Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kettleman City, CA (LIVE 15 Nov 2017, 24 V2 + 16 V3 stalls, lounge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious, why would it be faster using the HPWC? Doesn't the car ramp down amps when charging with the HPWC at the end as well?
That was essentially my question. My understanding is that the HPWC maintains the same rate until the end, whereas a Supercharger drops to well below those speeds. Again, not so important here, but perhaps elsewhere.

Shows up in the car nav now, there is a code for the lounge.
Check out all those empty slots....

IMG_2867.jpg

I'm really wondering why a lot of the recent sites use the little dry transformers, one per Supercharger cabinet. Are they purposely getting higher voltage utility transformers, like 600VAC instead of 480VAC, just so they can pass less current through the distribution cabinets? Seems like a lot of work to wire up those 20 additional transformers for what seems like minor benefits.
Not likely the utilities are providing an odd (for them) voltage. They are certainly serving 277/480 Volt three phase. I've examined the nameplates on these transformers, and they seem to be single-winding (per phase) autotransformers with 480 V on one side, and 504 V on the other. Interestingly, 504 V is the upper legal limit according to ANSI. I thought these might be used to make up for distribution line loss, but the new site at Deming, NM, across the street from the substation, makes that unlikely!

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Big Earl
I've examined the nameplates on these transformers, and they seem to be single-winding (per phase) autotransformers with 480 V on one side, and 504 V on the other. Interestingly, 504 V is the upper legal limit according to ANSI. I thought these might be used to make up for distribution line loss, but the new site at Deming, NM, across the street from the substation, makes that unlikely!

Could the issue be that the utility is providing 504 V and Tesla's equipment can only handle 480 V. So maybe they are bringing the voltage down and not up?

Not likely the utilities are providing an odd (for them) voltage. They are certainly serving 277/480 Volt three phase. I've examined the nameplates on these transformers, and they seem to be single-winding (per phase) autotransformers with 480 V on one side, and 504 V on the other. Interestingly, 504 V is the upper legal limit according to ANSI. I thought these might be used to make up for distribution line loss, but the new site at Deming, NM, across the street from the substation, makes that unlikely!

I've been seeing these autotransformers getting installed at many new Supercharger locations. Tesla seems to be shoving as much voltage into the superchargers as they can. I assume for better efficiency and for maximum power output.

Reactions: GSP
I've been seeing these autotransformers getting installed at many new Supercharger locations. Tesla seems to be shoving as much voltage into the superchargers as they can. I assume for better efficiency and for maximum power output.
You may be right, but why one per cabinet instead of one larger one between the utility transformer and the distribution cabinet? Does the Supercharger have more voltage headroom than the breakers and other things inside the distribution cabinet?

Reactions: GSP