Frederick yesterday. Basically, the city knows nothing of the location of a future supercharger. No construction permit has been requested or issued at this time. I was advised to contact Tesla. o_O

Speaking of hotels, we had a discussion on Facebook (I need to stop doing that, the quality goes downhill quickly; if you think TMC can be back.. eek) about this topic.

The placement of the Supercharger at National Harbor, for example, is another case. Is it for guests there for a function? You can't be staying there or you'd have the same issue, charged in an hour and have to come back. People passing by on 95 need to pay for parking to use it. Useless. Another bad choice by Tesla, everyone seems to gather. (Sorry for the semi-OT, but hotels do seem to be a bad choice, especially pay to play ones!)
Unfortunately for National Harbor they changed the rules on Tesla - that’s why there are new ones at the Springfield Mall now - National Harbor got tired of trying to police the Superchargers as Tesla owners were coming to eat meals at the restaurants and rather than pay for the obnoxious parking rates they parked at the Superchargers (not that I did that myself...:oops:).

One of my friends who deals with the management company said that was the reason for the change...maybe it was also because they got tired of paying for the power - but reality is that is why folks host Superchargers, Tesla owners spend $$$ and they want the captured customers...bad move on their end...

Reactions: boaterva
Unfortunately for National Harbor they changed the rules on Tesla - that’s why there are new ones at the Springfield Mall now - National Harbor got tired of trying to police the Superchargers as Tesla owners were coming to eat meals at the restaurants and rather than pay for the obnoxious parking rates they parked at the Superchargers (not that I did that myself...:oops:).

One of my friends who deals with the management company said that was the reason for the change...maybe it was also because they got tired of paying for the power - but reality is that is why folks host Superchargers, Tesla owners spend $$$ and they want the captured customers...bad move on their end...
Thanks for the OT update. :D I did think there was an exemption originally but all I heard recently was complaining about having to pay. Seems like it should be charge and move or then pay.