Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Haymarket, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Destination chargers can be even more convenient than Superchargers/DCFC sometimes. Say driving to your destination would use 85% of your EV range. If there is destination charging, you wouldn't even need to bother to stop along the way at a fast charging station, and could simply park and plug in at your destination, with a 100% charge awaiting you the next morning. Literally 0 time lost due to charging, while if there was no destination charging, even a stop at a V3 Supercharger would result in increased travel time.

If you are talking hotels, then yes, destination charging is great! The first trip I took in my car I went to New Orleans and Houston. On the way back I stopped at a hotel near a Supercharger knowing I would need a full charge the next morning. As I checked out I told the desk how much I liked the place and suggested they could provide destination chargers to make the place even better. She said they HAD chargers out back. I even talked to the clerk when checking in how I liked the car and no one said anything about the L2 charger out back. lol !

I haven't been there on Fridays, but I would seriously doubt there is a line. Memorial day around 6 or 7 it reached the point of only having 2 empty stalls. Otherwise I've never seen it more than half full that I can recall. It may get busier with time. Model 3s are still selling pretty well. Last year the number of Teslas on the road nearly doubled. This year they should increase by 50%.

They aren't building 50% more Superchargers. I fully expect this to become a problem for sales in 2020. When they do things like the 80% charging limit default, it doesn't slip by the public.

• Helpful
Reactions: jesla
Way late to answer but I go by this charger nearly every day, often several times. I've never seen a line although I have seen it down to only one or two stalls empty. No bets on a year from now as there seem to be more and more teslas around here every day, and this one is very conveniently placed for folks passing through. This load will probably be relieved when the get round to opening the SC in Leesburg.

I had stopped in Haymarket this past Monday in the big storm that passed through. About the time it was ending the power went out completely. No charging, no gas, but the cash registers seemed to still be running. lol They were closing down the place and shooing out everyone. Good thing I was in my truck and was only stopping for a bathroom break and to pull over in the downpour. If I had been in the Tesla I would have been SOL until the power came back on. I was headed south with no chargers anywhere more along the way. Looks like I could have detoured over to Dale City to charge using 10 kWh, but adding 40 minutes to the drive.

We are still a long way from having the convenience of an ICE with any EV as yet. I find it funny that the stock took a hit yesterday on news of the new Porsche Taycan which will be a terrible trip car, only usable within 150 miles of home really. There may be chargers out there, but the majority of them are 50 kW nearly level 2 slugs. Selling cars like this will give EVs a bad name.

Next Supercharger along the Rt 29 corridor needed will be Culpeper completing the Rt 29 corridor... not that I expect this to be a priority. I'm just happy they are building the chargers currently underway.

I find it funny that the stock took a hit yesterday on news of the new Porsche Taycan which will be a terrible trip car, only usable within 150 miles of home really. There may be chargers out there, but the majority of them are 50 kW nearly level 2 slugs. Selling cars like this will give EVs a bad name.

Next Supercharger along the Rt 29 corridor needed will be Culpeper completing the Rt 29 corridor... not that I expect this to be a priority. I'm just happy they are building the chargers currently underway.

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Check out the attached screenshot of Electrify America's map of DC charging. The few locations I clicked had rates between 75-350 kW. There's the issue of quality but I was surprised by the coverage so far.

Locate a charger | Electrify America

Screenshot from 2019-09-05 12-56-21.png

Reactions: vdiv

The Supercharger going in at the Sheetz in Madison is only about 17 miles from Culpeper and only about 53 miles from the Haymarket Supercharger. Now Danville, however, needs a SC ASAP imo.

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Check out the attached screenshot of Electrify America's map of DC charging. The few locations I clicked had rates between 75-350 kW. There's the issue of quality but I was surprised by the coverage so far.

Locate a charger | Electrify America

View attachment 450797

You may find the coverage for CCS to be "surprising", but that is not the same as "good". Compare even just visually to the Tesla map. I see nothing in WV and only a few in the southern end of MS and Alabama. I drove from near Knoxville to New Orleans and on to Houston once. I don't think I could do that on the EA map without going far out of my way.

The route I typically run weekly passes two Tesla chargers, one super and one urban. A new supercharger is being built near my destination. The same route has exactly NONE of the faster CCS chargers with two chargers along the way that are just 50 kW. At least I assume they are 50 kW. Plugshare doesn't actually say what they are.

That's another factor in driving any other EV, the lack of integrated support for finding, using and paying for charging. In my Tesla I wanted to use a 1776 charger at a hotel. They had an 800 number and the charger was supposed to be free to use. But because I didn't have a card for that brand and the 800 number couldn't turn it on remotely due to the arrangement with the hotel, I couldn't charge.

Tesla has it's faults, but they understood very early on the need to provide an integrated charging solution. This will be a key factor for at least five more years. Would you buy a car that used a special fuel you can only have delivered to your home or obtain at special facilities run by many different companies with different rules for payment and located in who knows where? Neither will the rest of the public.

Last edited:
Yup, the sheetz on RT 29 near the airport. The construction is at a standstill waiting on the pedestals like many others new sites.

There seems to be something odd about that. I can see that a few schedules might be disrupted at some point, but the choke point for new charging facilities seems to be such a simple component as the "pedestal", which is really just the connector, the "hose" if you will, with no electronics. Why would you start construction of so many installations when you know the pedestals won't be available?

Was there some unexpected issue with pedestal production? I recall some 15 years ago when a catastrophe, flooding in Thailand I believe, brought world wide hard drive production nearly to a halt. As a result it was hard to make PCs for some months. Or has the rate of installations scaled up abruptly, for once matching the forecast announced at the beginning of the year?