Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Grasonville, MD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG
I'm not local, but I'll be driving past the area this weekend if my plans don't change, so I'll try to stop in and see where they are.

All the stalls and cables are in, so are the cabinets, with wires hanging out of the back.

I ran into a couple of the electricians working the site as I was taking pictures (they weren't doing anything today,) and I was told that the main distribution panel would be arriving Monday and they didn't know when the site would be active.

They sounded eager about the project, and knew the 3 was coming out.

I predict Grasonville will open before Aberdeen or North East. The same contractor is building all 3. They are based out of Stevensville, which is 5 miles from Grasonville. This is just a prediction, no inside knowledge, even though Grasonville was the last to get construction started. When I went by on Monday there was 8 people working. Just seems to be progressing with no delays. They already had Delmarva power come out before construction started to upgrade the utilities.

there are six charger cabinets in that picture and 1 High Voltage Distribution cabinet built out of three rack sections. The pipes in the front look like for a pad for a transformer. I suspect that the specific transformer for this SC will go on that pad, as a large transformer is needed for a 12 stall (6 charger) setup.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
there are six charger cabinets in that picture and 1 High Voltage Distribution cabinet built out of three rack sections. The pipes in the front look like for a pad for a transformer. I suspect that the specific transformer for this SC will go on that pad, as a large transformer is needed for a 12 stall (6 charger) setup.

Makes sense. As you can see if you go up a few posts, that distribution cabinet wasn't there on Friday...

Grasonville, MD

Interstates: None
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-50, US-301

North East, MD (US-301,MD-313,MD-213,US-40,MD-272,I-95): 69.8 miles
Newark, DE (US-301,DE-896,I-95): 64.9 miles
Salisbury, MD (US-50,US-13): 70.0 miles
National Harbor, MD (US-50,I-95): 55.5 miles
Laurel, MD (US-50,I-97,MD-32,MD-198): 42.8 miles
Harrisburg, PA (US-50,I-97,I-695,I-83): 132 miles
Aberdeen, MD (US-50,I-97,I-895A,I-895B,I-895,I-95): 70.5 miles

I find this location to be interesting, since Royal Farms appears to have a number of pay-for-charge stations cropping up. I assume they were making a profit on them, and since they are a "fuel" station, it does fit in with their corporate mission. I guess they will make money leasing the space to Tesla. And by the way, if you haven't tried it, Royal Farms fried chicken (and chicken tenders) are great. Their Western Fries are also cooked in the same fryers as the chicken, and are great too!

I find this location to be interesting, since Royal Farms appears to have a number of pay-for-charge stations cropping up. I assume they were making a profit on them, and since they are a "fuel" station, it does fit in with their corporate mission. I guess they will make money leasing the space to Tesla. And by the way, if you haven't tried it, Royal Farms fried chicken (and chicken tenders) are great. Their Western Fries are also cooked in the same fryers as the chicken, and are great too!

From what I've been told, most gas stations barely break even on gas - they make most of their money on the convenience store part of the operation. EVs should make great customers - with twenty or thirty minutes to kill, most of them will be in to poke around and be sold something, especially food or snacks.

I stopped by Grasonville last night around 5:00pm. Everything looked done and there were about 10 delmarva power workers there getting some sort of tour of the supercharger. I did ask if it was done. They said it was completely done but not open to the public yet. I asked if they wanted me to test it for them (lol). They just laughed at me and went back to their briefing. We drove back by at around midnight. The fence was still up. But I would say any day now.