Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Greenwich CT - Merritt Parkway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Greenwich supercharger spots are the furthest spots from the building. If they are ICEd it is because they are the only spots available. Seems silly to have 4 empty (usually) spots when the lot is full.

Turnover in that parking lot is very fast - not much there to do. About 15 minutes seems to be the average, so with 4 SC spots ICEd it seems unlikely you would have to wait more than 5 or 10 minutes. I have seen people park there and leave a driver in the car as well.

Has anyone been to Greenwich and been ICEd out of a spot? How long until you were able to charge? I have been to the Greenwich chargers a few times and seen ICEd spots, but always pulled right in.

This was an ICE trip, Jet-A to Boston, Gasoline to NYC, then Jet-A back to Colorado.

Stopped in at the Greenwich Southbound Supercharger on the way into the city last Friday Afternoon. There were not any spaces available, ICE, Supercharger Stall, or handicapped. In this location, it is probably worth giving the ICE drivers some slack. It's really busy and the turn over is fast. In the 10 minutes that I was there, one ICE driver left, and a second was getting into his car, in the Supercharger Stalls. The wait is probably worse at Barstow or Hawthorne at busy times.

Here are some pics. First, the parking situation:
Greenwich-1.JPG

The ID plate off of one of the Supercharger Cabinets. They are 120 kW capable, but will only do that if connected to 480 Volt service. If fed by 208 Volt service, it will only be 90 kW:
Greenwich-2.JPG

The parking signs at Greenwich:
Greenwich-3.JPG

The spots in Greenwich turn over fast, so even if fully ICEd should not take more than 10 minutes to get in - and often there are people in the cars.

Some of the pressure will be alleviated in about 10 months when the New Canaan rest area (15 miles away) that is under construction is completed. Would be nice if they put superchargers there too - in 10 months when they open there will be double the MS out there, and MX coming....

There's a bunch of space behind the gas station building. I feel that's where the EV chargers should've been located--out of the way of the public spots. Might be too close to the gas tanks however.

Just got back from a trip to upstate New York (HOF Induction) so i used both the north and southbound Merritt Pkwy superchargers. On both occasions, all of the spaces were fully ICE'd. As one opened up, I used it, and then, at a passers-by's suggestion, i started telling people who were trying to park in the supercharger spots, that cops were giving out tickets and that they were just circling around. That helped (and it made me feel much better)

Just got back from a trip to upstate New York (HOF Induction) so i used both the north and southbound Merritt Pkwy superchargers. On both occasions, all of the spaces were fully ICE'd. As one opened up, I used it, and then, at a passers-by's suggestion, i started telling people who were trying to park in the supercharger spots, that cops were giving out tickets and that they were just circling around. That helped (and it made me feel much better)
Wow, there were cops there?

According to the CT EV Infrastructure Project Manager, the Southbound Greenwich Supercharger location has limited parking and announced via press release that non-ev vehicles are permitted to park in the charging spaces for a maximum of 15 minutes. EV charging time is limited too but I don't recall the time limit.

Doesn't surprise me. I think they need better signage, however, if this is the case. Neither rest stop is much of a stopping point. At least at Darien I can go for a run around the rest stop while I charge. The Merrit chargers leave a lot to be desired as far as things to do at the rest area. There isn't even WiFi.
According to the CT EV Infrastructure Project Manager, the Southbound Greenwich Supercharger location has limited parking and announced via press release that non-ev vehicles are permitted to park in the charging spaces for a maximum of 15 minutes. EV charging time is limited too but I don't recall the time limit.

I was at Greenwich northbound this evening and there were two guys and a truck at the chargers. I enquired what they were up to and they said they were moving/improving the signage so its at a better height - to hopefully ward off the ICEers. They said they already did southbound side and the spots were constantly ICEd while they were working there.

Now if they could move the signage at Milford/Darien too - those signs are up in the sky.

The signage has been changed at Greenwich both NB and SB. ICE are now permitted to park at the Tesla and CHAdeMO spots.

EV charging spots: 15 minute general parking; 45 minutes for EV charging
Other spots: 1 hour general parking
Gas pumps: No posted time limit :)

This is simply reality at these locations. Parking is extremely limited. The good news is that most people stop for a quick bathroom break or to grab a snack. It's not really a place to stop for an hour ... unless you need a full charge.