Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Freeport, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my LL Bean dilemma. Perhaps you can help me solve it.

When we visit Freeport, we’re there for much of the day. I have two charging options. In Option 1, I can hit the Supercharger, visit LL Bean for a 30 minutes or so and then head back to the car when I receive the “charge complete” text and, to avoid idle fees, move it to an empty non-EV spot (which, this time of ear, is usually) located far from stores and restaurants. (And note the $8 to $10 Supercharger fee as well). OR, with Option, 2, when I arrive, I simply back into one of the Level 2 spots graciously provided by LL Bean, plug in and charge for free at 30 amps while I spend a nice afternoon with my wife browsing LL Bean and other shops, have lunch at one of Freeport’s great restaurants, enjoy an ice cream cone from one of the mobile carts located in town and watch the tourists go by. (I’m a Mainer and yes, I do enjoy watching people from away while they explore Freeport). With Option 2, when we’re ready to head home, we return to a car which has, by now, received a substantial charge. I can then either top off at the supercharger if necessary, or simply head for home if there are enough electrons to make the trip.

Obviously, Option 1 is the polite choice. But with Option 2, I can’t think of a better way to spend a fine Maine summer day AND charge my Model 3 for free, plus I avoid a long walk to and from a remote parking lot which can be hard on my seventy year old knees and hips. However, I feel a little guilty not using the supercharger. Even worse, many of the Level 2 spots are often ICEd, so if I charge there, I may be denying a Bolt, Volt, Leaf or other EV a charging opportunity if I and ICE drivers fill up the spots. (Note that I have never heard of the eight Level 2 slots being filled by EVs only—they are ICEd).

So that’s my dilemma. Which option would you, as a contentious Tesla driver, choose—Option 1 or Option 2?

A quick guide to intended use cases.
Destination charging: you charge while you're doing something. No significant extra time.
Travel charging: you do something while you're charging. Significant extra time.

In the scenario you describe, you're visiting Freeport (doing something), so you really want to use a destination charger. So option 2 is a no-brainer. Don't feel guilty, you're using it as intended.

But, given limited infrastructure,if you want to be altruistic, Supercharge, as long as the Supercharger isn't busy.

Last edited:
I always use option 1. When it's done charging, I tell my familiar just keep walking and go to other store. I go drive my car and park close to where they are or where they might be going.

By the way, the destination charging lodging are all very expensive near Freeport. I rather stay in cheaper hotel and charge at the supercharger.

Reactions: jlv1

When we visit Freeport, we’re there for much of the day. I have two charging options. In Option 1, I can hit the Supercharger, visit LL Bean for a 30 minutes or so and then head back to the car when I receive the “charge complete” text and, to avoid idle fees, move it to an empty non-EV spot (which, this time of year, is usually) located far from stores and restaurants. (And note the $8 to $10 Supercharger fee as well). OR, with Option, 2, when I arrive, I simply back into one of the Level 2 spots graciously provided by LL Bean, plug in and charge for free at 30 amps while I spend a nice afternoon with my wife browsing LL Bean and other shops, have lunch at one of Freeport’s great restaurants, enjoy an ice cream cone from one of the mobile carts located in town and watch the tourists go by. (I’m a Mainer and yes, I do enjoy watching people from away while they explore Freeport). With Option 2, when we’re ready to head home, we return to a car which has, by now, received a substantial charge. I can then either top off at the supercharger if necessary, or simply head for home if there are enough electrons to make the trip.

Obviously, Option 1 is the polite choice. But with Option 2, I can’t think of a better way to spend a fine Maine summer day AND charge my Model 3 for free, plus I avoid a long walk to and from a remote parking lot which can be hard on my seventy year old knees and hips. However, I feel a little guilty not using the supercharger. Even worse, many of the Level 2 spots are often ICEd, so if I charge there, I may be denying a Bolt, Volt, Leaf or other EV a charging opportunity if I and ICE drivers fill up the spots. (Note that I have never heard of the eight Level 2 slots being filled by EVs only—they are ICEd).

So that’s my dilemma. Which option would you, as a contentious Tesla driver, choose—Option 1 or Option 2?
Option 1 if available. It's really the only appropriate response for all the reasons you listed. Hopefully someday there will be sufficient charging infrastructure to make this problem go away.

Use the slow charger. You can Check-in on Plugshare with a note that you are willing to be flexible and can be contacted through the app, or a note on the windshield.
Probably a reasonable choice - not sure how many EV owners use PlugShare (they should - it's a great resource). Some people may not like leaving their contact info out on the windshield.

When we visit Freeport, we’re there for much of the day. I have two charging options. In Option 1, I can hit the Supercharger, visit LL Bean for a 30 minutes or so and then head back to the car when I receive the “charge complete” text and, to avoid idle fees, move it to an empty non-EV spot (which, this time of year, is usually) located far from stores and restaurants. (And note the $8 to $10 Supercharger fee as well). OR, with Option, 2, when I arrive, I simply back into one of the Level 2 spots graciously provided by LL Bean, plug in and charge for free at 30 amps while I spend a nice afternoon with my wife browsing LL Bean and other shops, have lunch at one of Freeport’s great restaurants, enjoy an ice cream cone from one of the mobile carts located in town and watch the tourists go by. (I’m a Mainer and yes, I do enjoy watching people from away while they explore Freeport). With Option 2, when we’re ready to head home, we return to a car which has, by now, received a substantial charge. I can then either top off at the supercharger if necessary, or simply head for home if there are enough electrons to make the trip.

If you're worried about being polite, simply label your charge port with your phone number or an Evannex charging tag. That way if someone truly needs the charge they can just text you and you can happily give them your space.

Reactions: jlv1
The Freeport SC is hopping today. Peak fall leaves, great weather, nearly full SC stalls, an influencer doing a video (EVNomad) and another Tesla and some other EVs using the PlugShare stalls too.

E1357569-8449-4A35-A165-57F8511C08A7.jpeg