Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hendersonville, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Progress!! A crew are there today (3/28). They backed their truck up and were either loading or unloading stuff. At least someone is paying attention to the site.
PXL_20230328_171825275.MP.jpg

Was just by there today and, sure enough, absolutely no progress. Wonder what's going on?
The Tennessean reported the following a few week ago…

• Tesla charging station approved last year in Merchant Pointe shopping center.
  • Representatives asked to seek another parking space to create added room for transformer.
A future Tesla electric vehicle charging station approved in Hendersonville is on hold after Nashville Electric Service rejected the location to place a transformer and the city expressed concerns about the alternative placement.

1685583725034.jpeg

Tesla’s future charging station was approved last year with plans to utilize eight parking spaces for seven charge posts in the shopping center owned by Merchant Pointe Inc., in front of Aldi’s. One stall is ADA accessible which requires the additional parking space for access.

However, the site plan includes a 5-by-5-by-5 foot cube transformer in a location that NES determined did not provide adequate room from existing underground utilities. The transformer supplies power to the charging stations, Hendersonville Assistant Planning Director Timothy Whitten said.

The location for the transformer was moved to a landscaped area next to a cutout for vehicles to travel to and from at the edge of the parking lot and an access road within the shopping center grounds.

But staff and planning commissioners both raised concerns about the transformer’s proposed new location as a potential safety hazard blocking visibility. The aesthetics of placing the transformer along the access road and cutout were also raised.

Planning Commissioner Barry Hardwick suggested Tesla go back to the landowner about utilizing an additional parking stall to help service the transformer. Tesla representatives told planning commissioners that they previously discussed an extra parking space in order to provide an eighth charging post, but were turned down.

“I’m assuming they want this as an amenity for their tenants and their customers,” Hardwick said about the shopping center to Tesla representatives. “But they are getting ready to lose it. And I think you need to have that conversation with them."

The planning commission approved Tesla to work with city planning staff on relocating the transformer assuming an additional parking stall is gained through the shopping center.

The issue is with the location of the transformer. The city is saying that the original location didnt have enough space for underground utilities. Tesla proposed to change the location to the landscaped area. The city is saying that because it blocks some view of the incoming traffic it is not safe. The also raised concerned about the aesthetics. The city wants Tesla to request the landlord for an additional parking spot to place the transformer. The city seems to start playing hard ball. They are threatening to cancel the permit. Politics and good business sometimes don't play well together while customers are waiting for solutions. It has been over a year delay in the project.

Finally more progress. Equipment and additional fencing has been placed in the next parking row. Presumably the transformer is going to be on the end of the adjacent parking row which will mean trenching across to the stalls and equipment already in place. The conduits look pretty beefy and lots of conduit. There is additional fencing staged ready to be placed, presumably will be used when trenching begins,

Maybe it'll be finished this year ;-)

PXL_20230802_145543983.jpg
PXL_20230802_145602960.jpg
PXL_20230802_145646299.jpg
PXL_20230802_145651918.jpg
PXL_20230802_145655762.jpg

Anyone know if there's been any progress in the last month? I'm likely going to be in Hendersonville area over the Thanksgiving weekend and this location would be really convenient versus probably needing to run over to Dickerson Pike location.

Thanks!

Anyone know if there's been any progress in the last month? I'm likely going to be in Hendersonville area over the Thanksgiving weekend and this location would be really convenient versus probably needing to run over to Dickerson Pike location.

Thanks!
Sorry. There's not a snowball's chance in hell of it being open by Thanksgiving. Absolutely no progress. The weeds have stopped growing, only because it's colder.

I wish Tesla would abandon this site and put it in the Bojangles parking lot. Their parking lot is a decent size and is half empty most of the time. Access to 386 is much easier. Better food choices in that zone.

This is an embarrassment for anyone in Henderson professionally involved with permitting, engineering or construction of this Supercharger site. I understand that mistakes happen but the physical mistake of the transformer placement which is crucial should have been resolved quickly.

I just hope all those of you that live in the area are safe and escaped any damage from the storms in the area yesterday. Saw the photos of a overturned semi, cars under piles of rubble, etc., due to high winds / possible tornado that came through Hendersonville early evening.
Maybe this work site was hit and can be written off with an insurance settlement.

• Funny
Reactions: ChrisC
This is an embarrassment for anyone in Henderson professionally involved with permitting, engineering or construction of this Supercharger site. I understand that mistakes happen but the physical mistake of the transformer placement which is crucial should have been resolved quickly.
There are multiple parties involved and if those parties can't all agree on a solution for one reason or another then the process will stall.

Reactions: ShawEV and ChrisC
Following up on my post from three days ago… the fenced off area has doubled and there is a ton of excavating and trenching going on. I think it’s safe to say the impasse has been resolved.

I know the permitting phase can take a long time but I wonder if this build is a record for longest construction from the date they broke ground to the date of operation. Either way I’m glad to see progress!