Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Los Angeles, CA - Alameda St. (LIVE 17 Sep 2020, 16 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any info on when we’re supposed to get more superchargers on the westside?

Charging situation here is a joke. Culver City and Santa Monica are always full. Promised locations in Brentwood, Westwood, Pacific Palisades, Beverly Hills, etc are over a year late. As someone without home charging, it’s becoming inconvenience to own this car. What’s the holdup?

Reactions: tierneyalvin
Supercharger capacity will never be enough. At least not until sales/deliveries slow down. The problem is that Tesla simply produces the best car possible. Coupled with the fact that way too many people don't have home or work charging so they depend on Superchargers more than ever could be anticipated.

Hopefully you hang in there with the vehicle and one day you'll have a home or work charging option and you can have a full car every time you get into it - which really makes electric vehicle ownership so special. When I get a rental car on vacations, it's downright exacerbating to have to fill that thing. Gas stations are so nasty and I really never realized it.

I'm sure you know that between Glendale, Pasadena, and Burbank there are 70 additional stalls - but maybe those are very convenient for you.

Reactions: KBaoBao
Many thousands of people visit BH, WH, Century City every day that don't live there. They would be perfect neighborhoods to put 20-stall urban chargers since you could go out and do some shopping or dining while you charge.

Despite that fact, those areas have nothing, while the South Bay gets its 5th supercharger within a three mile radius.
^This

I live in a West LA apartment building without home charging, as do many many other thousands of people. I don’t have a long daily commute, but to get by, I need to supercharge once every week or two. Putting up with the 405/downtown SM traffic to get to one of those locations, plus the wait in line and charge time, is a *2 hour ordeal* (before the streets were empty).

I really hope Tesla takes advantage of the shutdown to expand its supercharging network. Right now, I can’t in good conscious recommend the car to someone who lives on the westside and doesn’t have home charging.

Supercharger capacity will never be enough. At least not until sales/deliveries slow down. The problem is that Tesla simply produces the best car possible. Coupled with the fact that way too many people don't have home or work charging so they depend on Superchargers more than ever could be anticipated.

Hopefully you hang in there with the vehicle and one day you'll have a home or work charging option and you can have a full car every time you get into it - which really makes electric vehicle ownership so special. When I get a rental car on vacations, it's downright exacerbating to have to fill that thing. Gas stations are so nasty and I really never realized it.

I'm sure you know that between Glendale, Pasadena, and Burbank there are 70 additional stalls - but maybe those are very convenient for you.

Getting to any of those locations is a 2 hour trek on a weekday during traffic. And the mileage alone would burn about 20% of my range.

It seems like there are enough superchargers pretty much everywhere besides West LA. If Tesla’s logic is that everybody lives in a house on the westside, they are wrong. I’m more inclined to think it’s because they don’t want to pay up for the premium real estate prices. Needs to change or their market will be limited here.

Getting to any of those locations is a 2 hour trek on a weekday during traffic. And the mileage alone would burn about 20% of my range.

It seems like there are enough superchargers pretty much everywhere besides West LA. If Tesla’s logic is that everybody lives in a house on the westside, they are wrong. I’m more inclined to think it’s because they don’t want to pay up for the premium real estate prices. Needs to change or their market will be limited here.
I can’t agree more. We need one in BH, Westwood, Brentwood, Sherman Oaks, Calabasas. They could put one near the Century City mall, maybe I feel that way because I live 0.3 miles from there but you get the point

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt

Aren’t you able to use any third party chargers like EV Go and ChargePoint? Tesla is supposed to be listing them as charging stations on the navigation app.

Aren’t you able to use any third party chargers like EV Go and ChargePoint? Tesla is supposed to be listing them as charging stations on the navigation app.

Yes. But those chargers are slow, not within walking distance of home, and sometimes charge for parking (in addition to charging fees). Sometimes I don’t want to leave my car plugged in at Westwood Village or Century City for hours on end while I kill time. They just need to add superchargers in this part of LA.

Yes. But those chargers are slow, not within walking distance of home, and sometimes charge for parking (in addition to charging fees). Sometimes I don’t want to leave my car plugged in at Westwood Village or Century City for hours on end while I kill time. They just need to add superchargers in this part of LA.
Couldn’t agree more. Been tweeting Elon to add some in Westwood/BH/West LA

Level 5 of the parking structure:
20200801_180341.jpg

When I am in LA I hit up the free DWP chargers all around town for 50kW of juice, only 12kW slower than the Urban Superchargers.
:) Maybe it's just a typo, but if not you should double check your math there, Randy. Though, even doing the math right to get a 22 kW nominal difference, you're probably actually getting only high 30s or low 40s for a lot of a charging session via the CHAdeMO adapter. Assuming the superchargers are working properly (maybe a bad assumption?), you should get the full 72 kW for a big portion of a full charge. CHAdeMO may be worth it for location convenience + access and since you're getting free juice, but the time differential is a consideration.

Yes, I was rounding up, though I have never spent more than a little over an hour doing a full 86% charge on CHAdeMO. I have not spent much time at the Urban Superchargers perhaps they are faster, I am a hunter, more of a touch and go type. Actually charging at a Supercharger costs money. That's great if I need to but if I am just out for a drive I can stop at a CHAdeMO or a J1772 for a time. I find all this entertainment in the car that others must not have time to enjoy.

Last edited: