Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'all are super cute with your Food Truck chatter.

While I suspect many of you are imagining artisan small batch pork sandwiches smoked over endangered Brazilian hardwood and pulled lovingly off the bone by humanely employed baby pandas, this is the only kind food truck that's has a snowball's chance of showing up at KC:

2004-ford-all-purpose-food-truck-montana-2514037-1j_xl.jpg

If one does this AT ALL, I would definitely leave nothing in the car, in FRONK if you must and leave the back seats pulled down to show that there is nothing easy to steal. Just sayin’

I figured I would leave a soggy diaper sitting on the dash to ward off any would be miscreants.

All kidding aside, Id definitely empty the car and pull the seats down. My preference is for Kettleman because it is actually on my buddies route to mineral king on the 46. Id also like to top the car up so I can leave sentry mode on, hence why I dont want to leave it at the amtrack station.

Decisions decisions. Maybe ill just drive the van....if only it had EAP...

I figured I would leave a soggy diaper sitting on the dash to ward off any would be miscreants.

All kidding aside, Id definitely empty the car and pull the seats down. My preference is for Kettleman because it is actually on my buddies route to mineral king on the 46. Id also like to top the car up so I can leave sentry mode on, hence why I dont want to leave it at the amtrack station.

Decisions decisions. Maybe ill just drive the van....if only it had EAP...
I’d say consider parking closer to the building as well, but I don’t know if that’s a good idea now that I think about it
It might prevent someone from trying anything since it’s so close to the building. But at the same time if the criminals know that no one is around at night then they might still be intrigued to break into your car.

To reach Kettleman City from Highway 46, your friend will have to head north on Highway 41 to Kettleman City.

To reach Mineral King from Highway 46, your friend will again head north on Highway 41 past Kettleman City to the junction with Highway 198 at Lemoore. He will then head east on 198 past Visalia and Three Rivers to the turn off for Mineral King.

Harris Ranch is smack-dab on Highway 198. Yes, the direct route from Kettleman City to Lemoore is one leg of a triangle, while keeping your car at Harris Ranch is two legs. But the total mileage is not that much more, and you can drive 75+ the short leg on Interstate 5 while Highway 41 is limited to 55, and could be experiencing heavy traffic. Harvest time for almonds starts around August 12 or so in Kings County, plus whatever else is coming down the pike.

Went here on Wednesday the July 10th and spoke to the ladies working. They're always nice and remember me and my family. They said Sunday, July 7th was the busiest it has ever been. They had an attendant outside from around 2pm to 8pm. They had pictures similar to images shown earlier in the thread with a line of cars waiting at least 6 deep.They said many people were charging for a long time as they were afraid other chargers would have a long wait. The trash cans needed constant changing from the large amount of people.
`

Rumor has it the kettleman city supercharger was so full (+40) today that there was a que line waiting 4 deep. Can anyone corroborate that claim?

Wow - that's usually only a Christmas/Thanksgiving thing. Is there any particular holiday/event in the US at the moment that would cause a spike?

That's an excellent problem to have. Perhaps rather than upgrading Kettleman City, build *another* 40 stall + lounge site along the route, but make the new one V3 :)

Reactions: freeewilly and KJD
Is there any particular holiday/event in the US at the moment that would cause a spike?
Yes, this is Labor Day weekend, which is a 3-day weekend ending with Labor Day which is Monday (today as I type this). It is a big travel weekend and I’m not surprised that Kettleman City is very busy.

As has been noted several times in this thread, with 40 stalls even if there is a line wait times are usually quite short, just a few minutes.

Thanks @MP3Mike and @ecarfan - that makes sense - it's not filling to capacity at random then! Tesla may not be in a hurry to expand (not beyond usual expansion rates, that is). A site at capacity is working as intended and I can only guess is optimal from an economic standpoint. As ecarfan says, a queue at a site of that size is probably only means a <1 minute wait per car. Maybe less, if many cars are getting 150kW now?

Yes today is Labor Day, so it is another big holiday weekend.
For those outside of the US who are interested, our Labor Day is basically the same as the May Day that much of the world celebrates. There are US-specific political reasons that it was separated from May 1st (Haymarket affair among others) but as those are even more off topic than this response, I'll just suggest that it's interesting reading. ;) Generally speaking, if your country celebrates May Day, you can somewhat relate to Labor Day in the US, even if it's not quite as intense and protest-oriented.

Yes, this is Labor Day weekend, which is a 3-day weekend ending with Labor Day which is Monday (today as I type this). It is a big travel weekend and I’m not surprised that Kettleman City is very busy.

As has been noted several times in this thread, with 40 stalls even if there is a line wait times are usually quite short, just a few minutes.

I’m not hugely surprised by this...I was at Kettleman City at 10PM Friday night and there were 20+ cars there! The first aisle next to the lounge looked like this:

upload_2019-9-2_20-22-13.jpeg

Bruce.

We have seen reports of lines here obviously around the holiday times, but the report of overall change over seems to be about 1 car a minute, so the wait impact should be pretty predicatable. Now that its a 150 kWh station, it should be at least 10% faster? ;-)

I think what this location should do is ADD a barista or floor support person during holiday times and do VALET when the line gets to be more than 10 ppl deep. Many people need to get inside and use the LAV, or would really like to drop car and head to starbucks or something. Assuming one wasn't worried about theft, one VALET attendant could easily move cars into opening slots and let people do some other task. Probably cost them less than 15$ an hour during peak times to facilitate.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman