Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lake Arrowhead, CA (LIVE 17 Nov 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't the Lake Arrowhead permit applied or granted back in December? I'm surprised construction hasn't begun after all these months! It'll be half a year later before we know it.
The permit was "approved" in December, meaning all the subsection reviews were passed and the plans were okayed. But the permit hasn't been issued yet. It's waiting on Tesla to appoint a general contractor for the project and for them to file some paperwork forms. The paperwork can be finished in under an hour, so the permit is basically just in a holding pattern until Tesla and whoever they select as contractor are ready to proceed.

The permit was "approved" in December, meaning all the subsection reviews were passed and the plans were okayed. But the permit hasn't been issued yet. It's waiting on Tesla to appoint a general contractor for the project and for them to file some paperwork forms. The paperwork can be finished in under an hour, so the permit is basically just in a holding pattern until Tesla and whoever they select as contractor are ready to proceed.
This is typical of Tesla. Same thing happened with Bishop, with whom I had regular conversations with the planning department. They would submit a simple request, and it would take an inordinate amount of time for Tesla to respond. Hmm, I think I see a pattern here. Customer service is just as bad.

This is typical of Tesla. Same thing happened with Bishop, with whom I had regular conversations with the planning department. They would submit a simple request, and it would take an inordinate amount of time for Tesla to respond. Hmm, I think I see a pattern here. Customer service is just as bad.
Tesla is in business to make a profit for the shareholders while satisfying customers. Maybe they can't find contractors because they all left CA? Perhaps contractors don't have proper credentials to meet Tesla or city requirements or adequate insurance. Please don't turn TMC to a place to blame Tesla. That's exactly why tesla/forums locked down new blogs. If you don't know about the problem, then ask a question. I have not had one problem with customer service. Quit acting like you're entitled to what you want and be thankful for what you have. So glad I left CA for TX long ago.

Tesla is in business to make a profit for the shareholders while satisfying customers. Maybe they can't find contractors because they all left CA? Perhaps contractors don't have proper credentials to meet Tesla or city requirements or adequate insurance. Please don't turn TMC to a place to blame Tesla. That's exactly why tesla/forums locked down new blogs. If you don't know about the problem, then ask a question. I have not had one problem with customer service. Quit acting like you're entitled to what you want and be thankful for what you have. So glad I left CA for TX long ago.
Chill dude. I based some of this on hard evidence. I've been here for a long time, and have lots of experience. Your attitude is not consistent with the TMC community. If you don't like it, and moved away, I see no need for you to comment. Thank you.

The Superchargers for Lake Arrowhead still appear to be stalled. :confused:

Hey, this reminds me... There's lots of great outdoor things to do year around in Big Bear Lake, but I'm holding off until I can Supercharge in town (Lake Arrowhead is too out of the way for me unless it's my destination). Maybe it's time for us to nudge the good folks in Big Big Lake again about getting their own Superchargers. 🤑

I agree that the
The Superchargers for Lake Arrowhead still appear to be stalled. :confused:

Hey, this reminds me... There's lots of great outdoor things to do year around in Big Bear Lake, but I'm holding off until I can Supercharge in town (Lake Arrowhead is too out of the way for me unless it's my destination). Maybe it's time for us to nudge the good folks in Big Big Lake again about getting their own Superchargers. 🤑
The Arrowhead Village is already busy (well, it was pre-pandemic), and the amount of Big Bear traffic that will be diverted here will be significant. I am personally happy to have this here, as I do not go to Big Bear. For the rest, Big Bear would be far more practical.

I'm actually doing 2 residential/vacation rental renovation projects in the Arrowbear/Running Springs area right now. I can tell you that finding a competent GC or any decent subcontractor is VERY difficult. Folks above alluded to that and I think they may be onto something.

If Tesla needs good people to make these superchargers happen, they will have a difficult time finding those folks locally. I would surmise that the eventual GC selected would need to commute up from San Bernardino or even further Pasadena/Riverside/LA before Tesla had someone they could trust. I know it sounds crazy: but these people up in the mountains will claim a 1 month project delay is completely legitimate due to a 1-2' snowstorm (which realistically should cause no more than a 3-5 day delay, max).

It's almost European as the locals go up there. "Mountain time," they call it. Really, really frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
I'm actually doing 2 residential/vacation rental renovation projects in the Arrowbear/Running Springs area right now. I can tell you that finding a competent GC or any decent subcontractor is VERY difficult. Folks above alluded to that and I think they may be onto something.

