TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Frederick, MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Nilnoc, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Right, so I check City of Frederick building permits too. I search for 'Tesla' since there does not seem to be anyway to list out all the new/open permits.

2. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

Much easier to check supercharge.info They seem to have all the skinny on every Supercharger in every status including permitting.

I did my usual trip from central VA to Frederick and back with a couple of days of local driving. I charged in Haymarket until I had about 220 miles and still didn't make it back to Haymarket without charging in Leesburg at a destination charger for over half an hour. lol I guess next time I'll get a bigger charge before I continue heading north. 250 or bust! The cold does really seem to whack the range if you do a lot of short trips. I think I only put an actual 50 miles on the car while in Frederick and it's 50 to 55 each way, so 155 miles was too far with a 220 mile charge. Wow! Most of that driving is on a 55 MPH road too!

A Supercharger in Frederick would work so much better so I could charge once instead of twice.

3. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

They have the skinny mostly because they got it from people posting it on this site first (at least for US and Canadian superchargers, I'm not sure about international sites). Occasionally some info is either posted directly to supercharge.info's forum or in other places first, but that's the exception not the rule. So, assuming the Frederick supercharger stays true to the general rule, someone will find some relevant documents about it and post it in this thread. Then supercharge.info will be updated to show the new location.

• Like x 4
  4. MXFan

MXFan Member

Correct!

5. gnuarm

I hate not being part of the process to bring Frederick into the 21st century.

6. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Building permit found for 12 Tesla supercharging stations at Francis Scott Key mall.

Permit #: 184159
    Issued: 2018-11-28
    Site Location: 5500 BUCKEYSTOWN PIKE SUITE EV
    Permit Description: INSTALL ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATION IN FSK MALL PARKING LOT.
    -----

That it is in fact a Tesla supercharger was first a deduction from the project valuation ($160,000) and then confirmed along with the # of stalls through searching ancillary info in another database [search Project Number 18710 in this database]. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info on which section of the parking lot it would be in, so people will just have to keep their eyes open for signs of construction activity. From looking at the map, I hope it's on the JCPenny side. Maybe here? But that's just a guess.

@BlueShift @Chuq

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  7. gnuarm

Fantastic!!! I really couldn't think of a better place in Frederick other than possibly the Costco, who doesn't seem to be interested in giving up even 12 parking spaces. I've never seen any sign of Costco installing any sort of EVSE.

I'm hoping the location will be more around the east side so it is close to the gas station. Someone pointed out that 24 hour bathrooms is rather important for trips. Without a 24 hour restaurant the Wawa is the only bathroom after 10 or so.
    Near Wawa

Or this is closer to the Panera which is a spot I often visit. It also has great visibility for anyone coming in that entrance from Rt 355. I think this may not be a small factor in choosing the locations. I think they want them to be as visible as possible.

So it seems to take anywhere from 2 to 4 months to actually start construction and another 2 months to complete it if my impression is accurate. Although the new Supercharger in Annapolis seems to be taking some significant extra time for construction.

This Supercharger will be a huge improvement for me. I spend time in Frederick and there really is no other place to charge without driving 25 miles.

8. gnuarm

I let supercharge.info know about this.

9. Jerry Ham

Jerry Ham Member

gnuarm, just so that you know - in the post above from mociaf9 - the "@" followed by BlueShift already let Supercharge.info know. BlueShift runs that site and information from posts here directed to him get added to the database.

• Informative x 2
  10. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

Super exciting news! Thank you mociaf9. Maybe a ribbon cutting mid 2019.

11. Reddy Kilowatt

Francis Scott Key Mall, 5500 Buckeystown Pike was just posted as the SC site in Fredrick Just off 85. This is one exit down from 270/15 interchange. Im sure 70 can hit it real quick also.

supercharge.info

On the supercharger.info site. if the link doesn't work.

12. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Yep, that info came from this thread just a few posts up :)

13. Kindog

Kindog New Member

I used the Frederick County site project search using the number 18710 and viola! Still no exact location data, but mentions installing additional lighting and some shrubs/trees as a screen. Perhaps it will go to a portion of the FSK mall lot that is darker than usual? This is like a scavenger hunt.

14. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

#54 Big Earl, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Almost all Supercharger installations get their own site lighting and landscaping. The exceptions are sites in parking garages, some well-lit surface lots and places with strict regulations that don't allow additional lighting.

My location guess: Somewhere along the Spectrum Drive perimeter of the mall parking lot. There is a nice 13-space location adjacent to BJ's Brew House and Applebee's that would fit the bill nicely.

15. Reddy Kilowatt

My Crystal Ball is foggy but it's showing the TESLA stations up from BJ's towards JCPenney. Work to be turned on in June. It can't see the number of stations yet. Oh it just went dark again.

16. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

12 Stalls. And my crystal is seeing it closer to Macy's and an easy walk to the Wawa potties. We shall see.

17. Potomac55

Potomac55 New Member

This is good news! We bought our Model S in August of 2017 and have used Superchargers a couple of times, but this will be very convenient for us since our daughter lives in Frederick. Hopefully there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony, would love to attend our first one.

18. ElectricEb

ElectricEb New Member

Hi, Frederick resident here! Excited about the potential new superchargers coming to the community, but wanted to alert fellow members that there are three Tesla chargers available at Wilcom's Inn, which is located off of Fingerboard Rd in Urbana/Monrovia. It's kind of out of the way, but if you're traveling through and want to stop for a quick meal or drink (EXCELLENT food btw) then you have some options. We just found out about it last week and it was a nice surprise, even though we'll never really need to use it since we live only a few miles from the restaurant.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  19. gnuarm

I have yet to visit the destination chargers at Wilcom's Inn. Interesting fact, this is the site of the former 75-80 drag strip. I wish it were still operating as I'd love to pit my X against a few ICE challengers.

20. gnuarm

I'm not clear what "up from BJ's towards JCPenney" means. If you are saying they will be along the spaces next to Spectrum Dr and opposite the Olive Garden/empty building I agree. In fact, I expect them next to the traffic light along Spectrum Dr. The bright red Tesla signs will get a lot of exposure there. I'm not expecting them to be any closer to the main mall building. They seem to put them some distance from the malls. I assume so people don't ICE them.