Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Vegas, NV - Bridger Ave.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're generally on top of things out here. They were right on the current SC and haven't been wrong on anything else.

I certainly hope your right. I'm just not confident that Tesla gives there service center employees much information about future supercharger locations, and I was told by someone on the supercharger team one month ago that nothing was planned for Primm. But plans can change, and the service center employees could have more information that I think they do, so here's hoping.

I certainly hope your right. I'm just not confident that Tesla gives there service center employees much information about future supercharger locations, and I was told by someone on the supercharger team one month ago that nothing was planned for Primm. But plans can change, and the service center employees could have more information that I think they do, so here's hoping.

I think Primm will happen. That was where the dot on the map was originally, and then it got changed, I think more as a favor to Tony Hsieh than anything else. If either of us bought 100 cars we could probably get our own SC too! I might get a chance to meet a senior program manager in the SC deployment group, and if so will just ask him if he can share any information.

Ive done the trip to Vegas twice. It's no fun in my 60 between barstow and Vegas. Driving below 70 I arrived with 17mi left last time. If there were headwinds or if it was cold, I'd be in trouble. I lucked out. Bottom line is 155mi between SCs is too far a distance in a 60 to have a trip without worry.

Agree with you as well. I drove super slow last time (60-70mph) with a range charge and got to the strip with about 20miles left only. Someone us get range anxiety once it goes below 25miles. I much rather do 90% at Barstow and then 50% at Primm and then be home free to Vegas going faster than the trucks and hybrids :)

Agree with you as well. I drove super slow last time (60-70mph) with a range charge and got to the strip with about 20miles left only. Someone us get range anxiety once it goes below 25miles. I much rather do 90% at Barstow and then 50% at Primm and then be home free to Vegas going faster than the trucks and hybrids :)

It's certainly safer that way, keeping up with traffic, and takes no more time. Reducing speed by 15 mph over 120 miles would cost more time than going faster and stopping to charge for 20 minutes. Or, do a full charge at Primm and have enough to get back to Primm without charging at all in LV.

I'll be charging at Barstow in a couple weeks en route from Durango to the Bay Area. Do you guys find that it gets busy enough there that you may have to wait in line during daylight hours? Are some days and times better to get there than others for having open access to a charger? Thanks...

I'll be charging at Barstow in a couple weeks en route from Durango to the Bay Area. Do you guys find that it gets busy enough there that you may have to wait in line during daylight hours? Are some days and times better to get there than others for having open access to a charger? Thanks...

In my limited experience, two previous trips to Las Vegas in April 2013 and October 2013, I haven't had to wait on each leg of my trips. If you have a choice, I do think that it makes sense to avoid the times when there is likely to be high traffic volume between LA and Las Vegas. Friday and Sunday are likely to be high volume days of the week, and holiday weekends in general. For instance, I doubt you'll have to wait at all if you travel during a regular non-holiday weekday.

Today was the first day the site hasn't been busy. There was just one guy this morning, working around the transformers (see the third picture). It looks like they could be operational any time, I suspect they're waiting for inspections and power. Curb stops are in, the only things obviously missing are signs. Here are pictures from this a.m.

010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG

Today was the first day the site hasn't been busy. There was just one guy this morning, working around the transformers (see the third picture). It looks like they could be operational any time, I suspect they're waiting for inspections and power. Curb stops are in, the only things obviously missing are signs. Here are pictures from this a.m.
Nice pics - too bad you didn't get a closer pic of the power distribution / switchboard cabinets. If I had to guess, there is a battery storage unit hiding in there (see big red box in middle cabinet). Most locations do not have that many cabinets for 3 stations / 6 plugs.

See the plans for the Madison, WI SuperCharger, for example.

Nice pics - too bad you didn't get a closer pic of the power distribution / switchboard cabinets. If I had to guess, there is a battery storage unit hiding in there (see big red box in middle cabinet). Most locations do not have that many cabinets for 3 stations / 6 plugs.

See the plans for the Madison, WI SuperCharger, for example.

The big red box is very interesting. Anyone there, please get a closer pic. Here is an annotated picture of the parts of a Supercharger site for reference: Tesla Supercharger network - Page 312, no red box. OTOH, in the Tesla/Solar City pics of energy storage units, I have not seen any red ones.

The big red box is very interesting. Anyone there, please get a closer pic. Here is an annotated picture of the parts of a Supercharger site for reference: Tesla Supercharger network - Page 312, no red box. OTOH, in the Tesla/Solar City pics of energy storage units, I have not seen any red ones.

I'll get a closer picture next time I go by if there isn't a guy standing right there. I'm not aware of anyone trying to plug in, but I'm certainly not going to try when there's someone fiddling with the guts of the power distribution stuff.

Darmok - is that conjecture on your part? Is it Tony Hsieh's 100-Tesla fleet?

And.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic, have I correctly just learned that this week he sold his Segway franchise in LVegas? </offtopic>

Not conjecture and yes, it is for the downtown project cars, though I don't know how many they have at the moment. There certainly arent teslas all over downtown. For now they will probably just use their own two chargers on sixth street and the public SC.

I asked one of the guys working on the site what the red box is and this was his reply.

"The red box is inside the switch gear that powers the site it is a fiberglass protective cover"