Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lone Pine, CA (LIVE 28 Jan 2015, multiple expansions, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SC in Lone Pine is located in the parking lot of the Lone Pine Film History Museum.
Lone Pine Film History Museum
The reason there is a film history museum is that Lone Pine has been a favorite location of Hollywood to make movies. There are literally hundreds of movies that have been made in this area.
From the Film History Website:
"About three hours north of Hollywood and a million miles from urban life, nestled in the foothills of the Eastern Sierra Mountains, the little town of Lone Pine, California and the nearby Alabama Hills has been the location for hundreds of films, commercials and television shows. Since the early years of filmmaking, directors and actors, producers and their production units large and small have packed up and left Hollywood for the great outdoors. Approaching the 100[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of The Roundup (1920), the first documented film produced in the area, Lone Pine has played host to hundreds of the industry’s best known directors and actors, among them directors William Wyler, John Ford, George Stephens and William Wellman; and actors as diverse as John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Downey, Jr., and Jeff Bridges. For movie buffs and television viewers around the world these hills in the Owens Valley have portrayed the wilds of the American West (Bad Day at Black Rock, 1954), the valleys of the Himalayas (Gunga Din, 1939), and the Arabian desert (Iron Man, 2008).More recent productions such as Tremors and Joshua Tree, were filmed at "movie ranch" sites known as Movie Flats andMovie Flat Road. In Gladiator, actor Russell Crowe rides a horse in front of the Alabamas, with Mount Whitney in the background, for a scene presumably set in Spain. Star Trek Generations was filmed here in addition to Overton, Nevada andParamount Studios. This range was one of the filming locations for Disney's Dinosaur. More recently, many parts of the filmsIron Man and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen were filmed here."

A complete list of movies is here:
http://www.lonepinefilmhistorymuseum.org/~lonepine/images/stories/lp_film_spreadsheet.pdf

The museum is very good and they have an annual film festival featuring films which were made locally. It's also the "Mt. Whitney Portal" which is the road that leads up to Mt. Whitney (the tallest mountain in the lower 48 US states). It's really worth a trip to visit the town and the museum as well as the surrounding area.
This whole area is just beautiful. The entire Owens valley is spectacular. Death Valley is only a short drive (easy to charge at the Lone Pine SC and do a round trip to Death Valley and I plan to do this as soon as I get my 85D hopefully next month... Winter is the best time to visit Death Valley).

• Informative
Reactions: Sabre Man
The SC in Lone Pine is located in the parking lot of the Lone Pine Film History Museum.
Lone Pine Film History Museum
The reason there is a film history museum is that Lone Pine has been a favorite location of Hollywood to make movies. There are literally hundreds of movies that have been made in this area.
From the Film History Website:
"About three hours north of Hollywood and a million miles from urban life, nestled in the foothills of the Eastern Sierra Mountains, the little town of Lone Pine, California and the nearby Alabama Hills has been the location for hundreds of films, commercials and television shows. Since the early years of filmmaking, directors and actors, producers and their production units large and small have packed up and left Hollywood for the great outdoors. Approaching the 100[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of The Roundup (1920), the first documented film produced in the area, Lone Pine has played host to hundreds of the industry’s best known directors and actors, among them directors William Wyler, John Ford, George Stephens and William Wellman; and actors as diverse as John Wayne, Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Downey, Jr., and Jeff Bridges. For movie buffs and television viewers around the world these hills in the Owens Valley have portrayed the wilds of the American West (Bad Day at Black Rock, 1954), the valleys of the Himalayas (Gunga Din, 1939), and the Arabian desert (Iron Man, 2008).More recent productions such as Tremors and Joshua Tree, were filmed at "movie ranch" sites known as Movie Flats andMovie Flat Road. In Gladiator, actor Russell Crowe rides a horse in front of the Alabamas, with Mount Whitney in the background, for a scene presumably set in Spain. Star Trek Generations was filmed here in addition to Overton, Nevada andParamount Studios. This range was one of the filming locations for Disney's Dinosaur. More recently, many parts of the filmsIron Man and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen were filmed here."

A complete list of movies is here:
http://www.lonepinefilmhistorymuseum.org/~lonepine/images/stories/lp_film_spreadsheet.pdf

The museum is very good and they have an annual film festival featuring films which were made locally. It's also the "Mt. Whitney Portal" which is the road that leads up to Mt. Whitney (the tallest mountain in the lower 48 US states). It's really worth a trip to visit the town and the museum as well as the surrounding area.
This whole area is just beautiful. The entire Owens valley is spectacular. Death Valley is only a short drive (easy to charge at the Lone Pine SC and do a round trip to Death Valley and I plan to do this as soon as I get my 85D hopefully next month... Winter is the best time to visit Death Valley).

The Alabama Hills are a spectacular drive. Do you know how they got that name? It is astonishing that most people who make the commute to Mammoth have absolutely no idea of it's existence. One can simply not appreciate it from the 395. I did one of the Alabama trail loops about 8 years ago, though that was in a 4 wheel drive Jeep. It is a rough dirt road, but I do not believe AWD is necessary. At the same time, I see no need to take "My Precious" on that rocky road.

