Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to get an update on this SpC. If the permit was approved over a week ago, there is a chance that construction may have started. So, it is probably stupid of me to ask, but if anyone is heading up that way, please check it out and post an update/pics!

Just hazarding a guess, 4Super9, but since Rancho Cucamonga is nearly complete, and Cabazon is on pace, maybe one of those crews will be going to Lone Pine once their particular project is done. And I don't know that just because the ICPC voted to allow the zoning variance that the permit is already issued. That could take some time too--it is California, after all! :rolleyes:

You ever go to Saline Valley Hot Springs? That there's my stompin' grounds!

No, but it looks amazing. Will have to check it out, will bring the Tesla down as soon as the Lone Pine station is built (and when I actually receive my Tesla in December).

- - - Updated - - -

Did you drive your Tesla there? I thought it was full of dirt/rock road for 50 miles or more

Yes, that's a big problem, some places are still going to be inaccessible to a Tesla based on the road conditions. I've been to the White Mountain Research Center. Heavily rutted dirt and scree for 22 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Schulman+Grove,+Inyo+National+Forest,+California/@37.585205,-118.236775,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s110077289!2e1!3e10!4m2!3m1!1s0x80be424b8ec5ef2d:0xaf6a2b5c9a1b7263

You ever go to Saline Valley Hot Springs? That there's my stompin' grounds!

Whoa. Oh yeah. I lived in Furnace Creek and Death Valley Junction for a lot of years and know all of Death Valley, Amargosa Valley, hidden mines, Stovepipe to Lone Pine, and and and like the back of my hand. The stories I could tell (or could be told about me, but none of them are true).

Whoa. Oh yeah. I lived in Furnace Creek and Death Valley Junction for a lot of years and know all of Death Valley, Amargosa Valley, hidden mines, Stovepipe to Lone Pine, and and and like the back of my hand. The stories I could tell (or could be told about me, but none of them are true).

Bonnie, I too, know every little dirt road into every crevice of that area. Here's a video for you to remind you of your old haunts: Saline Fiddlers Visit Butte Valley - YouTube

Well we need to catch up at some point and swap stories. I have some very cool old southwestern hand-painted chairs here at the house from the Furnace Creek Inn (they were throwing them out during a remodel), several crystals from old mines that we explored (my ex was the mine geologist at the time and no, that lock was already broken), and tons of stories ... many of the Manson family still living there, Marta Beckett in her prime, prospectors still 'coming into town' for supplies, and more. I helped collar the hole at the underground mine on the way up to Dante's View - and one of the claims to the south of the road is named the 'Bonnie Claim'.

It was a lifetime ago, wouldn't move back, but wouldn't trade those years for anything. :)

No one is going to do one of those, rock-crawling roads in a Tesla anytime soon, certainly not in an S or an X... It takes a real SUV to travel on those roads.

You'd be surprised. I took my Prius up to 13,500 feet past the Bristlecone Pines, ignoring the 4WD signs, drifting and sideswiping the creosote and sage all the way up. Then my friend got altitude sickness and I had to race back down again. Permanent scratches to all the side panels.

You'd be surprised. I took my Prius up to 13,500 feet past the Bristlecone Pines, ignoring the 4WD signs, drifting and sideswiping the creosote and sage all the way up. Then my friend got altitude sickness and I had to race back down again. Permanent scratches to all the side panels.

And I've taken a Peugeot 505, BMW2002, and Volvo 740 wagon thru Titus Canyon (granted, very carefully) - but there are plenty of roads that require 4wd only, no matter how good you are at sussing out the best route over rocks and ruts. There is a reason so many serious offroad vehicles are outfitted with a winch. It's not for looks.

And I've taken a Peugeot 505, BMW2002, and Volvo 740 wagon thru Titus Canyon (granted, very carefully) - but there are plenty of roads that require 4wd only, no matter how good you are at sussing out the best route over rocks and ruts. There is a reason so many serious offroad vehicles are outfitted with a winch. It's not for looks.

