Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Madison, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I frequent this SC to-and-from Shenandoah NP monthly when it is open for camping. The last four SC visits, as part of two NPS trips, I've noticed a fairly large service/work vehicle parked in an SC stall. The stalls are never filled but neither are the half dozen non-SC parking stalls next to the SC.

I initially shrugged it off; however, this last time the truck was parked in the sole pull-in charge stall--presumably for those with a trailer, and others. Does anyone have any non-aggressive/-presumptive steps that can be taken to potentially resolve the issue. (Maybe go to a different SC? :p) Thanks!

Have you tried reaching out to management at the host site (I think it's a Sheetz, right?) I've heard Sheetz is somewhat proactive about enforcing parking. If it's the same truck, maybe they can help out with the situation, or possibly be willing to put a cone up in the spot. Maybe also try reaching out to Sheetz on social media--they are quite responsive.

Reactions: swengl and Itsuo-DC
Have you tried reaching out to management at the host site (I think it's a Sheetz, right?) I've heard Sheetz is somewhat proactive about enforcing parking. If it's the same truck, maybe they can help out with the situation, or possibly be willing to put a cone up in the spot. Maybe also try reaching out to Sheetz on social media--they are quite responsive.
I appreciate the input. I had assumed the opposite response in asking Sheetz about it, although I was thinking about the reaction of the cashier not someone with regional oversight or corporate communications. I'll send the photo I have and raise for Sheetz's SA. Thanks!

I appreciate the input. I had assumed the opposite response in asking Sheetz about it, although I was thinking about the reaction of the cashier not someone with regional oversight or corporate communications. I'll send the photo I have and raise for Sheetz's SA. Thanks!
I usually make it a point to thank the cashier at Sheetz (or other host site), even though chances are they don't really care, but sometimes I get a positive reaction. You could always start with that to "set the tone", and then ask to speak to the manager as you have some suggestions for improving the charging experience for their EV clientele (which might include putting a garbage can and squeegee out near the Superchargers!) I am definitely convinced that Sheetz "gets it" and really see the future in EVs.

I usually make it a point to thank the cashier at Sheetz (or other host site), even though chances are they don't really care, but sometimes I get a positive reaction. You could always start with that to "set the tone", and then ask to speak to the manager as you have some suggestions for improving the charging experience for their EV clientele (which might include putting a garbage can and squeegee out near the Superchargers!) I am definitely convinced that Sheetz "gets it" and really see the future in EVs.
I've had similar experiences at a few different Sheetz stores: the staff seems to appreciate the green aspect of hosting the SuCs.

Reactions: Bobbo8 and Itsuo-DC

I've had similar experiences at a few different Sheetz stores: the staff seems to appreciate the green aspect of hosting the SuCs.

Makes sense! I had never even heard of Sheetz before using SCs located at them. Now we make food orders online en route and stock up at them!

Reactions: swengl and RTPEV
Update to this thread. Unfortunately the vehicle was still there when I checked on both July 1 and July 4.

On July 1 while charging I asked to speak to someone at the location–as previously suggested–about ”a parking question” so as not to prejudice the interaction as a complaint. Someone was recalled from the back and I think I spoke to some sort if supervisor but I can’t be sure. It wasn’t easy to get my point across and in retrospect I think it may be because they were aware of the issue.

I started the interact by being very complimentary about the location (cleanliness, service, prepared food quality, etc.) then moved to a question about the obstructed parking at the SCs when there are so many other available parking spots.

They reflexively assured me that they try to keep the charging stations open and even try to enforce those who park for longer than -15min. I tried then to gently suggest there is a serial offender that is there at that exact moment, and has serendipitously been there every time I’ve visited for the last three months.

They had the tone/demeanor of someone who was willing to hear me out but didn’t seem interested or understanding of the actual issue at hand. They walked out with me so I could show them the vehicle: it was at that point they revealed it was Sheetz’s own service truck! After viewing the blank look on my face in response to the revelation, they then backtracked and tried to indicate the service truck only parks in other “end stalls”. Assuming they meant the end charging stall I tried to explain how important that stall is for anyone towing, etc. etc. I followed by gently suggesting maybe they could park the service truck in one of its 30+ other available parking stalls. In response I was then told they cannot park in any of the other stalls because those are reserved for customers! At this point I almost had to laugh, at either the ignorance of the person–to how what they were saying might sound to someone in my position–or at how dryly the person was able to deliver the unwelcome information.

At that point, after realizing I hadn’t made any progress and realizing almost every stereotype about the dichotomous perspectives between rural/urban people has been fulfilled, I was resigned to just thank them for their attention on this important(?) matter.

Imagine my thoughts when I came back three days later to (predictably) see the vehicle blocking a stall but this time moved two stalls over to sit exactly in the towing stall I emphasized was the one to avoid. Oh well.

3BFCBCE2-5642-4449-91DF-9C600EBB5CCB.jpeg

(July 1)

9FC4ACBE-A2F1-4B92-A10C-EA6422144E4D.jpeg

(July 4)

A8CE793C-A3C5-4713-B7A5-BD90F53785C8.jpeg

(July 4: with non-charging parking stall at the far end available and visible.)

Reactions: RTPEV
Update to this thread. Unfortunately the vehicle was still there when I checked on both July 1 and July 4.

