Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kalispell, MT (under construction Apr 2024, 12 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kalispell, MT

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Town Pump
Along Primary Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-2W, US-93
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-2W

To: Minot, ND (v2) - 686.6 miles (Permit)
Diversion: 4.9 miles
To: Grand Forks, ND - 897.7 miles

US-93

To: End (Canada at Eureka, MT) - 71.6 miles
Diversion: 0.1 miles

Splitter! on US-2W and US-93.

One of the Superchargers found as part of a deal with Town Pump.

The Town Pump deal is now public! I referenced it on February 23, without naming names.
Let me add some color: there is some reason to think that these may be V4 units. There are a lot of Cybertruck reservations in MT (per capita), with the most of them in Flathead County. In point of fact, according to Atlas EV hub, there are more registered Teslas in Flathead County than any other county in MT. Considering the the county leans conservative, this is interesting. At one time there were more Teslas in the county than all the other counties in MT combined.

Last edited:
Considering the the county leans conservative, this is interesting.
i don't know that it is especially interesting in Montana. the state, as a whole, leans conservative. your democrat strongholds are Missoula (college town), Bozeman (college town), Butte (union town), and reservations. Butte and the reservations are not very well off financially, and the college kids are unlikely to be pulling teslas. On the other hand, Whitefish and the greater Kalispell area are likely to have well off retirees.

Flathead is the 3rd biggest county and has a relatively wealthy population. Gallatin (Bozeman) and Yellowstone (Billings) are bigger, but I think Bozeman has a lot of students stopping that. I am surprised there are not more in Yellowstone.

There are a lot of Cybertruck reservations in MT (per capita),
this, however, I think is indicative of long distances in Montana (gas price) combined with the actual need for a work truck.

The Town Pump deal is now public! I referenced it on February 23, without naming names.
Let me add some color: there is some reason to think that these may be V4 units. There are a lot of Cybertruck reservations in MT (per capita), with the most of them in Flathead County. In point of fact, according to Atlas EV hub, there are more registered Teslas in Flathead County than any other county in MT. Considering the the county leans conservative, this is interesting. At one time there were more Teslas in the county than all the other counties in MT combined.
I’d bet there are more reservations for CT elsewhere in the country so what makes you think MT is gonna get V4? There is currently only 1 V4 site on the planet. The likelihood of one of the first in the US being in MT is silly talk. They have included V4 post drawings for months and we have yet to see a U.S. V4 site. Seeing as how the majority of the first Magic Dock sites are in NY with 2 in CA, I predict V4 will follow this. NY because it’s close to where V4 is made and CA because that’s Teslas home turf and factory. Maybe even put them in at the factory.

i don't know that it is especially interesting in Montana. the state, as a whole, leans conservative. your democrat strongholds are Missoula (college town), Bozeman (college town), Butte (union town), and reservations. Butte and the reservations are not very well off financially, and the college kids are unlikely to be pulling teslas. On the other hand, Whitefish and the greater Kalispell area are likely to have well off retirees.

Flathead is the 3rd biggest county and has a relatively wealthy population. Gallatin (Bozeman) and Yellowstone (Billings) are bigger, but I think Bozeman has a lot of students stopping that. I am surprised there are not more in Yellowstone.

this, however, I think is indicative of long distances in Montana (gas price) combined with the actual need for a work truck.
So I live in the county. The state Congress makeup is the way to know how counties align politically. Be aware that I retired as an analyst for the lower electric power company, and spearheaded several initiatives promoting EVs beginning in 2013. FEC owns several EVs including a Rivian and a Tesla that they let Members take home for days. I have spoken at every Rotary group, and been on the local radio station 2x. My point is that the local electric power company has been promoting EVs, and that is the main reason they are so much more popular here when compared to the balance of the state.
There isn’t the conservative stigma associated with EVs in the Flathead, and that’s helped.

I’d bet there are more reservations for CT elsewhere in the country so what makes you think MT is gonna get V4? There is currently only 1 V4 site on the planet. The likelihood of one of the first in the US being in MT is silly talk. They have included V4 post drawings for months and we have yet to see a U.S. V4 site. Seeing as how the majority of the first Magic Dock sites are in NY with 2 in CA, I predict V4 will follow this. NY because it’s close to where V4 is made and CA because that’s Teslas home turf and factory. Maybe even put them in at the factory.
Note that I said PER CAPITA. Actually Tesla indicated that. As far as V4, I’m speculating. But V4 is a 1,000 volt charger, and Cybertruck will be the only Tesla able to utilize this voltage. It’s my speculation that when they are deployed in the USA, they will be in areas that have a lot of pickups. There are more pickups PER CAPITA in MT and WY than anywhere in NA.

