Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kalispell, MT (under construction Apr 2024, 8 V4 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marketing, not advertising ("advertising" is strictly about buying ad space in public media, everything else done to sell cars is marketing). And Tesla absolutely realizes this fact. It's why they book the costs of building and running isolated supercharger locations as part of their Marketing budget.
Yeah my wife always tells me that. She did that job for a company that has a loyal off road following. There is a huge difference. Sorry. I blend the two like my smoothie in the morning.

My wife and I are headed to Glacier in a few weeks. Found an AirBnB in Columbia Falls with a 14-50 outlet to avoid issues with full hotel/public chargers. Use the EV charger filter on the site to find options. Beware though I discovered upon inquiry that one place that listed a charger as an amenity had only a 120V outlet.

That is quite a few days of having the car sit. Make sure you account for vampire losses, particularly if the temperature drops. Sentry mode could kill your battery too, and will likely need to be turned off. Practice a little bit and see how many miles you lose each day with the car sitting still.
Turned off sentry mode and cabin overheat and went from 133 miles on July 15th to 130 miles on July 20th. Much better than expected.

My wife and I are headed to Glacier in a few weeks. Found an AirBnB in Columbia Falls with a 14-50 outlet to avoid issues with full hotel/public chargers. Use the EV charger filter on the site to find options. Beware though I discovered upon inquiry that one place that listed a charger as an amenity had only a 120V outlet.
When is your stay? I'm pretty sure we're staying at the same place from August 8-11.

Turned off sentry mode and cabin overheat and went from 133 miles on July 15th to 130 miles on July 20th. Much better than expected.
Maybe Tesla should have a maximum anti-vampire mode (or garlic mode). When you get out of the car you can just hit the clove of garlic icon and be assured of having minimum vampire drain until you put it into drive again. 😌

It's not the planning dept or city council or county commissioners. They don't have to 'sign off' on it. There is no 'politics' about this.

That's not true. Why would a Tesla representative have to come before the local authorities for approval if they didn't have to sign off for it?

A few months ago I found the meeting minutes on-line and it was apparent that the powers to be didn't like some unspecified thing about the exact location. From what I've seen it's most likely anti-EV interests that made this location die. Sure, Tesla could be more aggressive but they have to rely upon the people they hire in each region to "give birth" to new charging locations. It could be they hired the wrong person. That could easily burn 2-3 years before it became apparent you needed to hire someone else. It's not hard to string these things out since they need approval and any representative for Tesla could blame the delay on that.

When I lived in Whitefish, Kalispell had a reputation of being even more conservative. They hated liberals and people that think like that associate EV's with everything liberal, things they hate to their core. Yes, I know EV's are not liberal or conservative, they just make good sense, but not everyone knows that. Some people make it their life mission to resist this "terrible liberalism" that they view as "taking over their country".

Tesla has the money and the desire to expand the SC network in this area but something has stymied it. There is no doubt the damage to the Flathead economy is in the millions of dollars per year. A Supercharger station would bring a steady stream of tourists with money to spend. These people doing this are so short-sighted but they think they are doing a good thing. Pure ignorance.

Swung by the Super 1 earlier today. Zero sign of any SC-related construction. Looks like it’s on hold indefinitely, which is a damn shame because there are any good charging options nearby as they’ve started locking the Destination Charger at the Red Lion Hotel with a bike lock… probably to prevent non-guests using it.

Attachments

• 0AF055E1-9282-4200-976F-284EDE3F268A.jpeg
    0AF055E1-9282-4200-976F-284EDE3F268A.jpeg
    788.9 KB · Views: 108
Swung by the Super 1 earlier today. Zero sign of any SC-related construction. Looks like it’s on hold indefinitely, which is a damn shame because there are any good charging options nearby as they’ve started locking the Destination Charger at the Red Lion Hotel with a bike lock… probably to prevent non-guests using it.

That seems like a lot of work to continually lock and unlock that charge connection simply to save a little electricity. Because it gets a lot of regular use from actual hotel guests. If they didn't want others using it they should have just put a sign there saying, "For hotel guests only - We actively prosecute theft of electricity." I would think that would cause unauthorized use to fall rather dramatically and it would be a lot more convenient for hotel employees and guests.

But I guess making a sign is too much work. :rolleyes:

That seems like a lot of work to continually lock and unlock that charge connection simply to save a little electricity. Because it gets a lot of regular use from actual hotel guests. If they didn't want others using it they should have just put a sign there saying, "For hotel guests only - We actively prosecute theft of electricity." I would think that would cause unauthorized use to fall rather dramatically and it would be a lot more convenient for hotel employees and guests.

But I guess making a sign is too much work. :rolleyes:
Another option would be to install one of the new gen 3 wall connectors that allows the usage to be billed directly to the Tesla's account. That way the hotel owner wouldn't have to pay for the electricity anymore.

Another option would be to install one of the new gen 3 wall connectors that allows the usage to be billed directly to the Tesla's account. That way the hotel owner wouldn't have to pay for the electricity anymore.
I doubt it's for electricity cost. Well, maybe it is somewhat. My guess is that a guest wanted to use it and couldn't because someone else was. I personally would never plug into a hotel or other destination charger unless I was staying there or had clear permission.

That would still allow non-guests to occupy the space and, since it would no longer be theft of electricity, it would probably make the problem worse, not better.

Besides, the hotel offers EV charging as a perk of staying there and the cost to do so is very low relative to the room rates.

• Helpful
Reactions: CarlS and scottf200

Has that functionality finally been implemented? If so, does the owner set the price through the wall connector configuration and how do they get paid?

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My dad has property ~8 miles out of Kalispell with a small shed and 200A service. Is there a way to install a DC fast charger without it being prohibitively expensive?

Doable, but you're looking at spending at least $10,000 for the equipment.

Your best value, if you aren't in major hurry, is to install a wall connector or two on the shed. You could even make them publicly available on PlugShare and recover some costs through Tesla's billing system (coming soon).