On July 1 while charging I asked to speak to someone at the location–as previously suggested–about ”a parking question” so as not to prejudice the interaction as a complaint. Someone was recalled from the back and I think I spoke to some sort if supervisor but I can’t be sure. It wasn’t easy to get my point across and in retrospect I think it may be because they were aware of the issue.

I started the interact by being very complimentary about the location (cleanliness, service, prepared food quality, etc.) then moved to a question about the obstructed parking at the SCs when there are so many other available parking spots.

They reflexively assured me that they try to keep the charging stations open and even try to enforce those who park for longer than -15min. I tried then to gently suggest there is a serial offender that is there at that exact moment, and has serendipitously been there every time I’ve visited for the last three months.

They had the tone/demeanor of someone who was willing to hear me out but didn’t seem interested or understanding of the actual issue at hand. They walked out with me so I could show them the vehicle: it was at that point they revealed it was Sheetz’s own service truck! After viewing the blank look on my face in response to the revelation, they then backtracked and tried to indicate the service truck only parks in other “end stalls”. Assuming they meant the end charging stall I tried to explain how important that stall is for anyone towing, etc. etc. I followed by gently suggesting maybe they could park the service truck in one of its 30+ other available parking stalls. In response I was then told they cannot park in any of the other stalls because those are reserved for customers! At this point I almost had to laugh, at either the ignorance of the person–to how what they were saying might sound to someone in my position–or at how dryly the person was able to deliver the unwelcome information.

At that point, after realizing I hadn’t made any progress and realizing almost every stereotype about the dichotomous perspectives between rural/urban people has been fulfilled, I was resigned to just thank them for their attention on this important(?) matter.

Imagine my thoughts when I came back three days later to (predictably) see the vehicle blocking a stall but this time moved two stalls over to sit exactly in the towing stall I emphasized was the one to avoid. Oh well.

View attachment 682551
(July 1)

View attachment 682547
(July 4)

View attachment 682555

Thanks for your efforts. I would like to point out that none of the stalls at this location are set up for vehicles with trailers since all of them are back-in spaces.

View attachment 682551
(July 1)

View attachment 682547
(July 4)

View attachment 682555
The same white van was occupying one of the "general parking" designated stalls for at least 20 minutes when we were last there on May 14th.

Based on the information here that this particular vehicle is regularly blocking the spaces, including the ones reserved for Tesla Vehicle Charging Only, I reported my observations to Tesla per the instructions on the Tesla Supercharging Support page.

A non-Tesla car is parked in a Supercharger stall, what should I do?
Most Supercharger stalls are reserved for Tesla charging but some stalls allow general parking. Please be aware of stall signage and if a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a Supercharger stall for greater than the posted time limits, please notify us.

Will send a note to Sheetz upper management as soon as I locate an appropriate contact at HQ.

MadisonVASpc1.png

-Lanny

Thanks for your efforts. I would like to point out that none of the stalls at this location are set up for vehicles with trailers since all of them are back-in spaces.
You're right. I'm so used to seeing the wrap around (towing) stall on the end I though this one was the same (obviously a non-tower). Hopefully our towing community will appreciate that I had their interests in mind--even if erroneously on this occasion!

Reactions: Big Earl
The same white van was occupying one of the "general parking" designated stalls for at least 20 minutes when we were last there on May 14th.

Based on the information here that this particular vehicle is regularly blocking the spaces, including the ones reserved for Tesla Vehicle Charging Only, I reported my observations to Tesla per the instructions on the Tesla Supercharging Support page.

Will send a note to Sheetz upper management as soon as I locate an appropriate contact at HQ.

View attachment 682584

-Lanny

Wow, Sheetz already replied to me and sounds like they will be looking into it. I really love Sheetz and what they are doing for the EV community!

I have an August update on this story. I went back down to SNP for the weekend and stopped at my (previously) beloved SC at the Sheetz in Madison, VA. I was eager to see what if anything had happened since a number of us made disparate efforts to raise the issues with Sheetz.

Tada!

It took a while but the winds of change finally appear to have arrived at this location. No telling how long they will last but both on Friday and Sunday when I visited the trick was comfortably tucked into the shady corner spot next to the SC stalls.
5B822B3C-F284-4EBC-833F-F4CC9D302330.jpeg

And for anyone just tuning in this was the previous state of affairs…

F66C78EF-57F1-4109-AD99-837C0E237810.jpeg

Many thanks to @RTPEV @Lanny @swengl for the suggestions and encouragement. Hopefully this is the end of this chapter for the Madison, VA SC!

It wasn’t all a good news story, en route to SNP some turbo decided not to let me merge at the lat min in a two-to-one traffic merge:rolleyes:. Minor damage and no one was hurt so I’ll try not to dwell on it.

B18B8531-E114-4F1D-B4EE-F39D922F6428.jpeg

Reactions: Lanny
I have an August update on this story. I went back down to SNP for the weekend and stopped at my (previously) beloved SC at the Sheetz in Madison, VA. I was eager to see what if anything had happened since a number of us made disparate efforts to raise the issues with Sheetz.
I want to "Like" this post, but I can't bring myself to because of the unrelated mishap you also reported. I am so sorry!