Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Freeport, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must have missed something. Where is this information from?

To clarify, my second sentence was referring to the possibility of having a single Supercharger site serving both directions. Google Maps' arrows suggest that it would be possible to use Northbound only, but Streetview suggests it would be possible to have a single site either side. But, if the site were at the Service plaza it would be behind a toll booth, which would be a hassle for owners.

I would also love to know where the J1772s are going. Wandered around a bit in my Volt with no obvious signs of construction. Was very excited to see two Model S on my visit tonight. I hope these see a lot of use.

Anybody see Level 2 charging at LL BEAN site for Non tesla? If so is it free or chargepoint EVGo etc?

I reached out to my friend, Fortunat Mueller, who owns ReVision Energy about the J1772s at Bean's. His project manager writes:
It's coming right up! We'll be starting work the week after next, on Monday, 12/4. It should take just about a week to complete -- though I'm building in a bit of contingency for continuing into the following week.

So, should be ready to start charging soon!

Sorry to have been AWOL from the boards, but been very busy lately. Hope to see more of you all now!

Its unfortunate that LLBean/Revision seem to think that L2 chargers are approrpate. L2 chargers are useful for home or a workplace, I would have been impressed if their press release said they were installing 8 CHAdeMO/Combo 40+KW fast chargers, but 6KW L2 just isn't forward looking for a retail/highway location where people may stay 1hr tops.

@dave4444 Bean's isn't being entirely altruistic installing these chargers, they're trying to get people to stay longer and spend more! In the Portland Herald piece, a stated goal was to encourage people to spend more time shopping in Freeport generally and Bean's in particular. (How to sound like a native: call the store "Bean's", not "LL Bean".) We budget half a day for our occasional runs to Freeport, between the excellent food, the huge Bean flagship and outlet stores, and a tremendous variety of other stores, it's hard to see spending less time.

And don't forget that CHAdeMO/Combo is far more expensive than J1772's. The upfront equipment cost is high, and the spike in electricity demand can add $100 or more to a month's power bill (so reports the owner of the CHAdeMO in Portland's Fore Street Garage).

@dave4444 Bean's isn't being entirely altruistic installing these chargers, they're trying to get people to stay longer and spend more! In the Portland Herald piece, a stated goal was to encourage people to spend more time shopping in Freeport generally and Bean's in particular. (How to sound like a native: call the store "Bean's", not "LL Bean".) We budget half a day for our occasional runs to Freeport, between the excellent food, the huge Bean flagship and outlet stores, and a tremendous variety of other stores, it's hard to see spending less time.

And don't forget that CHAdeMO/Combo is far more expensive than J1772's. The upfront equipment cost is high, and the spike in electricity demand can add $100 or more to a month's power bill (so reports the owner of the CHAdeMO in Portland's Fore Street Garage).

Indeed.

L2 and L3 chargers which have two different purposes and the overall effect can be summarized as:
L2: charge while you do something
L3: do something while you charge

L2 is what LL Bean management is paying for and trying out for its customers. L3 is something that I think they'd welcome as long as somebody else will pay for it.

Pic on Facebook today of ALL 8 stalls full at the Freeport SC but only one Models S. I have to charge there Sunday for a trip to and from Southern Maine. If I have to wait, they’ll have to listen to the TSO.

I wouldn’t pick FP over Augusta, especially on a weekend coming up on Christmas, but the route requires it this time.