The Alabama Hills are a spectacular drive. Do you know how they got that name? It is astonishing that most people who make the commute to Mammoth have absolutely no idea of it's existence. One can simply not appreciate it from the 395. I did one of the Alabama trail loops about 8 years ago, though that was in a 4 wheel drive Jeep. It is a rough dirt road, but I do not believe AWD is necessary. At the same time, I see no need to take "My Precious" on that rocky road.
The Wikipedia article on the Alabama Hills is interesting:
"The Alabama Hills were named for CSS Alabama. When news of the Confederate warship's exploits reached prospectors in California sympathetic to the American Civil War Confederates, they named many mining claims after the ship, and the name came to be applied to the entire range.[SUP][3][/SUP] When the Alabama was finally sunk off the coast of Normandy by the USS Kearsarge in 1864, prospectors sympathetic to the North named a mining district, a mountain pass, a mountain peak, and a town after the Kearsarge.[SUP][3]"
[/SUP]

The history of the USS Alabama is also interesting. Apparently it was active in Europe attacking US (Northern) shipping trade and that is where it was finally sunk by the Kearsarge.

The Wikipedia article on the Alabama Hills is interesting:
"The Alabama Hills were named for CSS Alabama. When news of the Confederate warship's exploits reached prospectors in California sympathetic to the American Civil War Confederates, they named many mining claims after the ship, and the name came to be applied to the entire range.[SUP][3][/SUP] When the Alabama was finally sunk off the coast of Normandy by the USS Kearsarge in 1864, prospectors sympathetic to the North named a mining district, a mountain pass, a mountain peak, and a town after the Kearsarge.[SUP][3]"
[/SUP]

The history of the USS Alabama is also interesting. Apparently it was active in Europe attacking US (Northern) shipping trade and that is where it was finally sunk by the Kearsarge.
That is amazing!!! Thanks for that info. Actually, the last time I stayed in Lone Pine was the night before I made the trek through Kearsarge Pass. A slow brutal switch-back hike up a desolate path, until you hit the pass. Then, gorgeous Alpine forests and lakes. If memory serves me right, Charlotte Lake. Lots of bear too.

That is amazing!!! Thanks for that info. Actually, the last time I stayed in Lone Pine was the night before I made the trek through Kearsarge Pass. A slow brutal switch-back hike up a desolate path, until you hit the pass. Then, gorgeous Alpine forests and lakes. If memory serves me right, Charlotte Lake. Lots of bear too.
I used to work in Bishop and spent a lot of time in the Eastern Sierra backpacking. It's just an incredibly beautiful area with tall rugged peaks and alpine terrain. I really need to get back to spending more time backpacking. The Lone Pine SC will make access to that entire area easy.

Owen's Valley, with Lone Pine, Independence, and Saline Valley Hot Springs has been my second home since 40 years! Remember that in Independence, Ray's Den Motel and Independence Inn have both (at my suggestion) installed Nema 14-50. Both of these places are small 8 room motels that are super clean with nice beds.

Silverthorne CO SpC showing some of the Gore Range to the west:

SilverthorneCO.SpC.jpg

--

I am a huge fan of the scenery around Lone Pine, but, I have been to Hope several times on my drives to the Canadian Arctic. I have no picture of the Hope BC Supercharger, but it is right in the center of this very scenic and pleasant town.

Attachments

• BC-hope-aerialview.jpg
    BC-hope-aerialview.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 343
On my drive down 395 last summer I drove the basic Alabama trail loop. I didn't visit all the film sites, but the loop I took was all paved. In places it is a little curved and slow, but it is easy in the Model S. Allow about 40 minutes to drive it, with some quick stops for pictures.

almost done...

Great news! What, no pics??!! :wink:
Can you clarify what you mean by "looks like"? What has been done and what is left?

Felt awkward taking pics in broad daylight with workers there...

2 carpenters were there finishing the rough-sewn planks that hide the transformers. They would have finished that same day based on their progress. It was about 3 when we stopped by.

Another worker (supervisor?) looked like he was inspecting the recently completed asphalt patches. Couldn't tell if parking lines had been drawn yet.

Charging bays themselves looked ready-to-go (although I couldn't tell if the cables were hooked up yet).

A photo is worth a thousand words!

Felt awkward taking pics in broad daylight with workers there....
Take lots of photos! But follow the Golden Rule ask permission from anyone who's face is recognizable, ask if it's OK to snap a couple shots for the forum and be respectful. Expect at least as many questions about your Tesla as you have for the construction crew. After all they are only following a set of plans and a manual
IMG_8249.JPG

All the crews I've met have little experience/insight into the world of EV/Tesla. After I tell them of how great the car is to drive, the freedom from gasoline and the associated solution, they're taking more pride in the task at hand.

After visiting many Supercharger sites under construction/repair, I sense the workers are used to the attention. They've told me many owners stop them and ask questions and take pictures. Crews expressed they feel a sort-of-celebrity status when working on Tesla sites, different than their "last job" (like putting up a cell tower).

Reactions: PStewart
Take lots of photos! But follow the Golden Rule ask permission from anyone who's face is recognizable, ask if it's OK to snap a couple shots for the forum and be respectful.
I consider Rule #2 to be, no pictures at all unless the workers photographed have their Hard Hats on. They may be working on Landscaping and not strictly need them, but in that case I can position the camera so no workers are in the pic.