If Tesla needs good people to make these superchargers happen, they will have a difficult time finding those folks locally. I would surmise that the eventual GC selected would need to commute up from San Bernardino or even further Pasadena/Riverside/LA before Tesla had someone they could trust. I know it sounds crazy: but these people up in the mountains will claim a 1 month project delay is completely legitimate due to a 1-2' snowstorm (which realistically should cause no more than a 3-5 day delay, max).

It's almost European as the locals go up there. "Mountain time," they call it. Really, really frustrating.
I would highly doubt that they would consider a local contractor. It seems that Tesla has a few favorites that they use, who travel from one location to the next, often from one county to another. I would imagine it is the same for up there. The commute up the hill makes this location a little less practical. I would imagine that they do a tremendous amount of work for any given day, then pause while they wait for supplies, then work again, etc. They could theoretically deliver as much as possible at one, but that still leaves the workers who have to go up and down to see their families. I highly doubt Tesla would put them in local lodging, which would be nice.

Alternatively, Tesla is now making use of pre-fab superchargers. This would be ideal for locations such as this one. Just truck them in and drop them in place. There is still some significant work to be done from there, but at least all the stalls could be finished in a day or less.

We've lived in that very area for a long time, and we've seen contractors/handymen who exemplify the attitude you describe. However, there are also excellent contractors up here, including friends of ours. The trouble is, the good ones tend to be hard to get, at least when real estate is booming as it is today.

Tesla has connections with some very good electrical contractors in the Inland Empire. Trout Electric comes to mind as one, as they performed extensive electrical work for us at an investment property, necessary to add multiple Wall Connectors and support future upgrades. They've worked on projects for Tesla since the early days. Trout probably has quite a backlog today.

There's been 1 inspection attempted already on July 22nd and a repeat is currently scheduled for next week. Unfortunately, the inspection type ("Tennant Inspection") isn't something I recognize or explicitly construction related, so I can't be sure, but I think it's very likely that this location has started construction. If anyone is going to be in the area any time soon, please swing by and do some recon.

I think one could assume construction has started based on the last inspection completed yesterday. Comment from inspector shown below. I wasn't able to look at the far side of the village when I was up last weekend. I know it is not in the main parking areas of the lower lot or upper lot. But I believe it is right by the rear entrance to the parking garage, this is just speculation though. 34.250152, -117.188934.
Comment from inspector: P-A GROUNDS APPROVED U/G CONDUIT 8-10-2021 JG

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
@abasile lives in the area, maybe he can swing by and get us an update. ;)
We'll try to get an update within the next few days. Lately, in our neck of the woods, we've been impacted by horrible construction traffic during the week. In any case, we're excited to have this new SC site under development! Big Bear Lake, of course, has an even greater need for Superchargers. We see many, many Teslas on these mountain roads.

We went mountain biking at Skypark this evening, and stopped by Lake Arrowhead Village afterwards. As you enter the village from Highway 173, toward the lower level, there is a small parking lot off to the right. Tesla has cabinets and some heavy equipment stored here.
D5AB9D07-6E91-4989-9686-04CE33020F88.jpeg

B77C7DB4-FFE5-4696-8C14-BE41A3AB33AC.jpeg

F167DF60-2447-4DBD-AD48-7AD3235960CB.jpeg

Inside the parking garage, on the uppermost level, they are evidently preparing to install the Supercharger stalls:
66E17D4F-DE42-403F-BF6B-28AB2799E31C.jpeg

CCE1AD9E-2791-45CB-9BCB-1717A520FB4E.jpeg

9A9A4D61-C38D-42AF-9E30-12A77AE33404.jpeg

AFFE0B79-6874-4997-B224-81238D739999.jpeg

Just outside the parking garage on the west side, there is another construction zone where it appears the cabinets are going to be installed. There has already been excavation for a trench, and some conduit is in place on the side of the garage:
7B1EBD47-E5F7-44C9-B524-68537F5CCBF5.jpeg

C4E80463-A9F9-4678-ACC5-BFBC34BEE315.jpeg

19FEB95B-6CF7-44B0-8B43-51B3E8A60EE2.jpeg

FINALLY!!! Let's hope Tesla doesn't drop Big Bear down the queue in the supercharger to do list.
I agree and would strongly prefer to have Superchargers in Big Bear over Lake Arrowhead (though I'm happy for them and also the Tesla owners who would like to charge there). There might be some movement for Big Bear: Big Bear - where to charge?