A winch is very important for self recovery, but I have only used mine to help recover other vehicles! Also, a very important mod to my Jeep is the addition of rock rails. I have used the rock rails to slide over rocks without damage to the side panels several times. You can easily see the winch and just see the dirty, black rock rails under the doors between the wheels. They are pretty tough and made of box steel. Besides the transfer case locking up in 4-wheel-low, this jeep has air lockers, so if front and back diffs are locked, then all four wheels turn at the same speed; if one wheel has traction the jeep will keep moving. All serious rock crawling stuff that will not fit on any foreseeable Tesla.

Jeep-2.JPG

But your Prius couldn't no way do this: Saline Fiddlers Visit Butte Valley - YouTube

No, but it looks amazing. Will have to check it out, will bring the Tesla down as soon as the Lone Pine station is built (and when I actually receive my Tesla in December).

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's a big problem, some places are still going to be inaccessible to a Tesla based on the road conditions. I've been to the White Mountain Research Center. Heavily rutted dirt and scree for 22 miles.

Schulman Grove, Inyo National Forest, California - Google Maps
I don't think I've ever seen it that green in the Whites!:smile: What month? I've been up there a few times, and got to stay inside overnight once (part of a class) at the Mt. Barcroft Research Station and take a tour (btw, why is the link labeled Schulman Grove, when it's at Barcroft?). The highlight of the tour, at least for my girlfriend at the time, was the 'Bat Room'. They were doing some research with bats, can't remember what, but the bats were fairly sleepy during the day, and you could pick one up and just stick it on your shirt or sweater where they'd fasten themselves all spread out like the world's biggest living brooch and go back to sleep!:biggrin: Cheered her up considerably, as she'd had her first experience with altitude sickness the night before, and I was less sympathetic than I should have been.

Pretty fancy digs for back in the early '90s - they had a rec room with both table tennis and IIRR a pool table, plus a wall size projection screen satellite TV (there was no cable, and broadcast TV didn't get up there). Of course, if you had to overwinter you'd need some distractions, and you can only read so much. I did a solo ski trip up there back in April 1980, and I remember the wind just blew for 4 of the 5 days I was there. Parked at Grandview campground which was as far as the road was clear. Only made it as far as Schulman Grove before the Fastex waist belt buckle of the rental Gregory Cassin pack I was trying out failed (Fastex buckles were still new tech then), and I wasn't going to shoulder carry 75 lbs. out to White Mountain Peak and back, so wound up staying at Schulman Grove and day tripping around it. I've never seen such abrasive snow, before or since; used up my entire tube of Red Klister wax on the first day, so just skied around on bare bases poling the rest of the time (didn't own climbing skins yet). Fortunately, the terrain along the spine is gently rolling, so this wasn't too strenuous (and I was a young stud). But man, is it desolate up there in winter/spring (or summer, for that matter); access to the research station in winter is apparently via helicopter, as I saw one going and coming once that week, and didn't see anyone from the day I went in until the day I was coming out.

It's also possible to ride a mountain bike out there; I hiked up to the peak and back from the gate below Barcroft on another early '90s trip one June, and could see bicycle tire tracks in the snow patches all the way up to the summit. The research station on the summit itself is rarely used but there is a jeep road all the way, although the gate below the Barcroft station is normally closed and locked (at least it used to be) unless you've got special permission. Did you hike there, or were you able to drive?

Last edited:
We have hiked White Mountain on the one weekend a year when the research station has an open house. The road is definitely not Tesla accessible for a long time. I remember it being a long drive from where the pavement ends at high altitude. I have an old 4Runner that I keep for those trips. The 4Runner is gutless at sea level, definitely gutless at 12,000 ft.

Kinda off topic... Anybody have current info on the Lone Pine SC site?

I've been searching the inyoplanning site, but found no new updates. We may not hear from them for awhile, as meeting are often skipped or minutes not posted until much later.

I do have a friend driving up next month, and he promised to stop by. I won't be up there until Christmas.