Reactions: scottf200 and KJD
Note that I said PER CAPITA. Actually Tesla indicated that. As far as V4, I’m speculating. But V4 is a 1,000 volt charger, and Cybertruck will be the only Tesla able to utilize this voltage. It’s my speculation that when they are deployed in the USA, they will be in areas that have a lot of pickups. There are more pickups PER CAPITA in MT and WY than anywhere in NA.
The current V4 (only 1) is not 1000V. There are no v4 cabinets. 1000V and megawatt are just marketing spiel like 4680 will enable 500 mile range MY. They got 270 with same physical i
size battery as 2170. V4 is just that, same as V3 woth a bigger cabinet and longer cord any maybe so,time in the future it COULD be 1mw. Just because there are CT reservations doesn’t mean the actual usage will warrant the latest and greatest. Hope all you want but MT will not be where Tesla introduces the latest and greatest charging tech in the US when all of those CT reservations won’t be filled for 12=24 months from now.

And Tesla doesn’t give a blank about PER CAPITA. There are 84 SC STALLS in the entire state. California has 330 SC STATIONS. Average of at least 8 per site and you are at minimum 2600 stalls. Where do you think V4 will get more use? They already prioritize CA for deliveries so don’t you think there will be more total CT in CA ready to test the capabilities of faster stalls?

Reactions: outdoors
In Montana there are approximately 800k in drivers that are licensed according to usdot.

Say 10 percent EV penetration with Tesla getting 90 percent. Only 3 in 10 actually need a car in next 3 years. So that's 240k people that need a new car. So 21,600 Tesla's. Say 34 percent truck. As one might find in stats

7k in reservations if lucky for the state. All super generous numbers above. I think I know roughly 500 people in Montana through family and friends. None of them know anything about a cybertruck. A couple kids of parents know. They do know Tesla. That's a long stone to throw to think that many are reserving a cybertruck.

Bottom line I don't see MT as even close as a top cybertruck reservation state. Even though that's where ours are going.

Very thankful for site. Will make it about 80 miles to home. A perfect balance in distance from a supercharger. Flathead county may be where all the hustle and bustle are going on, but many of those people are just passing through. They call them tourists.

Some might be confusing ratio of ownership to volume. Texas is way down the list, but leads in volume. It's all about the volume. Or if you are making stuff it is.

Let's also leave politics out of it. People vote with pocket book when buying things. Especially in Montana. Please don't box us in on account of cars. Well established that people from all different types buy EV's.

That being said. A guy in whitefish wanted to beat my something or nother at a bar I have going to for 25 years. For driving a Tesla. He was from Minnesota.

Back to the actual site to keep this on topic.

Reserve Drive is crazy. Yet a great Costco is there for getting ice to fill up cooler for the day if charging up to go into park. Discount tire puts my fresh ones on there. No sales tax in Montana. The holiday in express rates in the summer will make you scratch your head when you look at where you are.

Reactions: Mrbrock
My point is that the local electric power company has been promoting EVs, and that is the main reason they are so much more popular here when compared to the balance of the state.
Ah, this is a part I was unaware of. That is undoubtedly the push over some of the larger or more traditionally politically allied (like Bozeman or Missoula). I spent some solid time this week responding to misinformation on EVs, so I am glad to see the local company promoting.

Myself I’m a current scientist and from the Butte area, college in Missoula, and regularly keeping tabs on the area, so the political situation there is not unfamiliar at all to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
A35FEEDB-60DC-487D-B301-863F10E9C66E.jpeg

Agreed, I have family in St. Ignatius. Now that I live out of State I either have to go through Wye or St. Regis to get to St. Ignatius. Now both of my routes are covered!
I graduated from high school in St. Ignatius in 1973. Still have family in the area. Live in Seattle now. Superchargers in St. Regis, the Wye and Kalispell are going to make travel to the area so much easier. Hope some are in place for travel to my 50th high school reunion in St. Ignatius this year.

Really wish they'd put one in Bonners Ferry too, just for some extra comfort in the winter.
These are all I90 sites. Bonners Ferry doesn’t fit that. Guessing there isn’t a lot of traffic from CdA north to Canada where Tesla would benefit from putting in the infrastructure. What reason would you give Tesla to build there? I am not familiar with the area at all so no idea why anyone would make that drive.

These are all I90 sites. Bonners Ferry doesn’t fit that. Guessing there isn’t a lot of traffic from CdA north to Canada where Tesla would benefit from putting in the infrastructure. What reason would you give Tesla to build there? I am not familiar with the area at all so no idea why anyone would make that drive.
US Highway 2

Also, Kalispell is not on I-90.

Reactions: Johnny Vector