Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm really wondering why a lot of the recent sites use the little dry transformers, one per Supercharger cabinet. Are they purposely getting higher voltage utility transformers, like 600VAC instead of 480VAC, just so they can pass less current through the distribution cabinets? Seems like a lot of work to wire up those 20 additional transformers for what seems like minor benefits.

• Informative
Reactions: rypalmer
I wonder if the lounge exclusive to Tesla owners only or open to the public? 40 stalls might sound like a lot, but for a 70D to go there from Corona, I would have to stop at Tejon, which is the bottleneck locations :(.

Fob access only would be a nice touch, as would fully-equipped shower suites (a la travel plazas for autos/RVs/trucks including Petro, Flying J/Pilot, TA, Love’s, and the independent truck stops) but I doubt they’ve thought things through that far as support options for the truly intrepid road tripper.

I expect instead that this will be an iterative process.

Today, Kettleman will lead the way as a flagship SC with some sort of convenience store with comfy seats and reasonably well-maintained rest rooms. In the future, they might include a VR experience including (virtual) test drives for the curious public, the aforementioned shower suites at the same industry-leading level as Petro or newly-refurbished Flying J or TA facilities, and of course full integration with optional National and regional hyperloop corridors where appropriate.

No, I did not bring enough for everybody*, but someday... voila - an integrated travel experience second only to...

Interplanetary travel.

*After all, premium pipe dreams are an art form. I learned from the 12/2016 video.

HEY-oh... Hehehe.

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
It is listed as open on the Tesla web site: Find Us | Tesla

Kettleman.png

Interesting that the lounge is listed under restaurants...

@BlueShift it appears to be time to update the status to open.

I'm really wondering why a lot of the recent sites use the little dry transformers, one per Supercharger cabinet. Are they purposely getting higher voltage utility transformers, like 600VAC instead of 480VAC, just so they can pass less current through the distribution cabinets? Seems like a lot of work to wire up those 20 additional transformers for what seems like minor benefits.
Could it possibly be preparation for Supercharger V3?

Could it possibly be preparation for Supercharger V3?
As others have noted, some of the equipment in the walled enclosure looks different than what we are used to seeing. I think it is quite possible that this new site may offer a higher kW charging rate than previous Superchargers. If so, the big question is, can the currently produced Teslas handle a higher charging rate, or is this preparation for future vehicles? I don’t know.

Reactions: jvonbokel
These superchargers look like you could pull a long vehicle (semi) in. I'm no electrical engineer but would there be benefit in plugging in two superchargers at once into a larger vehicle with multiple batteries?
No, there is no room on this site for the coming Tesla Truck (formerly known as the Tesla Semi). The stalls are much too narrow, among other things.

These superchargers look like you could pull a long vehicle (semi) in. I'm no electrical engineer but would there be benefit in plugging in two superchargers at once into a larger vehicle with multiple batteries?

I think this is absolutely what Tesla will reveal tomorrow with the Semi. Two or four batteries that can independently Supercharge at essentially the same speed as a car. The only question would be how that would affect battery life long term.

That said, I don't think Kettleman City has any Semi chargers in place. Tesla doesn't have the money to waste for infrastructure on a product that won't hit the market for 2 years.

Reactions: dirtyofries
That said, I don't think Kettleman City has any Semi chargers in place. Tesla doesn't have the money to waste for infrastructure on a product that won't hit the market for 2 years.

Yeah, I agree with that - however, I wouldn't be surprised if the site has left space or a throughway to accommodate adding them in the future.

They might even run the conduit and leave it ready for installation.