TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Gaithersburg, MD

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by LS.., Aug 17, 2017.

1. swegman

swegman Active Member

Stopped by this morning. Crew was working with a mini bobcat. Looked like they were filling in the trench. Didn't stay long because the workers waved me away (I was in my car). It's a tight area. Not much space between where the superchargers will be located and the next "row" of parking for ICE cars.

2. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Here are some pictures from today, looks like it's progressing fairly quickly so far. The location is starting to grow on me, if you come in off 270/370, you can enter to the chargers without dealing with any of RIO's traffic, and the exit will be just about as easy.

IMG_4172.JPG IMG_4170.JPG
    Peter

• Like x 2
  3. MacGreiner

Looks to me like they will be all pull ins. Need to look at the plans again.
    IMG_2133.jpg

• Like x 1
  4. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

That's to discourage ICEing, makes it a royal pain to park, akin to Laurel.

• Like x 1
  5. MacGreiner

Those wiring/ducting channels look ultra deep to me?

6. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Another update,

Looks like continued good progress on site, especially considering the tight working environment. Here is a pic today, trenches done, concrete forms for the posts are almost done. -- Peter
    IMG_4183.JPG

• Like x 4
  7. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Was just there and noticed that there was no Tesla equipment on site. Thought maybe they were storing it nearby because the site was so small but a couple workers confirmed that they were still waiting for it.

8. Francop

Francop Member

It seems that they have some equipment, the base plate for the chargers are showing in the last photo.

9. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Good eye. I wish I had noticed that at the time. "Oh yeah, then what are those?" ;)

Edit: Technically, I only asked about the charger and switching cabinets, not the stalls, so maybe they were answering my question literally. ;)

10. MacGreiner

Pedestal bases poured and channeling filled

IMG_2144.jpg IMG_2145.jpg

• Like x 3
  11. MacGreiner

Pedestals on site

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      398.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      313 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      455.3 KB
      Views:
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  12. Syd

Syd Member

Umm, those are the supercharger cabinets (notice the top heavy), not the car connections. They placed them there for convenience but once unpacked they will move to the pads with the electrical boxes.

13. MacGreiner

Yup - Supercharger printed on the top of the casing

14. Leptoquark

Leptoquark Member

2017-09-23_17-19-30.jpg Utility slab is yet to be poured. Six crated Superchargers are on site. I also agree that this might not have been the best site. I would have picked either behind Barnes and Noble, or between Target and B&N. Also, there is an entire rarely used covered parking level on the other side of Kohls. Expect lots of ICE'ing, especially in the early days, and this years Christmas shopping season.

Helpful hint: Take the immediate right when entering off of Washingtonian to stay on the ground level. It's really easy to miss.

IMG_5614.JPG IMG_5616.JPG IMG_5613.JPG

15. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

As I have said before, this location has grown on me. I'm sure that there will be some ICEing issues, there always are. But, the pull in spots with the charging posts with make it a real pain to park in them, and help make it much more noticeable that it's not a normal spot.
    The exact location that Tesla chose yields the easiest off-ramp to charger path for travelers (along with the charger to the on-ramp path) of almost the entire RIO complex, and will keep them out of the RIO traffic as much as possible. Below is the off-ramp to charger (Blue) and charger to on-ramp (Green). Note, about taking the second exit from the circle, this is Maryland so while you have the right of way, about every 10th driver doesn't remember that, or even look, so be ready with the horn and the brake when other traffic is coming into the circle as you roundabout. -- Peter Gaitherburg Path.JPG

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  16. Leptoquark

Leptoquark Member

True, I do think the pull-in spaces are a psychological ICE barrier, together with the color scheme and signage, so here's hoping it will be an issue that decreases with time.;)

• Funny x 1
  17. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Or the person in front you in the circle will stop unexpectedly to let the other traffic entering the circle go first. :mad:

• Like x 1
  18. Azhagan

Azhagan Member

Drove by there yesterday afternoon, all the charging pedestals were installed and more work was being done to fill everything in.

• Informative x 2
  19. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Here's a pic of the pedestals. They were working on the rebar for the charger/switch cabinet pad.

upload_2017-9-27_12-28-7.png

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
  20. MacGreiner

Happens ALL THE TIME!