Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kitchener, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP here.

Tech did say V3, but could be wrong. Based on location though, it would make more sense for V3/V2. It's not really in a great spot unless you were driving through. Kind of a weird spot in general. Maybe a local can enlighten as to why it would be needed. It's like the Lawrence Ave East charger in Toronto with the service centre. To me, just the fact it is at the service centre would mean you would want fastest chargers possible to get people out of the way (and charge cars quickly that were in service).

This service centre also looks like it will eventually be setup for sales (they even have a skateboard sitting in the show/delivery room area).
Not the best location if coming across the 401 as the Cambridge location is much better but good for those heading north through there and vehicles getting service.

D4A0CD43-93BC-4FEE-A15D-5687C3D1F5F9.jpeg
358063AA-B3CB-491C-BEFF-BBBCAC51E025.jpeg
First layer of new pavement is down, and an update if the Superchargers on Tuesday Oct 29

For 8 stall locations it is generally some 150k$. V3 may cost around 200k$
Your numbers don't look reasonable to me. My considerations for a V3, in $US:
  • 1000KVA transformer is close to $100K
  • Only Tesla knows what their equip costs but I would guess over $100K capex
  • Power feed would be 5 figures
  • Construction costs would be 5 figures
  • Cost of Tesla personnel managing, doing design, presentations, travel to city council meetings etc (unknown)
  • Permits, fees etc, landscaping, municipal fees etc. are in the nuisance zone but not zero
  • Tech setup
  • Initial utility fees to turn the lights on
There is capex, salary, professional fees, lots of other things. I see capex being close to your numbers, but that's certainly not the limit of Tesla's costs. A power transformer and Tesla equipment cost would be somewhat proportional to stall count (with some rounding up) but a 6 stall site would likely have similar non-capex setup cost to a 12 stall site.

Operational costs are likely more proportional to stall count (utility costs, stall rental etc.).

I think my numbers are conservative. I saw other people come up with estimates of a quarter million for 6 stalls a year ago (pre-V3).

Cost in $CDN of course higher.

Your numbers don't look reasonable to me. My considerations for a V3, in $US:
  • 1000KVA transformer is close to $100K
  • Only Tesla knows what their equip costs but I would guess over $100K capex
  • Power feed would be 5 figures
  • Construction costs would be 5 figures
  • Cost of Tesla personnel managing, doing design, presentations, travel to city council meetings etc (unknown)
  • Permits, fees etc, landscaping, municipal fees etc. are in the nuisance zone but not zero
  • Tech setup
  • Initial utility fees to turn the lights on
There is capex, salary, professional fees, lots of other things. I see capex being close to your numbers, but that's certainly not the limit of Tesla's costs. A power transformer and Tesla equipment cost would be somewhat proportional to stall count (with some rounding up) but a 6 stall site would likely have similar non-capex setup cost to a 12 stall site.

Operational costs are likely more proportional to stall count (utility costs, stall rental etc.).

I think my numbers are conservative. I saw other people come up with estimates of a quarter million for 6 stalls a year ago (pre-V3).

Cost in $CDN of course higher.
Just discussed your info with someone who stated it’s a fair estimate and not a big issue for Tesla when they spread them out over time. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: XHabjab
From the London, ON Supercharger thread: Supercharger - London, ON

Just thought i would add some info on this...

Kitchener is at the same point of construction as London. I spoke to the Kitchener Service centre manager who said that they had to send back the chargers because of an issue from the factory.

So the only hold up is Tesla sending themselves the V3 chargers.