Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenwich CT - Merritt Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is simply reality at these locations. Parking is extremely limited. The good news is that most people stop for a quick bathroom break or to grab a snack. It's not really a place to stop for an hour ... unless you need a full charge.
With the new Superchargers in Edison, Paramus, W. Hartford and Auburn, the need to get a long charge here should be greatly reduced. Good thing, too; it's a miserable place to spend even 30 minutes.

I drove through there this past weekend on the Northbound side at around 4PM and the lot was pretty much filled to capacity. There were trucks idling with people in them blocking other spots, and two of the four Tesla spots were ICEd. But the signage is now confusing but correct. 15 minutes parking for no charging, and 45 minutes parking if charging.

But the two people parking in the charging spots had to park there because there were no other spots available.

A lot has changed in the three years since this thread was active, and a lot has stayed the same.

Same: The Greenwich rest areas are crowded, and south is worse than north. There will always be problems with ICEing. Signs permit 15 minute parking when not charging.
New: Lots more supercharging options!! Tarrytown has 12 stalls and is well-located for anyone crossing the TZB. Edison to the south, and West Hartford to the north, 14-stall supercharger in Milford... All make stopping in Greenwich much less important, certainly no reason for a long charging stop.

• Informative
Reactions: Pollux
A
New: Lots more supercharging options!! Tarrytown has 12 stalls and is well-located for anyone crossing the TZB. Edison to the south, and West Hartford to the north, 14-stall supercharger in Milford... All make stopping in Greenwich much less important, certainly no reason for a long charging stop.

And if you consider the "Coming Soon" which includes North Stamford, I suspect Greenwich rest areas will become much less utilized and necessary.

And if you consider the "Coming Soon" which includes North Stamford, I suspect Greenwich rest areas will become much less utilized and necessary.

Will the Stamford SC's be on 95?
The beauty about Greenwich means I can avoid 95.
I did try to make it from my house to Tarrytown in February but it was too cold and windy to make it in one hop.

Google identifies North Stamford as the following.

upload_2017-6-7_7-15-57.png

If I were Tesla I'd defintely put it off of exit 35 near all these locations:

upload_2017-6-7_7-18-27.png

However, technically only North of the merrit is considered North Stamford so these locations are in just regular Stamford so it makes me wonder...

I'll also point out the parking lot for these locations at exit 35 is a nightmare, as is the traffic on High Ridge off the exit

I used to work in this building right there at High Ridge Park:

upload_2017-6-7_8-1-17.png

I'd love to see a supercharger there (just because it would be a cool spot, no other reason), but it's an office park, so it would be totally ICEd all day long. It's a very short walk to Cosi, etc.

Because all those shops along High Ridge are so busy, I suspect they'll go just slightly north of the Merritt. Long Ridge Road has a bit of a commercial district north of the Merritt which isn't so busy.

I've been meaning to go up there and nose around to see if I can find any clues.

Reactions: SureValla
Will the Stamford SC's be on 95?
The beauty about Greenwich means I can avoid 95.
I did try to make it from my house to Tarrytown in February but it was too cold and windy to make it in one hop.

Hi Ed,
I also prefer to avoid I-95. I usually go to Milford (now either the Service Area or the nearby mall with 14 chargers) then take the little connector road a few miles west on 95 to get to the Wilbur Cross / Merritt. On the way back sometimes I take the Merritt to Rte 8 North to I-84 East and charge at West Hartford. Greenwich is not only likely to be ICEd (I had to ask someone to move to free a space recently), there's also minimal food choices.

Yesterday the Greenwich/Merritt Supercharger Northbound was charging 1 mile/minute at at least 2 of the 4 chargers. Luckily I had enough charge to get home but someone on a trip was out of luck. The car next to me switched charges twice. Anyone else with this problem? Who do we report this to?

Yesterday the Greenwich/Merritt Supercharger Northbound was charging 1 mile/minute at at least 2 of the 4 chargers. Luckily I had enough charge to get home but someone on a trip was out of luck. The car next to me switched charges twice. Anyone else with this problem? Who do we report this to?

Call Tesla Motors and report it. <thumb><beep>"Call Tesla Motors"<thumb>

This is showing up in the car's navigation as "reduced service." Does anyone know what's going on?

I saw that last weekend (southbound side only). Has it changed to northbound?
I didn't need to charge while going SB (Friday) but did NB (Sunday) with no problem,
except and X that plugged in to 1B (I was in 1A and everything else was available).

The signage allows 15-minute icing, which was probably the best deal they could get considering how tight parking is there. Generally Tarrytown is a better option, which works great going south, as you can stop at Greenwich, but move on if they're ICEd. But the last time I stopped at Greenwich, it wasn't ICEd, but the charger kept stopping. I tried two chargers, and both had the same behavior. I had no problems at other stops before or after.

The place yesterday had a line of 20 cars out from the entry to the pit stop. I was like, screw this. :)

The signage allows 15-minute icing, which was probably the best deal they could get considering how tight parking is there. Generally Tarrytown is a better option, which works great going south, as you can stop at Greenwich, but move on if they're ICEd. But the last time I stopped at Greenwich, it wasn't ICEd, but the charger kept stopping. I tried two chargers, and both had the same behavior. I had no problems at other stops before or after.