Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Louisville, KY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I am not an owner of a Tesla S/X, I am a nearly obsessed fan of the Tesla, and as a Louisville native, I'm so pleased that the Supercharger has finally been opened here for use by any Tesla owners passing through our fair city. Welcome to Louusville, even if your stay here is only long enough to charge your car and have a cup of coffee or a meal. One of these days, when the Tesla Model 3 is launched, I intend to buy one of those and join the ranks of those driving a pure electric car. I can't wait!

I have a buddy who lives just around the corner from these superchargers (he was texting me some pics early on in construction, too) who is now excited I may be able to now come visit him "for free".

These superchargers are making me want to visit places I never would have wanted to visit otherwise!

Hip, Hip, Hooray!! I can now drive my Model S from Michigan directly to Nashville in one day! I do that about 4 times a year! No more car rentals! Thank you, Tesla!!!

I make similar trip from Alabama to north Indiana a couple of times per year. Third Christmas since my Model S arrived that I was not able to drive the Tesla. Missed by 5 days. I'll have to again make the trip soon just to use the Superchargers.

However there is the Dayton Hamfest for which Louisville trims 100+ miles off the route!

I have a buddy who lives just around the corner from these superchargers (he was texting me some pics early on in construction, too) who is now excited I may be able to now come visit him "for free".

These superchargers are making me want to visit places I never would have wanted to visit otherwise!

These Superchargers are teaching me about US Geography and the Interstate and US Numbered Highway systems.

This is a shorter route than the one I took on a recent round trip between FL AND Chicago via eastern KY and Cincy. However, the 190 mile gap between Brentwood, TN and Louisville is still a concern. Are there any plans for an intermediate station, say, in Bowling Green or thereabouts?

This is a shorter route than the one I took on a recent round trip between FL AND Chicago via eastern KY and Cincy. However, the 190 mile gap between Brentwood, TN and Louisville is still a concern. Are there any plans for an intermediate station, say, in Bowling Green or thereabouts?

Tesla is reportedly actively working on a Bowling Green location, but it hasn't been found yet.

I agree the 190 mile gap is not ideal. Started today with 228 miles in the battery at 28°F and 170 miles later (on 2-lane, with heater the first half) the car was cautioning me about the need to charge soon. Got home with 35 miles remaining.

In warmer temperatures with the A/C I would arrive home from this same trip with at least 90 miles remaining. Heck, its why I bought a Tesla, to be able to make this little 170 mile trip. Next time in the cold I'll punch the charge up to 240 or more. Haven't used a full range charge for this trip since the first time which developed trust in the "fuel gauge."

You have a P85 and you are concerned about 190 miles??? Could be you just need to slow down a bit! I have driven mine 280 miles on a single charge without endangering others

You have a P85 and you are concerned about 190 miles??? Could be you just need to slow down a bit! I have driven mine 280 miles on a single charge without endangering others

It doesn't only have to do with speed. There are several other factors (I assume you know :biggrin:):

• Weather: driving in cold weather, I saw a noticeable drop in range, which made previously easy routes a little tight.
  • Rain/Snow can also make a difference.
  • If the speed limit is 70, that's well above ideal energy use, and around here, that would still be slow (and get you run over).
  • On a long drive, it's more comfortable to drive a little faster and charge more often (but with significantly shorter charges). I've already experienced this first-hand.
  • That full range is only if the battery is 100%. If you are in the middle of a long trip, it's really annoying to wait the full hour+ for 100% charge, rather than hop in after 20 minutes and keep going for another 2-3 hours. (Unless that happens to be a food break, but even then it can be a wait.)

With the weather lately, even when just driving locally (so, never above 60mph), I'm having a hard time keeping energy use below 380kWh. That puts my 85D max range around 210 miles.

It doesn't only have to do with speed. There are several other factors (I assume you know :biggrin:):

Ditto. Saturday I departed on my usual 150 mile visit starting with 230 miles in the battery. Got home with only 35 remaining. Started at 28°F. Heater was set to 66°F with limiting due to Range mode. Turned heat off before I arrived and left it off on the return trip.

190 miles is achievable, but not ideal.

Having driven I-65 both ways between Nashville and Louisville for Christmas there is one thing in your favor: large stretches of construction posted 55 MPH. Sadly Louisville was not open in time to have driven the Model S.

Charged in Louisville last night and today - getting less than 200 miles per hour despite being the only car here both times.

Anyone else ever see a charging time so low as a solo user?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    294.5 KB · Views: 60