Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gaithersburg, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by this morning. Crew was working with a mini bobcat. Looked like they were filling in the trench. Didn't stay long because the workers waved me away (I was in my car). It's a tight area. Not much space between where the superchargers will be located and the next "row" of parking for ICE cars.

Here are some pictures from today, looks like it's progressing fairly quickly so far. The location is starting to grow on me, if you come in off 270/370, you can enter to the chargers without dealing with any of RIO's traffic, and the exit will be just about as easy.

IMG_4172.JPG IMG_4170.JPG
Peter

Reactions: Thinkje and vdiv
2017-09-23_17-19-30.jpg
Utility slab is yet to be poured. Six crated Superchargers are on site. I also agree that this might not have been the best site. I would have picked either behind Barnes and Noble, or between Target and B&N. Also, there is an entire rarely used covered parking level on the other side of Kohls. Expect lots of ICE'ing, especially in the early days, and this years Christmas shopping season.

Helpful hint: Take the immediate right when entering off of Washingtonian to stay on the ground level. It's really easy to miss.

IMG_5614.JPG
IMG_5616.JPG
IMG_5613.JPG

As I have said before, this location has grown on me. I'm sure that there will be some ICEing issues, there always are. But, the pull in spots with the charging posts with make it a real pain to park in them, and help make it much more noticeable that it's not a normal spot.
The exact location that Tesla chose yields the easiest off-ramp to charger path for travelers (along with the charger to the on-ramp path) of almost the entire RIO complex, and will keep them out of the RIO traffic as much as possible. Below is the off-ramp to charger (Blue) and charger to on-ramp (Green). Note, about taking the second exit from the circle, this is Maryland so while you have the right of way, about every 10th driver doesn't remember that, or even look, so be ready with the horn and the brake when other traffic is coming into the circle as you roundabout. -- Peter
Gaitherburg Path.JPG

As I have said before, this location has grown on me. I'm sure that there will be some ICEing issues, there always are. But, the pull in spots with the charging posts with make it a real pain to park in them, and help make it much more noticeable that it's not a normal spot.
The exact location that Tesla chose yields the easiest off-ramp to charger path for travelers (along with the charger to the on-ramp path) of almost the entire RIO complex, and will keep them out of the RIO traffic as much as possible. Below is the off-ramp to charger (Blue) and charger to on-ramp (Green). Note, about taking the second exit from the circle, this is Maryland so while you have the right of way, about every 10th driver doesn't remember that, or even look, so be ready with the horn and the brake when other traffic is coming into the circle as you roundabout. -- Peter View attachment 249560

True, I do think the pull-in spaces are a psychological ICE barrier, together with the color scheme and signage, so here's hoping it will be an issue that decreases with time.;)

• Funny
Reactions: DFibRL8R
Note, about taking the second exit from the circle, this is Maryland so while you have the right of way, about every 10th driver doesn't remember that, or even look, so be ready with the horn and the brake when other traffic is coming into the circle as you roundabout.
Or the person in front you in the circle will stop unexpectedly to let the other traffic entering the circle go first. :mad:

Reactions: boaterva